It looks like the new song book is bombing!

by Mickey mouse 29 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are 135 songs total. They added 42 completely new songs, and kept (albeit altered significantly) 93 of the old songs.

It seems that many of the songs are now shorter. Old song 114 was the longest at 4:15. The only other song that was more than 4 minutes long was song old 102 at 4:14. Song old 114 is now shorter, and old 102 is gone. The average song length used to be 2:38--with the shortenings, I wonder if the songs are averaging 2 minutes.

Which means they will all fit onto one mini disc. If you use the 4X play mode, you can fit 320 minutes (a bit more than 5 hours) of program (I will not call this sxxx "music") onto a single disc. Which means, put a mini disc with this sxxx on it in shuffle mode, and that's your whole library of "music(??)".

Not that any of it is enjoyable. I have barely heard a note of it, and did not like what I did hear. And, from what I have heard from people that have heard it, it is no good. Including one poster that felt like they did something wrong when singing it the first time, even before seeing that thread. I have heard that it is idolatrous, worshiping the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. And not one song venerating Jesus--bearing in mind that this is supposed to be a Christian religion!

• Gayle
    Gayle

There is no heart and soul in those KM songs. I (I'm Norwegian-American) worked with a black girl who invited me to her church choir programs a couple times. There is so much life, heart, soul and spirit and clapping in those songs. I told her I wish I had been raised in a "black" folks church (a non-JW, of course) at least something 'alive.'

• snowbird
    snowbird
    There is so much life, heart, soul and spirit and clapping in those songs.

I love the Negro Spirituals; I grew up hearing them sung.

The WT wasn't able to take that away!

Sylvia

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

A few observements on the new song book...

The opening song for the Service meeting last week, was about a minute long. I was out in the lobby doing the attendant thing, and I went to grab my coat to take a breeze through the parking lot to check on the cars and the lot, and as I went to open the door, the brother started with the announcements. Its literally a minute long give or take a few seconds. I don't know whether you can consider it a song, or a verse.

Yesterday the brother delivering the talk, selected for the opening song, what possibly may have been the most depressing thing I've ever heard. It would make The Cure(old school goth band for those not familiar) sound like Mary Poppins. I was standing next to the brother handling the sound, and I said to him, "what is this mess? We at a funeral? This is depressing. I should have worn all black with black eye liner" He started laughing, and people in the rows closest to us looked back to see what the commotion was. So we promptly started singing along. Its one of the newer songs.

Later on I went over to my Folks for dinner. Mom did a pork roast, which I have a hard time resisting. Afterwards, had a couple Heinekin Lights, and I asked my dad what he thought of the new song book. He gave me a look as if he was constipated. He's a hardcore dub too. My mother chimed in, "he was listening to gospel music before you came!!" Really it was just a commercial for a gospel compilation CD. After she said that, he looked at me and said, "some of that gospel music sounds good I have to admit."

A couple weeks ago, the brother doing the sound had trouble getting it to work. The chairman said, "it doesnt matter, nobody knows how to sing it anyway, lets just open with prayer."

I don't know what to think about the new song book. I guess as Blondie mentioned, this will happen with something new in this organization. The thing thats killed me the most with the new song book is, we had an Assembly Hall dedication several months ago, and after it ended, while i was cleaning, they were playing a Choir version of it. While running a vacuum cleaner, I heard the choir singing, and I thought to myself, "maybe they're finally getting in tune with people." Granted the choir was considerably mediocre compared to what I've heard from other Christian faiths, but at least its a "possible" start in the right direction with this organization.

• agonus
    agonus

The WT loved to brag about how, over the years, the number of songs mentioning Jehovah increased while the number of songs mentioning Jesus diminished.

Now, of course, Jesus is completely out of the picture.

If, God forbid, the WT is around 100 years from now, they'll be bragging about how the songs mentioning The Faithful and Discreet Slave increased while the number of songs mentioning Jehovah slowly disappeared.

Then, when Jehovah is completely out of the picture, they'll have invented a new category of religion: Faithfulanddiscreetslavian. They will long since have gotten the stigma of "Christian" out of the way, and will officially call themselves the Faithfulanddiscreetslavian Congregation of Faithfulanddiscreetslave's Witnesses. They will probably have dumped the Bible altogether or produced a new "translation" called The Faithfulanddiscreetslavian Translation of the Holy Faithfulanddiscreetslavians Operator's Manual.

• agonus
    agonus

Assemblies and meetings will be nothing but recitations of the Operator's Manual with occasional demonstrations of how to apply the instructions in the Operator's Manual in real-world settings, punctuated by the occasional, "Brothers? Do we not appreciate this TIMELY INSTRUCTION from THE FAAAAAAITHFUUUUUL AAAAAAND DIIIIISCREEEEEET SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE?", followed by thundrous applause...

• JeffT
    JeffT

After I left we began attending an independent evangelical church. A typical Sunday service had 2500 people, a 150 voice choir and an orchestra. Didn't matter if you couldn't sing, everybody else could carry the tune. We'd start the service with 20 minutes of singing, it really was wonderful. I went to a DC to protest and at one point went into the Tacoma Dome to see what was happening. 9000 people supposedly singing and all you could hear was taped music. Really sad.

• undercover
    undercover

If I was still in, I'd be glad that they shortened the songs. I mentally groaned when we opened up the book to the song number called out and it was a four stanza/verse/whatever song, two pages. I liked the 3 verse, less than a page songs just for how short they were.

The songs were so bad that I was mentally counting off how much time was left in them. "1/4 done, 1/3 done, 1/2 done...yaaaahhh...2/3 done, 3/4, 7/8 done, 15/16 done...almost there...almost...there...

• villabolo
    villabolo

Sacolton:

NOT ONE SONG WITH JESUS IN THE TITLE?!!!

so that all will honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

Is there any mention of Jesus at all in the main text of the songs? If so, how many times and how does that compare to the number of the times the organization is mentioned?

villabolo

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

There has been a tendency to go to the toilet during the mid meeting song.

We were couselled for this in a Kingdumb Misery some time ago.

Shortening the song barely gives you time to open your flies and pull down your knickers before you have to get back. Inly a little kid can pee in a minute.

(Of course there is not much a pedo can get up to in just over a minute either.)

I guarantee they will crack down on peepee breaks during the indoctrination sessions.

HB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit