Understanding JW Recruiting Concepts Can Help Others To Leave

by AllTimeJeff 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Understanding JW Recruiting Concepts Can Help Others To Leave

When I first left Jehovah's Witnesses (JW's), I was somewhat amused at the sheer amount of anti JW websites out there. While websites like freeminds.org and jwfacts.com are great, (non hysterical sites that stress fact and presentation over emotional responses), there are at least 5 times as many other sites that act as if you should treat a JW at your door like you would a spreader of the Ebola virus.

I don't disagree with the fact that JW's are somewhat dangerous and usually go for the low hanging fruit. Anyone with a curious, questioning mind who doesn't immediately accept the dogma is usually given the lowest priority from an individual JW or a congregation. Which brings us to a very important key to helping JW's leave if they feel trapped.

Most JW's today are low hanging fruit as far as the Governing Body (GB) is concerned. These are ones who bought in quick, questioned little, made the commitment, and are now, for lack of a better word, stuck.

So when I see some hysterical, nearly theatrical attempts at discrediting JW's on the internet (subliminal pics in Watchtowers? Satan worship at Bethel? Get real....) in an effort to get current members to quit, it makes me laugh. It sure wouldn't have worked on me while I was an active JW. Why try concepts that ultimately, don't work and aren't the real reason why JW's leave anyway?

Since the information age began in earnest in the late 90's, information via the internet on any subject, including JW's, is readily available. Personal real life stories are usually enough to inform a somewhat reasonable JW of the consequences and dangers of living the JW life.

So if you really want to help JW's leave, then you have to understand something; most are JW's because they didn't question a whole lot. Or, to put it another way, they were persuaded to accept an overly simplistic answer to those questions they had so they wouldn't question anymore. That is the JW way, surface answers only.

They didn't become JW's because the Governing Body claimed to be representing the faithful and discreet slave of Mt 24. No one new understands that, they trust one day they will. Most don't become JW's because JW's claim they got 1914 right. New ones generally don't understand the 1914 teaching anyway and trust one day they will.

Like any new recruit to a religion or cult, they simply grow to feel comfortable with the little group/congregation they get associated with. In the case of JW's, it isn't the convoluted prophecies and dogma that are unique to JW's that are promoted.

Paradise earth is promoted. Living forever is promoted. A loving brotherhood is promoted. The rest of the JW dogma, other then the basics, aren't consequential.

The rest of the dogma is mentioned in passing, then filed away.

So if someone didn't become a JW because of 1914, or the weird hierarchy of the GB, is it reasonable to think that screaming about these lies (they are lies, no doubt) will affect great change?

So how does one loosen up JW's? Just like the GB likes to get the low hanging fruit for their purposes, there is low hanging fruit within the JW organization, although their dynamics are actually polar opposite from the typical JW profile.

The first question is, why do JW's leave anyway? Some learn about the lies, but most have been mistreated by an organization that claims to be loving, and even has their own unique definitions of what love is.

Like any sane human, once mistreated sufficiently, prepare for them to take off and spread the word. Dogma isn't the point. No one in my opinion joins or leaves JW's because of the dogma alone. In fact, most leave because being mistreated makes them take a fresh look at the dogma they really never took the time to study and understand in the first place.

JW's have very weird beliefs. In an initial recruiting study using one of the publications they use, JW's will mention them briefly in the hopes that they are accepted. They want the study to think in these basic terms "Before studying with JW's, I didn't know that Jehovah was the true god, Jesus was gods son, not part of the trinity, and that paradise earth is waiting the faithful after the destruction of the wicked. I don't understand 1914 or what the faithful and discreet slave means, but I trust I will. And they say that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BCE? Sure, I never paid attention to that in school anyway."

Remember, if you really want to affect a JW, or expose JW's, then you can do that, but ultimately, this is a "bring a horse to water, but you can't make them drink scenario."

Hysterics don't work. Reasoned facts do. Innuendo's and sensationalism doesn't work. Real life stories chronicling the mistreatment, neglect, incompetence, and sometimes criminal neglect (where pedophiles are concerned) are enough to loosen the mind, so that honest hearted JW's will feel they have permission to defy the GB, and research JW's on their own.

That is the only way you can help a JW to leave. Bring them the water, leave them the water, wait for them to get it.

• dissed
    dissed

So I shouldn't relate my story on I how heard the Elders secretly boil babies or that the GB has inserted magnets in the publication to give a sense of euphoria when reading them?

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks ATJeff,

I am sure you are right,the majority of Dubs do not know what they are supposed to believe in, and have never thought about the weird teachings in any depth, I remember a number who would say after studying something quite looney, but not a difficult concept to grasp,

"Oh that is all too deep for me"

What they really meant was they couldn't swallow it at face value, but were too lazy to look in to it further, or too afraid.

You say "Bring them the water", do you mean give them some true life stories to read ? I can just hear the excuses,

"Oh yes Jehovah's Org. is made up of imperfect people, so you would expect paedophilia, violent abuse, Elders who treat you like s**t to be present within it"

I think it will still be hard to get them to THINK, they are taught to suppress any logical or critical thought as soon as it occurs in their brain.

We can but try though.

Love

Wobble

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Dissed, I didn't mean the thing about the magnets...

Wobble, share what you can. Even if you feel like a "hysterical" (my word) approach is what is needed, at least you are dong what you think you can. One point though is this, you can't get these guys to accept anything if it isn't their idea to go and get it in the first place.

That is why the internet age we live in has been so harmful to the GB. No, they haven't imploded, but their rate of growth, donations, and overall zeal has dropped off dramatically. I think this is directly attributable to the fact that via the internet, water exposing JW's is available. There is some place to go, and you don't have expose yourself to do it. You can seek out information from the privacy of you own home.

It only requires a JW to be honest with themself. That is really the greatest challenge, and it is the one that any former JW wishing to expose the GB has the least control over.

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

A very interesting and well thought out post ATjeff. Thanks.

Paul Uk

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

One comical thing I have noticed is the themes of the picketing at a$$emblies, especially the Grand Boasting Session. I have seen picketers out there urging the witlesses to get saved. Trouble is, most witlesses think they are already saved and will continue being saved only if they continue going to those a$$emblies and other sessions. I thought they were from another evangelist Christian church group--other witlesses thought they were apostates. That absolutely will not work, since most witlesses already believe they are saved.

Another thing I have seen that does not work is picking a doctrine that does not affect people personally. One I remember is the cross. Picketing outside the Grand Boasting Session ranting that Jesus died on a cross is not going to get people's attention. About all that did was get people even more entrenched in avoiding Babylon the Great. The same can be said if they dress in Devil costumes inviting witlesses to talk to Russell in the "Hell Phone".

Much more effective in this setting is simply referring people to web sites documenting the pedophile issues. That is going to affect a lot more people personally, and they are more likely to get pxxxed at the Washtowel Slaveholdery if they see that than about the cross. The pedophile issue even makes more sense than the blood issue: The witlesses already know about the blood. When they find out that the pedophile issue is widespread and not being honestly handled, they are more likely to decide that they have had enough. When they check out the web sites, they will find out that it is in fact the truth at their leisure. Online, there will be plenty of time for those life stories and things that betray the bitter fruitage of the religion.

Rants, personal stories, and the like do deter people from joining the religion in the first place. But, in order to get people's attention at the a$$emblies, you need to be very brief and refer them to an appropriate subject web site that they don't already know about. They have at most a few seconds before peer pressure is going to make them keep moving. Let them find out the whole story once they are in the privacy of their own home, on their computer, where they can bookmark a site and keep returning to it.

• cofty
    cofty

Very good points Jeff, I agree it is frequently mistreatment that causes somebody to give them self permission to investigate the doubts they have been carrying around for years.

• TD
    TD

Interesting post, Jeff

I have absolutely no data to make this up, but my gut feeling is that those who have coverted as adults are unlikely to leave at all. --Certainly far less likely to leave than born-ins.

Born-ins were never unhappy adults looking for a quick fix to all of life's problems. They grew up taking the fantastic claims for granted. Many went through the normal adolescent rebellion against the choices and values of their parents and still have issues somewhere in the back of their minds that were never satisfactorily answered.

• tmj4477
    tmj4477

Well I know that two of my sisters stay for the hopes of living to see my other 2 deceased sisters resurrected. Unitl that belief is demolished I do not believe they will ever leave the "truth".

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Jeff, I want to thank you for encapsulating my feelings towards all the people who rant and rave about Freemasons, Illuminati, subliminal messages, Russell's grave, and all the other irrelevant B.S. that ex-JWs use against the org. It's a waste of time.

Do you mind if I screenshot your topic post and use it in a YouTube video? I figure it shouldn't be a problem, but I figure I might as well let you know that I'd like to showcase your work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit