Who created time?

by acolytes 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Time is another dimension in addition to the three we see visually, time is felt as opposed to seen. Like the three dimensions (width, depth and height or x,y,z) we can "measure" time. There is strong theories that other dimensions exist - even space-time is technically a diminsion we cannot properly measure but we can percieve it at work at a quantum level. Do any of you remeber the Simpson episode where Homer found himself in 3D world? That shows how our perceptions are framed by the dminesions we are in. Time is not a constant - Einstein's General Theory of Relativity was proven with synched atomic clocks that were split up - some on earth some orbiting - they were efound to be out of synch. in fact, communications sattleites have to "phase" their internal clocks in order to compensate for the spped of thri orbits.

Time was never created, it is a construct of our own conciousness and it is as fluid as a river, some fast spots, some slow and the occasional point where an eddy reverses the flow. As a believer in God, I see how multiple dimensions can exist and if you are no bound by 3D and 4D (time) then time is irrelevant and both the past, present and future merge. Interestingly, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that you cannot measure the position and momentum (velocity - a function of time) of a particle at the same "time". If you could you would be able to predict the future with stunning accuracy. The laws of big things simnply break down and are no longer applicable at the level of particles. Therefor it is plausible that the laws that seemingly bind time at the level of big things will breakdown at the level of small things. Timis is, pardon the plagarism - relative.

• Snotrag
    Snotrag

Another point of revelation is that the universe appears to be a hologram. The paticles of existence can be seen as a projection of a two dimensional field. Since time has to be relative to the speed of the particle this makes the possibility of time to be gaseous in nature (term used to make it relatable to human sense) which allows for time to be part of a two dimensional projection. The coexistance of the various fields of conductivity interrelates the particles to exist in different space time so that the same particle can exist and not exist in two places at one time. The more important question is not of time but how the conductance force is generated. The force is the question because no conceivable method can be postulated.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There was no Time before Television..

When television came along everyone needed to know..

What time thier favorite program was on..

Thats whenTimex invented Time..By creating the Ironman Watch..

http://www.fitness4sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/timex-ironman-triathlon-watch.jpg

Soon everyone knew what time it was..Except Women..

In ancient times,women were`nt allowed to vote..

Or..

Know what time it was..

It`s in the Bible!..

................................. ...OUTLAW

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Snotrag: "Both/And" (Quantum) versus "Either/Or" (Newtonian)?

• Snotrag
    Snotrag

Simon - Uncertaincy is the rule, I do think it possible that waves are segmenteted, but I only dabble.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I am interested in the narrative from a literary point of view, and yes it does address the beginning of time. But the Hebrews did not think of time in the abstract but in how it is realized in everyday life; time in the OT is defined by rhythms and cycles and repeating movements of the heavenly luminaries. There are two creative acts that set these patterns in motion. One is the temporal separation of light and darkness which resulted in the first day; this represented the beginning of the weekly cycle (as indicated by God resting on the seventh day). Interestingly, the repeating cycles of light and darkness constituting day and night precede the creation of the luminaries themselves, which occurred on the fourth day. This narrative event starts the year, whether reckoned by lunar phases or through the solar cycle of equinoxes and solstices. And indeed, the Essene calendar reckoned every year as beginning on a Wednesday (likely influenced by the Priestly creation narrative in Genesis), with the start of the week preceding by a few days the start of the year.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hence the term "hump-day"

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Snotrag: Me too (dabbler) - I enjoy many books (even through my JW years) on the subject - "Dancing Wu Li Masters" was my all time favourite. I would encourage all to read this great book. As Arthur C. Clark stated: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." It would seem that the eastern mystics along with the Egyptians grasped Quantum Mechanics long before the modern era. How I despised the WTBS discounting of such writings as "spiritism" when they are clearly in harmony with quite a bit of the bible.

• dandingus
    dandingus

This is a topic that I was musing on heavily of late. Both Snotrag and Simon have valid points from Quantum and Newtonian physics. An interesting corollary emerges when considering the question of God and time.

Is God (if it exists, but that’s another discussion) bound by time? I think this is another way of putting your question “who created time?”. If God created it then he/she/it is beyond the boundary of that dimension and one would assume able to traverse it at will, having mastery over it as with any other created thing. In this scenario the past, present, and future are all accessible to God anytime he/she/it chooses.

But in this, the Biblical import of almost all “Christian” teaching breaks down at least from a causal perspective. Everything in the universe is a study in cause and effect. And so it is with Biblical teachings. Adam and Eve sinned thus plunging man into an imperfect state, thereby necessitating a ransom by a savior being sent to atone for our sins. If God is not bound by time, could he see the choice Adam and Eve were going to make before it happened? If so, why not simply prevent the “tragedy” from ever unfolding? Why make the choice to send his most beloved son to die a horrible, senseless death that could have been averted in the first place with a little physics magic on his part?

The logical conclusion to the Biblical narrative is that God, while mighty, is as enslaved within the confines of time as we are. Only then do his “decisions” and “actions” as related in the bible truly make any sense. And if we accept this to be true, what does that speak to the nature of time and the nature of God?

I invite your thoughtful discussion…

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

To the writers of genesis time was not like you and I see time after Albert Einstein came on the seen with four dimensions making up space time.

Time to those writers was just always there with no courses in astrophysics to guide their thoughts about God creating time, they didn't have a clue of what the stars planets or the Universe was, and neither did they have time as a seperate dimension, needing to be created so God could get the whole ball rolling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit