Indiana "Religious Freedom" (right to discriminate)

by Simon 274 Replies latest social current

• never a jw
    never a jw

X-tian, R Wing, Libertarians and Egoist haters are trying in vain to support your hatred of gays

Really, so you disagree with me in public policy and therefore I am a hater. You sound quite the Christian. As a libertarian, I support gays and black people and just about anyone that breathes, but I don't run to big brother to fix anything I don't like, as you seemingly want to do. We libertarian hold as the most precious, and essentially the only real right, the right to freedom to choose whatever you want as long as you don't bring physical harm to others.

• Viviane
    Viviane

JD, fortunately I really don't care what people who don't know me in the slightest decide to pretend they know. I do, however, find that behavior a curious combination of lack of knowledge and arrogance.

• never a jw
    never a jw

They are free to not open a business to the public is they want to deny service to gay people, women Catholics, etc.

Similarly, you and anyone is free not to patronize or support any business whose practices you don't like. I find this choice a lot easier to follow and much better than yours. And is true freedom at every end. Your view restricts freedom from the get-go. Your view, however, is more popular. Be happy, that you still follow what is popular.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Ah, sorry Marvin, was typing in a hurry and didn't notice the loaded with anger part.

I wonder what it's like to live in your head, ehere reality is apparently not a thing. i only ask because of the thing s you're pretending to know about me (that are laughably wrong and and an obvious, hamfisted attempt to make the argument personal, about me and direct away from the real topic of your failed question, a sure sign you've spun out of control) and the constant misconstruing of you arguing with your own words.

Anyway, since you've not stopped kicking your dog due to your insufferable feelings of inadequacy, i will now bow out of any further conversation with you on this. Also, i am boarding a flight and have actual things to do, like take a nap and see if it's humanly possible to care that than i already don't about your's and JD's ficticious versions of reality where you can blame your failures on me being smart and angry.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Don't fret though, boys. At some point i'll deplane, get back online and give you the attention from a strong, smart woman you so obviously crave.

i have to admit, this whole "making stuff up about people" can be fun. I can see why you resort to it.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    JD, fortunately I really don't care what people who don't know me in the slightest decide to pretend they know. I do, however, find that behavior a curious combination of lack of knowledge and arrogance.

Yet you are willing to tell people what they think despite the fact they've told you in explicit terms what you say is not what they think. You do this based on restating someone's position and then plying that restatement to mean something different than the original author said. It does not matter to you that an author took time to correct your misconstructed paraphrase. You just keep truckin along as though your restated proposition is true no matter what. That you don't care becomes fairly obvious, which is why when I said you're loaded with anger I added that you're also probably loaded with yourself. You demonstrate lack of knowledge, and you demonstrate the very arrogance you complain of. When someone comments on this they're not speaking of something they know not the slightest about but, rather, what they see unfolding in front of their eyes.

You seem to be a bright person. Why do you do these things, and then complain as you do above apparently without realizing you've just described yourself?

• DJS
    DJS

Yes I think you are a hater; you mask it and hide it behind Libertarianism. In theory I'm a Libertarian; I would love to do what I want whenever I want. I get it. But as nice as all of that sounds, we have one planet, and we are better as a species if we are tolerant of others. I also wish that there were no government controls on anything, but I'm smart enough to know that we can't live in a world like that.

Although it is a nice theory, and I wished we could all practice it, in reality it is immature to think that we can all get along, play nice and build a better world without rules and laws. I hate lawyers and laws and avoid the inside of a courtroom at all costs, just like you, but others who feel discriminated against have the legal and constitutional right to file suit, especially when enough is fukking enough, in order to level playing fields and to gain access and acceptance. Carrying out the Libertarian viewpoint to its obvious conclusion would lead us back to discrimination against blacks, the disabled, women, etc. Just because you think that you would just find another option so everyone else should as well is also an immature, childish behavior.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

But as nice as all of that sounds, we have one planet, and we are better as a species if we are tolerant of others. I also wish that there were no government controls on anything, but I'm smart enough to know that we can't live in a world like that.

Although it is a nice theory, and I wished we could all practice it, in reality it is immature to think that we can all get along, play nice and build a better world without rules and laws.

Very well stated!

At the end of the day our universe is a very violent place where fairness is a human construct that hopefully will yield a furtherance of the specie, but it may not. In the meantime fairness is something most humans look to as virtuous hence necessary. But what is fair from one person's perspective is unfair from another person's perspective; hence the need for rules, which means government. It's an ugly way to muddle through, but for now it's what we've got.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    But as nice as all of that sounds, we have one planet, and we are better as a species if we are tolerant of others

This sums up my feelings on this subject. I haven't read every page of this yet so if you're actually for the law and not against it it's not my intention to misrepresent your words. I just like this sentence a lot.

The moment we let intolerance and discrimination become legal, and I mean that on both sides be it religious against gay rights or homosexuals against religious, we become our own worst enemy. In that decision we've essentially opened the door to segregation, and announced open season on whichever group any particular majority chooses to hate. It could be any race of your choosing hating any race of theirs, any religion, any one group verses any group for any strong belief that the other is immoral or wrong.

and any one of us on this planet could be on that losing side just for being ourselves. This law is dangerous.

• never a jw
    never a jw

JD,

You made quite a great deal of assumptions about me, just because I believe in the greatest amount freedom possible for organized society. You confirmed it, the Christian in you still alive and well.

By the way, I realized that libertarianism is only possible when most people believe in it. I am not trying to persuade anyone to become one. Just expressing my ideals. Ultimately, for the real world, where you have more than 7 billion minds pursuing their own personal interest, the Socratic doctrine of moderation is a lot more practical than the utopic ideals of libertarians. I hope this makes you less of a hater of anyone who disagrees with you in public policy.

You hate lawyers. I don't.

Your Avatar is quite deceptive, does not reflect how you write.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit