NWT changes translation to not pray to Jesus

by sacolton 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sacolton
    sacolton

The Majority text (most dating from around the 9th century) split on this issue with some containing the “me” and others dropping the “me.” But in recent years, scholars have uncovered manuscripts of the Christian Greek Scriptures (New Testament) that date as far back as the second and third centuries. The oldest manuscripts we have available today of this verse in the Gospel of John are Papyrus 66, written in 125 A.D., and Papyrus 75, written sometime between 175-225 A.D. Both of these papyrus fragments contain the “me” in this passage. Not only do the oldest fragments of John that we possess today contain the “me,” but two of the oldest ancient complete copies of the entire Bible in Greek, the Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus (also called the Wescott and Hort manuscripts) written around the 4th century, both agree with the papyrus’ renderings of “ask me” in John 14:14.

Since Desiderius Erasmus complied and published the Greek text (Textus Receptus) of the King James Bible version in the 1500’s, he did not have access to the older Greek manuscripts that we have today. Thus, the King James Bible version and other Bible versions based upon the Textus Receptus or the Majority text (including the Watchtower Society’s Emphatic Diaglott Greet text published by Benjamin Wilson in 1942), do not contain the “me” in John 14:14. While these Bibles leave out the “me” based upon the text of the Greek manuscripts they follow, this is not the case for the Watchtower Society’s New World Translation. It claims to be based upon the Greek text of the “Wescott and Hort” (the Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus) ** both of which support the rendering of “me” in “ask me anything.” Therefore, when the translators of the New World Translationchose to omit the “me,” they do so with clear bias against the manuscript support for prayers to Jesus. Indeed, John 14:14 is a strong testimony to Jesus’ approval of the early Christian practice of directing their prayers to Jesus Christ as God.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Sacolton, you sound like you may be starting to have some doubts about the FDS being the channel God is using today?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Maybe if I put more hours in my field service these doubts will go away?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

exactly Saco! You need to put in more hours in field service, personal study, and prayer. LOL So put these doubts on the backburner, do not speak of them to anyone. If you are right, these changes will be made thru the proper channel. Your job is to wait on Jehovah to do this and be obedient to the FDS.

Oh God, I got to puke!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

How's your meeting attendance? You know, the KH is where holy spirit (note the lowercase) and directives from Governing Body (note the caps) are found. Also, have you been studying the Bible without any WT literature? Be careful or you may resort to believing the doctrines of mainstream Christianity.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Saco,

Every bible translation shows a bias to the beliefs of the translators.

The NWT is just far more obvious than some others.

The problem is that they, like others, are hesitant to admit that the base their translation on their doctrine and NOT the other way around.

So they choose the verse that accomadate their doctrines and translate them favourably.

• sacolton
    sacolton

PSacramento, I totally agree and it really shows in this particular scripture.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

And in John and in Colossians and Romans and so many others.

They are open about it though, when you PRESS them and show thier "error".

I had on elder and bethelite openly admit that it was translated that way ( Romans 10:13 in this case) because it conformed to the WT doctrine and to what THEy believed to be correct, even IF the context of that verse implied something different.

• awildflower
    awildflower

exactly Saco! You need to put in more hours in field service, personal study, and prayer. LOL So put these doubts on the backburner, do not speak of them to anyone. If you are right, these changes will be made thru the proper channel. Your job is to wait on Jehovah to do this and be obedient to the FDS.

Oh God, I got to puke!

So funny Isaac!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit