Praying before meals

by teejay 28 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

It would be very interesting to know where this tradition (pagan?) ritual got started.

One more of those guilt inspiring 'to do's' that jw's and christianity have foisted on it's adherents.

If I know you tj, you will make the right choice.

Danny

• Scully
    Scully

More Archie Bunker mealtime 'prayers'

Thanks for the grub, Bub

Good food, good meat
    Good God, let's eat

Seriously though, I noticed a positive difference when we had prayer before meals. We were all settled at the table which had been properly set, prayer was said; we all said "Amen" together; and then the meal began. I used to enjoy the fact that we all ate together, and finished together.

Our life has become far more 'rushed' in recent years. We seldom dine together at the dining room table, unless it is a special occasion. Dinner time (because of my working 12 hour night shift) has become more like a cafeteria procession through the kitchen as everyone takes a plate and serves themselves before parking in front of the TV. More often than not, I prepare a container of whatever I've made and have it much later, re-warmed, at work. If I happen to be at home at dinner time, the plates are dispensed to the children, then my husband (if he isn't in line then he goes to the back of the bus ), then me. Sometimes, before I've even had time to have my own meal, one of the kids is back for seconds. There have been days when this habit has been very annoying for me, and I think back to our JW days when it was unthinkable to start eating before I was seated at the table and prayer was said. Then I start remembering all the other BS that went along with being a JW... so much for my moment of nostalgia

When I was growing up, we had a couple stay with us for a while who were special pioneers attending the French school for pioneers in Montreal. My dad often asked the brother to offer the mealtime prayer, and every single time he included thanks and blessing "for Your provision of food and the hands that have prepared it." When the brother and his wife had dinner with their classmates, my dad once commented that he thought it was ridiculous that Tom had requested a blessing on the hands that prepared the meal... my mother's... that it was giving 'undue attention to one person'. I was only a kid, but I happened to say something to the effect that I thought it was a nice and appreciative thing to do, and maybe Dad would feel differently if it had been HIM doing all the cooking. Next thing I knew, it was "spanking time". Figures. lol

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• Xena
    Xena

I think Billy made a really good point about it being a good training tool in teaching children to be grateful.

Even though I consider myself agnostic...I want my daughter to make her own decisions...if she feels the need to pray and it makes her happy..then more power to her. We have discussed God and the fact that he might or might not exist...and I have expressed to her that if it makes her feel good to believe in a God than that is fine. I don't believe in taking hope or belief away from anyone, especially if it hurts no one...

Xena who still believes in mermaids and unicorns....

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I am at a siilar situation. We have stopped praying during the last year with the except when there are JW visitors. So, now my kids watch me eating everyday without praying before and when there are JW present I lead the family in prayer. I'm afraid that I educate them to be hypocrites.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

GermanJW,

I am at a siilar situation. We have stopped praying during the last year with the except when there are JW visitors. So, now my kids watch me eating everyday without praying before and when there are JW present I lead the family in prayer. I'm afraid that I educate them to be hypocrites.

That is not necessarily hypocrisy, if you are consistent with your rbelief system. It is more like showing respect for other's beliefs.

I am an atheist but will say grace if asked. I do this out of respect for those who are dining with me.

Richard

• teejay
    teejay

Thanks for the replies, y'all... 'specially you, Andi. What you said made sense. But then, so did what GermanJW said. Next chance I get, I'll force myself to pray with/for her and see if I feel like a hypocrite.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Next chance I get, I'll force myself to pray with/for her and see if I feel like a hypocrite.

How could you not?

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

My personal favorite.....

Over the teeth, pass the tongue, look out tum here it comes.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • ashitaka
    ashitaka

I've had a problem praying since i left. Don't want to be praying to the 'hoover fellow, but really have no idea who to be thanking, and why. I worked for the food, dammit!

My wife and I just saying a few pleasant things B4 eating, now. It's not bad. In fact, prayers (like the ones my father still spills at family gatherings) make me a bit ill. So forced.

ashi

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I remember distinctly the family get-together where I looked around as the prayer was being given and thinking "how could God possibly want this??" I mean, If you provide something for others on a regular basis, do you want them fawning all over you constantly? Then take that and apply it to something that saves thier lives, that they cannot do without.... it just doesnt' add up to me.

If God exist, He/She/it knows I am grateful. It really is that simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit