Dave Thomas - Biggie Fries & Biggie Shake!

by Utopian Reformist 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Wendy's Founder Dave Thomas Dies
    By MARK WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Dave Thomas, the portly pitchman whose homespun ads built Wendy's Old-Fashioned Hamburgers into one of the world's most successful fast-food enterprises, has died. He was 69.

Thomas died around midnight at his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., the company said Tuesday.

The cause of death was not given. Thomas had been undergoing kidney dialysis since early 2001 and had quadruple heart bypass surgery in December 1996.

Company officials were meeting at Wendy's headquarters in the Columbus suburb of Dublin and planned an announcement later Tuesday.

The founder and senior chairman of Wendy's International became a household name when he began pitching his burgers and fries in television commercials in 1989. The smiling Thomas, always wearing a white short-sleeved shirt and red tie, touted the virtues of fast-food in humorous ads, sometimes featuring stars such as bluesman B.B. King and soap opera queen Susan Lucci.

``As long as it works, I'll continue to do the commercials,'' Thomas said in a 1991 interview. ``When it's not working any longer, then I'm history.''

But burgers weren't his first love. Thomas, who was adopted as an infant, became a national advocate for adoption.

He created the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, a not-for-profit organization focused on raising public awareness of adoption. The profits from his books, ``Dave's Way'' and ``Well Done!'' go to the foundation.

He once testified before a Congressional committee about the importance of creating incentives for adoption.

``I know firsthand how important it is for every child to have a home and loving family,'' he testified. ``Without a family, I would not be where I am today.''

Born July 2, 1932, Thomas was 12 when he got his first job - delivering groceries in Knoxville, Tenn. He joined the restaurant business in the 1950s.

While working at a barbecue restaurant in Fort Wayne, Ind., he met KFC founder Col. Harland Sanders, who became a major influence.

Thomas came to Columbus in 1962 to take over four failing KFC restaurants for his boss, who promised Thomas a 45 percent stake in them if he turned them around. Sanders sold the restaurants back to KFC for $1.5 million in 1968, making Thomas a millionaire at 35.

He opened his first Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers in Columbus a year later. He named the restaurant after his 8-year-old daughter Melinda Lou, nicknamed Wendy by her siblings.

The chain grew to 4,800 restaurants in the United States and 34 countries by 1996. That year, Wendy's acquired the 1,200-store, Canadian-based Tim Hortons chain of coffee and fresh-baked goods.

Thomas was a forgiving businessman.

The city of Philadelphia in 1994 wanted to fine Wendy's $98,400, claiming the restaurant was selling quarter-pounders that were up to a quarter of an ounce short. The city later announced it made an error and withdrew the fine.

``I understand what happened,'' said Thomas, who visited the city shortly after the controversy. ``Things happen. Mistakes happen. As far as we're concerned, we just want to go to the future. A bright future.''

He tried to retire in 1982, but came back in 1989.

``They took the focus off the consumer,'' he said of the executives who took over the company.

It was the TV commercials that made Thomas famous. Industry analysts and company officials said the ads helped the company rebound from a difficult period in the mid-1980s when earnings sank. In 1996, Thomas taped his 500th commercial. Rotund at first, he appeared slimmer in the ads in recent years.

``He's given Wendy's a corporate identity ... a down-homey type image. The lack of sophistication is a real benefit for the company,'' Diane Mustain, a financial analyst, said in 1991.

Despite his success, it wasn't until 1993 that he earned a high school equivalency certificate.

That year, he told 2,500 Columbus public school seniors his biggest mistake was not finishing high school.

``We have 4,000 restaurants today, but if I had gotten my high school diploma, we might have 8,000,'' he said.

-

Associated Press Writer Kate Roberts contributed to this story.

• LDH
    LDH

This makes me very sad! I have always respected Mr. Thomas, and appreciated the work he did on behalf of the volunteer community.

He believed in giving something back to the community, that's for sure.

Lisa

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

all you fat Mcdonald eatin slobs
    listen up

this is your future

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

While at first, this story is in fact sad and reports a tragic loss to "popular american gastronomy" and his personal family and friends, there is also a slight humorous aspect, give the fast-food industry.

Now, to NY Tele Dumb:

As usual, you harness the essence of your name at every occasion. First of all, when I pioneered, I remember a family who stopped every day at Burger King at precisely 11:30 AM for a huge combo meal.

They were already overweight, and the milk-like appearance in their overly fat limbs wreaked of a diet high in dairy fats. They used only the heaviest of creams in all of their warm beverages and recipes and were desert mongers as well.

True enough, as someone once said in this forum along time ago, most full-time service people are addicted to some sort of food, and without breaks and food, many would just stop pioneering altogether.

But let me guess, NY Tele Dumb is in perfect physical condition, right?

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

So sad.

closer

• LDH
    LDH

Ur,

Didn't you know? NYT is a GYM RAT, or at least he says he is, LOL.

Yes, he's always pontificating about his exercise habits,and calling others fat slobs.

Whatever.

Lisa

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    But let me guess, NY Tele Dumb is in perfect physical condition, right?

although I do have a body that many others envy, I would never
    call myself perfect(did I mention my 9.5 rating on Hotornot.com) The bible tells us only 2 men who ever
    walked the earth are perfect. I truly feel sorry for that pioneer
    family you mentioned. This only goes to show that our organization
    is made up of imperfect people. Those that continue to worship
    at the altar of the Golden Arches will not make it through Armageddon.
    Simply claiming to be a servant of Jehovah is not enough.

• shecky2
    shecky2

you know what words are right ny? a bunch of bullshit. you can say whatever you want about you, without proof it's all bullshit. you're probably some overweight, pimply faced virgin who jacks off to picture of peewee herman. :O! oh! oh! OH! oh that's the stuff....

have a nice day:)

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    you know what words are right ny? a bunch of bullshit.

actually words can be a source of great comfort to many.
    for example the truth we bring concerning the resurrection
    hope. you may consider such truths as bullshit, but millions
    of people wouldnt. but one mans truth is another mans shit.

for example i know Wendy's, Mickey Dees, and Burger king all
    serve shit...and from you response..i can conclude.. you dont consider the food at these places shit....

• shecky2
    shecky2

words provide a false sense of comfort. being a witness you should know that. you know what provides real comfort? deeds.

1 samuel 2 3
    "do not keep talking so proudly or let your mouth speak such arrogance, for the lord is a god who knows, and by him deeds are weighed."

read your bible some time. it might help you.

and how can you conclude that i don't consider these places shit?
    you sir are an idiot. have a nice day! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit