Do you hold any ''responsibility'' for the believing the WTS?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sd-7
    sd-7

Absolutely, I bear responsibility for believing them. Granted, I was not permitted to believe anything else, having been raised in this religion. But the difference between pulling the trigger because you were ordered to do so and pulling the trigger because you wanted to, on your own, is irrelevant. We were still a party to it. The trigger was still pulled. We may have recruited others, or shunned people we once cared about, or watched as our children or the children of others died for one medical reason or another.

But the reason why our responsibility is far less is because we reached a point where conscience proved more important to us than following orders. We took a stand, and lived with the consequences. For that, we can at least find some solace for whatever part we may have had in it.

Also, the fact that we were not the ones GIVING the orders--unless you were an elder or maybe a parent or recruited someone--tends to help us gain a little solace. That may seem contradictory to what I just said earlier, but it's true. We didn't make the rules. We just lived by them or enforced them. That does make us partially responsible, but not entirely so.

--Christopher

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I made the choices I made with the information that was at hand. Unfortunately critical information wasn't readily available at the time. All "apostate" books were missing from the library. The few family and friends who tried to dissuade me resorted to ridicule rather than facts. It was obvious they had no clue about the JWs, and it would have been better for them to stay quiet. All they did was convince me that I was right and make me more determined to join the JWs.

W

• dandingus
    dandingus

I was a child. Why would we ever question that what our parents taught us was anything but the truth? They taught me the sky was blue, that the stove was hot, and so many other things that were right. Why doubt them about God? Weren't they the smartest people on the planet? Didn't they have all the answers? It takes time to grow up and make up your own mind to realize they don't have all the answers. But first you have to have a reason to question, and then the courage to question once you have a reason!

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

I second leavingwt... as well as Firebandits.... and WTWizard.

Thank god for the internet. ha ...and the time on my hands to do research. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit