Raised by 2 Witness Parents or 1 Witness and I "Worldly

by dinah 12 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

Hi Sylvia!

Just from reading on here, I can almost understand how hard it would be to leave if BOTH parents were "strong" in the truth. It makes me feel like I have no right to complain about much. I had so much more freedom, and leaving was much easier because I had family who were never in the religion.

Of course I believed what they taught, including that my Dad was to be killed in a gory manner for not attending meetings.

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

My mum was a Catholic but became a JW a couple of years after I was born. My dad was pretty agnostic/atheistic most of his life and left my mum to raise me as she saw fit. So I was pretty much raised in the truth with a single believing parent.

The JWs initially used to always try and 'convert' my dad and instigated my mum to constantly 'preach' to him... really did his head in!

I guess it's a lot easier for me to leave/fade than it would be if both my parents were staunch JWs.... I'm grateful for my good fortune :D

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother was the one who took us to hall most of the time. Dan went fairly frequently in the late 60's (he got baptised in 1968, six years after he married Mom) and the early 70's but became inactive after 1975 (kinda of a double whammy of the '75 fiasco and my brother's drowing accident). Dad even started smoking again but that didn't last long. For a long time the only time Dad would go to hall was for the memorial and he would also attend the CAs and the DAs. Just recently (I think in the last four years) Dad's become totally immersed in the bOrg, he's doing the bookstudy readings and pioneering. I can't say that it's really improved his disposition, I liked him better when he didn't go to meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit