prayer before eating

by stillin 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inbetween
    inbetween

hm, at home in the family, I think it has its value, reminds you to be thankful in general, which is not a bad thing...

however, i hate it in public, always did the same as cantleave did (and hoped nobody else around notices)

• stillin
    stillin

inbetween, I agree that an attitude of gratitude is a good thing. It's just the rule of thumb that the FDS has that "if there are pagan roots, root it out" that bothers me. I'm thankful for being made with the capacity to ENJOY a meal, or anything else that's enjoyable. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tradition of praying before meals was not at all rooted in either the ancient Isrealite culture or the first century christian culture, but rather, that evil Christendom, or worse, paganism!

• logic
    logic

I have went through this with jw friends and relatives. I don't say prayer before meals. If they want to that

is ok with me. I thank god in private. I think it is just a showy display. If you have to bring up

saying the prayer then it doesn't mean much. If you say it for the food how about saying

one before you begin to drive in your car, etc., or before you breath. The whole thing is silly.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Good Food

Good Meat

Good God

Let's Eat!

• cry
    cry

I hate the fact that JWs go ahead and give thanks even in the company of non believers - it is so insensitive. There is absolutley no need for it. I myself prefer Rabbie Burns Selkirk Grace - any Scots out there will know what I mean

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I myself prefer Rabbie Burns Selkirk Grace - any Scots out there will know what I mean

I'm not a Scot, can you tell me what that means?

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I'm actually surprised that praying before meals hasn't yet been banned. After all it is a custom that is shared with Christendom.

• zarco
    zarco

OM -

Whenever my wife, my daughter or any other female says the toast I insist that they wear a head covering. So far no one's obeyed.Where did I go wrong?

The females in your family sound a lot like mine, I feel lucky I don't have to wear a head covering:)

zarco

• cry
    cry

Mrs Jones, the Rabbie Burrns 'Selkirk Grace' recited on Burns night it as follows:-

"Some hae meat and cannot eat

And some wad eat that want it

But we hae meat and we can eat

And sae the Lord be thankit"

Ok - now in English!

Some have meat and they can eat

Some cannot eat that want it

But we have meat and we can eat

So let the Lord be thanked

This grace usually covers, the believers and non- believers and doesn't really cause offence. Well not after a few whiskeys!!!

• stillin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit