Understanding JW Recruiting Concepts Can Help Others To Leave

by AllTimeJeff 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Paradise earth is promoted. Living forever is promoted. A loving brotherhood is promoted. The rest of the JW dogma, other then the basics, aren't consequential.

How true, Jeff! I encountered that when the Ex was trying to enlist me. She saw the brotherhood, the picnics, the assemblies, and the New System (tm) . She didn't worry about dying because of the blood policy or the hypocrisy of damning every religious organization (while being one themselves). She saw only a path to paradise, not the darkness I saw in the Watchtower theology and the organization's leadership.

So arguing about dogmas they don't really think about or attacking the teaching of an organization that constantly warns them to expect persecution is a dead end at best, and often downright counter-productive. It's better to be as good a living, non-threatening counter-example as you can be. Then when the time comes that they have questions and wonder "where else can we go?", they will know they can count on you.

GLT

• hatchetmom
    hatchetmom

I have never posted on this site before but this topic just crys out to me. I started studying off and on many years ago when my husband had just died. I was taking care of a quad brother who introduced me. Needless to say at the time "live forever in a paradise earth" was very appealing. As time went on I accepted what I learned. Last year I started studying with a sister after a long break. We went over the same publications, all very basic and comforting. One day I asked her "who makes the rules?" She said no one, the rules come from the bible. Then I asked her "Who invented JWs?" She said they always existed, let's read this little book, quit asking questions. Well I went on line and learned about Russell, Rutherford, and tons of other stff I was NEVER told. I feel very decieved and kinda stupid. I'm glad I got internet when I did. Anyway, that's the basic story.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

So true, Jeff, and well said!

It amazes me that some here left when they researched 607. Personally, my eyes always glazed over when the publications started rattling out dates and "fulfilled prophesies".

I didn't leave because of a falsehood or something that cannot be supported in scripture (good grief, birthday parties being verbotten aren't supported in scripture, yet I upheld that "defense" for years!) I left because I knew disfellowshipping and shunning was wrong... and it could never make a loving god happy. As you say... I left because of mistreatment... not of myself, but of the ones I love.

Nice thread.

edited to say:

Hello and welcome HatchetMom! We're glad you're here.

• shamus100
    shamus100
    That is the only way you can help a JW to leave. Bring them the water, leave them the water, wait for them to get it.

I have to completely disagree with you, Jeff.

Witnesses are used to leaving their brains turned completely off. They never question anything, because it's easier not to. By the time they want to question something they are on the way out already. There is little you can offer a typical dub without them being on the way out already.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi hatchetmom! Welcome. Glad you avoided the sickness!

Shamus, anytime I use absolutes thoughtlessly, well, I get ashamed.... :) Good call. You are right of course, it isn't the only way. My point though is simply that for most JW's, the water is there. They know that "information" exists about their religion and that they are forbidden to look at it. They are curious. But they snuff out the curiosity.

So most who leave (as opposed to being kicked out) go to a place called factual information. That place has never changed, and never will. It's all history, and the only thing one has to do is read it with an open mind.

• shamus100
    shamus100

It's nice to think that there's a way to reach people. Sad but true, the amount of bullshit the cult followers can take is astounding to say the least. There's much more to it, namely, they want to believe it. They have nothing else, and even looking at info or feeling like you want to means you're done.

If there's some majic way of getting to them, I'm all ears. But I don't believe in picketing, screaming, hollering, whining, weeping, or gnashing my teeth over their beliefs. Let them eat bullshit each and every day until they realize it tastes like shit.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Hysterics don't work. Reasoned facts do.

Bollacks and piffle.

'Reasoned facts' might work on 'low hanging' fruit, but they don't impress my family, and they are the dangerous ones who are actively recruiting and beating the slaves.

They have a built in shredder to deal with 'reasoned facts', that runs automatically as soon as you walk out the door.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

ATJ - you have a PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit