Forget 2012... The world will end May 21, 2011

by Elsewhere 33 Replies latest jw friends

• lrkr
    lrkr

You guys are all false prophets. All of us True Christians know that the world will end on April 23.

• zagor
    zagor

he has developed a mathematical system to interpret prophecies hidden within the Good Book.

Yep, for sure, ditto. why is it that we always have to "interpret" something as "something"? and how come it all escaped top mathematicians of the world but took an upstart who can't even calculate his own taxes. Not to mention that Bible has been written (at least that is what all religious 'scholars' claim) so as to be easily read by even the simplest of people, how come now we have to actually use mathematics to understand it? What I find fascinating though is that many of those cults, including Watchtower love to use calculations. I guess reason for using obscure and dubious figures is to make people dazzled, considering that most people when they see numbers their minds go blank at best of times, when these are combined with "mysterious message encoded in bible" they are completely confused, their minds simply give up and to go any further they simply have to start trusting in the "authority" of one making the claim. Which is exactly what cult leaders wanted in the first place.

If you are using mathematics claims of any sort they need to be based on solid evidence, facts and figure and not used as hypnotizing agent on unsuspecting who can hardly even get their bank account cash flow right, then again maybe that is exactly what cult leaders want.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Apocalypse Later: Harold Camping vs the End of the World (2013) - Plot - IMDb

To anyone who followed this story, this will not be news. Harold altered his message after his May 21, 2021, date failed by insisting that the return of Christ was "spiritual/ invisible". He then predicted the literal return would be a few months later. When he was interviewed a year later, he had changed his tune. He then claimed to have been convinced of his dates but was wrong. He now longer made date predictions even going so far as to say it could be 100 years away. I reserve judgement regarding his sincerity. The documentary is well done and educational.

The documentary is presently free to view on Roku channel.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Perhaps the most depressing thing about Camping's misadventures is to realize just how easy it was for him to recover from a false prediction that was easily demonstrated.

He predicted the end in 1994. When it didn't happen, he simply shrugged his shoulders and said 'I got it wrong, but I'll get it right next time.' And people believed him!! In the interview from the first post in this topic, he is smugly mocking the prediction of 2012! As if he had not already gotten one prediction utterly wrong!

Here is how he came up with the 2011 date (from Scientific American):

The date of the crucifixion is itself somewhat uncertain, but Camping takes it to be April 1 in 33 AD. Come May 21, 2011, Camping says, 722,500 days will have elapsed since that occurrence. And 722,500 is (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17). Those numbers are important, according to Camping, because 5 symbolizes atonement, 10 represents completeness, and 17 is for heaven.

This is the guy who was mocking everyone else for getting end-of-world dates wrong!!

(Edit to add a link to the above quote: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/judgment-day-math-the-numbers-behind-harold-campings-may-21-claim/)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit