The dirty little secret of Watchtower PREACHING WORK you may not know

by Terry 47 Replies latest jw friends

• dgp
    dgp

LD, that makes sense to me. I believe that there is an honest way to try to get a convert: tell him all you think up front, put all the information behind him, let him ask any questions, let him check any sources, and let him go away if he should want to. That is not exactly how they want to get you.

I had read something like these ideas Terry brought. I think it was in The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses. In any case, someone noticed that the preaching work is what separates those who are not really convinced from those who are really in. Now we see it was also mere office politics... How sad.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Thanks Terry, a very interesting overview. It would be useful to have some citations to back up some the statements made.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

LD, Actually, the end of subscriptions coincided with the change to "voluntary donations". The increasing expense of mail delivery would hurt their bottom line at the same time that they needed to raise prices. Consequently, they ended subs to reduce expenses and dubs could now spend extra time, count more RVs, and place more individual copies of ragazines. It was a win/win for them. Their expenses down, individual placement counts up.

It was the change to separate Public and Kool-Aid editions of Botchtower that was designed to get the increasing cult control away from the eyes of unbelievers. Increasingly, there are different messages in those different issues.

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Thats what I was wondering...Why the separate editions of the WT and Awake? Is there a big difference in the two editions?

Grewup

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

GrewUp,

The public editions aren't that much different from the old Awake! ragazines. More "Bible based" type crap with a hefty dose of favorable JW public relations. Armageddon is about the destruction of "wicked people". People should carefully examine what their religions are teaching.

The "study" editions have gone into "follow the GB" and "preach, preach, preach" overdrive. They are soaked with propaganda techniques. Armageddon is about the destruction of "non-JWs". JWs should never question the "spiritual food" coming from the FDS.

stuff like that

• Heaven
    Heaven

Here are some of my thoughts about the 'preaching' work that never sat well with me:

1) If everyone in the world went preaching like the WTS wants people to do, who would be feeding us, educating us, maintaining the infrastructure, building our homes, making our clothes, doctoring and healing us, etc., etc., etc? It never made any sense to me that we ALL should be doing this as our primary activity.

2) Preaching activity is for the relatively healthy and young. Going door-to-door requires a physical and mental capacity that many aging as well as some special needs people just don't have. Therefore, the JWs are really only a religion for those with these abilities. This doesn't sound very Christian to me.

3) If you don't 'preach' you won't gain everlasting life, you won't survive Armageddon, and if you die before Armageddon, you risk not being resurrected. I was specifically told this as a child. Never found any of that in the Bible.

4) Rounding off the numbers for ease of illustration, if there are 7 million JWs vs 7 billion people in the world, that says each and every JW MUST speak to at least 1,000 people. I know my Dad hasn't spoken to this many people. How about the JWs you know?

5) In over 24 years, my Dad has never brought one person into the cult. (Yay!) I haven't asked him how many hours he has actually spent in 24 years, but man, those stats are bad. If you were a sales person with that kind of track record you'd have been fired long ago for being so unproductive.

6) When I was young, I was told that JWs are preaching to all the inhabited Earth. Oh Really?! How about some of those remote tribes in the Amazon? Who is preaching to those people? And what about Muslims in Morocco whom JWs have specifically been told NOT to witness to? I think I was flat out lied to.

edited to add: 7) If the 'preaching' work is all about getting people to study the Bible, then why don't JWs hand out Bibles when going door-to-door?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, goody! LOTS of reading - marking so I can read this later; am watching TV programs about Chile' earthquake and tsunamis... Don't think there will be much of a tsunami, I think the epicenter was inland and therefore there wasn't much of an effect on the ocean floor - not nearly as much as - say - the 2004 quake that directly changed the profile of the ocean floor... No major landslide occured; that would have also intensified the effect of a tsunami...

Off-topic - marking for later reading... Zid

• lancelink
    lancelink

I have several friends who are mormons, and they baptize 2-3 people every other week around here.

They use pretty much the same method of two people dorr to door, but they are supported by a vast

pool of media information which no doubt helps them.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Good point. If Armageddon was so urgent and the message so important, why waste untold millions of $ on special pioneers, CO's and missionaries but not bother to have a single television or radio programme. Why do JW's pound the streets wasting their time and money. So much for warning the world of impending calamity and destruction. It's obviously more about keeping JW's loyal to their religious Club and keeping them too busy to think for themselves and have a real life.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Minimus said......"You gotta be kidding me. Terry, are you on drugs or something? Do you have ADD/ADHD?".....

NO!!!!!..HE'S NOT KIDDING.

I ASSERT SIR YOU ARE TROLLING AND ATTEMPTING TO START A FLAME WAR!!!!DRUGS INDEED, (SNORT,SNORT)...LETS TAKE DRUGS AND HAVE A GOOD OLD FASHINED ROUND OF ADD/ADHD TO BOOT SO THE wt CAN BE EXPOSED FOR WHAT IT IS. DRUGS INDEED, (SNORT, SNORT)....MIGHT AS WELL THROUGH IN SOME BI-POLAR SCHIDZOID SYNDROM WHILE YOUR AT IT, HMMMMM, HMMMMM....BE GOOD WOULDN'T IT? FEEL WARM ALL OVER TO I BETTCHA (SNORT, SNIFF) GOT MY EYE ON YOU, YOU LITTLE DOT WITH LEGS....(SNORTTTT, HACK, ACK, COUGH)....NOW, WHERE'S MY PYRO SUITE?...

(Hey Min, how are ya good budddy. That a new haircut? Lost some weight too I see. Love ya bro. Keep up the good work, wink,wink, nudge, nudge)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit