Indiana "Religious Freedom" (right to discriminate)

by Simon 274 Replies latest social current

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    never a jw2 minutes ago

JD,

You made quite a great deal of assumptions about me, just because I believe in the greatest amount freedom possible for organized society. You confirmed it, the Christian in you still alive and well.

Wait, what did I do? Have you even posted in this thread I've only caught the last few posts...

• DJS
    DJS

Rand Paul has gone on record stating that privately owned establishments should be able to decide whom to serve without government interference. This is in lockstep with the Libertarian's darling Ayn Rand, who believed that race issues would be better resolved without government intervention.

Let's see if Mr. Paul starts moon walking as fast as he can backwards if he decides to run a national campaign. My bet is that he will make Brother Michael look like an amateur. He has already started softening some of his more rhetorical and hard-line Libertarian views. Like the X-tian fundies and the Far Right, he plays better at home.

As for Ms. Rand, history has shown how pathetically mean and misinformed she was about this and other topics.

Libertarianism is an ideal. A grand concept. That's all it is. In theory I wish government would go away and leave us all alone. But I live in the real world; I hope that government only does what is necessary. Leading the way in ending discrimination, IMHO, is necessary.

• JeffT
    JeffT
    What if the customer isn't a person?

If it's not a person what the hell is it? For the record, I'll take anybody's (anything's?) money, also under the Washington State ADA you have to allow service animals in your establishment.

If you're trying to be coy about a religion being the customer, in the United States a corporation (which an organized religion is) is a legally the same as a person. See Citizens United v FEC. Which I think was probably legally correct but morally wrong. While we're at it, I think the Hobby Lobby decision was wrong. If I was CEO of Michael's (HL's main competition around here) I'd sue the Feds and demand equal treatment under the 14th Amendment.

• never a jw
    never a jw

JD

Who said every libertarian worships Ms. Rand or even gives a rip about libertarian politicians. I don't follow humans. I embrace principle. You implies lot of stuff that is completely unsupported by anything that I have written.

• never a jw
    never a jw

This whole thread is an exercise in futility. Why would anyone want to force homosexuals into a homophobic group. You guys remind me of the biblical text where Israelite raped women were given into permanent bond and submission to their rapists. What?!!!

In fact, why would women want to be part of a misogynistic group is astounding. Do as Thomas Jefferson did, cut the unpleasant parts of the Bible and create a new form of Christianity. Go even further, make God a woman or gay, or lesbian and form your own group, get baptized and married there, surrounded by people who share your values. I have a lot more respect for this arrangement than I do for the masochist suggestions here. In fact I commit to donating $100.00 to this type of creative and practical effort.

• never a jw
    never a jw

JD,

Sorry, I must have dyslexia. It should have been DJS

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    never a jw7 minutes ago

JD,

Sorry, I must have dyslexia. It should have been DJS

Oh okay. I was so confused! It's all good my friend. You guys are talking about some stuff I don't know the first thing about. But it sounds interesting.

• DJS
    DJS

JD,

You are speaking for yourself. I understand. You aren't speaking for Libertarians as a group. I understand. Otherwise I don't understand what you mean about forcing people into groups. The laws supporting gay marriage aren't forcing anything on anyone. Those who think they are simply don't want others to have legal rights that they have enjoyed forever.

Laws requiring for profit commercial businesses to serve everyone regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation aren't force. They simply allow access that they themselves have enjoyed forever. The only 'force' is coming from the X-tians, the Libertarians and the Far R, which want to force their own views down everyone's throat. They've lost a lot of court cases recently and they are striking back in mean spirited ways with needless laws that allow X-tians and other haters to continue discriminating and validate their hate.

Within a generation or so this will be a moot point. Gay marriage and equal access will be the norm, and people in the future will look back at the haters in 2015 and compare them to the KKK and other 20th Century hate mongers. And that's not an opinion.

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Within a generation or so this will be a moot point.

Less in my opinion. All three of my children (ages 39, 38, 29) see this as a non issue. Even folks my age are changing our opinions. I believe recent polling puts support for gay marriage somewhere above 50% depending on which poll you look at. I imagine that this issue will be done within ten years, tops.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Yet you are willing to tell people what they think despite the fact they've told you in explicit terms what you say is not what they think

If you have an example me telling someone what they think, please show me where that has happened and I will, of course, apologize.

Otherwise, you're just making stuff up. Again.

You do this based on restating someone's position and then plying that restatement to mean something different than the original author said.

Oh, sorry. Paraphrasing and restating another way while preserving the same meaning of what you wrote isn't "telling you what you think".

Yep, you were making stuff up again. Or you're very confused.

You seem to be a bright person. Why do you do these things, and then complain as you do above apparently without realizing you've just described yourself?

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of not giving a sh*t over the stuff you're making up.

Let me know if you have anything true to say. Otherwise, you're not worth any more effort (though to be fair, I can't guarantee I won't change my mind depending on how bored I am).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit