NWT changes translation to not pray to Jesus

by sacolton 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sacolton
    sacolton

John 14:14

New International Version (©1984)
    You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

The Kingdom Interlinear Translation uses the Westcott-Hort text, and that's how it reads in the KIT. So there is that first "me" there. The KIT's interlinear reads as follows: "if ever anything you should ask me in the name of me this I shall do." The New World Translation, however, does not translate the Westcott-Hort text at this verse, but instead reads: "If YOU ask anything in my name, I will do it." No "me", despite its presence in the original and in the edition of the Greek the NWT is supposedly translated from.

It is a terrible tragedy that millions of JW's refuse to take Jesus at His word in this loving and gracious promise because of a mistranslation of the Westcott-Hort text by the Watchtower's translation committee. With the exception of theNWT, this is not a translation issue, it is a textual variant issue. Every other translation I know of either accepts the original reading (with "me" in it) and translates it, or else accepts the later, corrupt reading (without "me" in it) and translates that. The NWT is unique in having right in its own interlinear the original reading, but in the text it has a translation of a completely different, later, corrupt reading.

• Nephilim
    Nephilim

I don't think anybody here is going to argue that NWT is a piece of trash?

As far as terrible tragedies go there are far worse things going on then a simple mistranslation.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Sacolton,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I never knew this until now...

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Very deceptive translation alright. Thanks for pointing it out. Might be a good one to share with relatives who have the KIT.

• lingno2
    lingno2

i may not follow that past but thanks i'll go over to grind it.

• free2think
    free2think

oimoi

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

sacolton, I don't see a problem with the KIT's rendition. They have rendered the verse correctly.

edit: Greek usually reads like that and pronouns don't need to be doubled up as in Westcott and Hort.

But taken in context here is what the message bible says (with some present day colloquial language which gives the verses a more immediate feel)

John 14:11-14 (The Message)

11-14 "Believe me: I am in my Father and my Father is in me. If you can't believe that, believe what you see—these works. The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do.

• sacolton
    sacolton

QL, the only thing missing from the end of that present-day translation is: "Can you dig it? Peace out."

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I knew there were changes and mistranslations to fit doctrine but specifics are always welcome. Is there a compilation of all of these (or even just several) somewhere on the web? Most churchy folks focus on John 1:1 and there are numerous websites about that, but Dubs are trained to block that out. This one at John 14:14 can be shown up as a wrong translation FROM THEIR OWN INTERLINEAR BIBLE.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

sacolton

QL, the only thing missing from the end of that present-day translation is: "Can you dig it? Peace out."

I guess you don't (dig it that is)

But I stand by what I said - westcott and hort are over translating. Perhaps the WTS in general are aware of such over translations but go to the other extreme by tending to take Jesus out of the picture altogether.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit