Turkey: Archeological Dig Reshaping Human History

by purplesofa 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

Thanks Outlaw...me grammer and spelling suck.......

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

nice work purps - I love archaelogical stuff.

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

Awesome! Thanks for sharing :D

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Purps, Thanks for sharing.

Villa, "One of these days, perhaps sooner than we expect, the same thing may happen to our skyscrapers."

Not the skyscrapers... I was hoping the same thing would happen to Watchtower Corp. Let's get a bunch of garbage trucks and turn all the WT buildings to landfills then cover it with dirt. 75,000 years from now, humans can unearth it.

• Terry
    Terry

The following are posted comments on the SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE site in reference to Gobekli Tepe.

Each paragraph gap yields a separate comment by a different poster:

Seems to me like the Bible is correct after all. If Noah's ark landed in the Mountains of Turkey and Russia, then Noah would have built a temple for him and his family to offer sacrifices to God.

I am surprised that nobody has thought that this might be where Eden, the birthplace of humanity, was. It certainly sounds similar. It WAS considered a paradise and near the Tigris and Eurphrates. Also, the age is not far off. Just interesting. These stone circles, as the ones at Stonehinge, bear an eriee resemblence to the stucture built in Germany during WWII for the anti-gravity experiments. This is very far fetched, but food for thought when a society goes from hunter-gather to agragian in only 500 years. Question: Why are the Persian Rugs a 1000 miles so to speak from the great Pyramid of Egypt and the Navajo Rugs a 1000 miles from the great Pyramid of Mexico when both Rugs depict high tech math when only a few could read the math in function of numbers and SqRt. by the way the Navajo Sine wave points to the second Eye in mathematics and is noticed on the back of a Dollar Bill. It is the garden of eden, even the writer said it without realizing what he said. It is in the right place and it is something of huge religious importance, therefore, the reason for what it is and where. The Bible says Eden was destroyed in the great flood, the same flood of Gilgamesh and the location is perfect. This could be the greatest religous discovery since ever! These sorts of artifacts are of course not nearly as old as claimed. The bible clearly refutes these wild and illogical claims. It is a manifestation of the greatness of God's wisdom that so many 'scientists' in the employ of the enemy should believe such silliness.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

BTTT.

Gobekli Tepe. 11,500 Years old.

Lurkers enjoy.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

An incredible find!

Every year man gets older and older in archeology. I love visiting excavations - been to Corinth, Egypt and many of the temples and tombs including Abu-simbel, and several places in Israel, my favorite being old Jerusalem, which was rebuilt like 36 times or something. I had a subscription to Biblical Archeological Review for years in the 80s, and that is where I found many things that inspired the writings of articles like the one on the cross:

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/jesus/did-jesus-die-on-a-cross-or-a-stake.html

which is amazingly #4 in Google search under "the cross"

Got to get my old slides out and convert them to digital!

Here's a good one I took at Abu-Simbel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

Göbekli Tepe is the oldest human-made place of worship yet discovered. [ 2 ] Until excavations began, a complex on this scale was not thought possible for a community so ancient. The massive sequence of stratification layers suggests several millennia of activity, perhaps reaching back to the Mesolithic. The oldest occupation layer (stratum III) contains monolithic pillars linked by coarsely built walls to form circular or oval structures. So far, four such buildings, with diameters between 10 and 30m have been uncovered. Geophysical surveys indicate the existence of 16 additional structures.

• james_woods
    james_woods

What method did they use to date it?

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

Hey James,

I found this dating stuff on Wikipedia. It's C14. Initially, I thought that maybe the dating was probably off, but they found charcoal fire pits at the lowest levels. Apparently, the whole site was buried or covered over a while after it was made. Don't know if the people maybe thought the place was cursed or something. The place was made using stone and flint tools and blades, and is pre-agrarian society. fascinating!

The PPN A settlement has been dated to ca. 9000 BC. There are remains of smaller houses from the PPN B and a few epipalaeolithic finds as well.

There are a number of radiocarbon dates (presented with one standard deviationerrors and calibrations to BC):

Lab-NumberDate BPCal BCContext
    Ua-195618430 ± 807560–7370enclosure C
    Ua-195628960 ± 858280–7970enclosure B
    Hd-200259452 ± 739110–8620Layer III
    Hd-200369559 ± 539130–8800Layer III
    (9559 ± 53) oldest date. BCE.

Lab-NumberDate BPCal BCContext
    Ua-195618430 ± 807560–7370enclosure C
    Ua-195628960 ± 858280–7970enclosure B
    Hd-200259452 ± 739110–8620Layer III
    Hd-200369559 ± 539130–8800Layer III

The Hd samples are from charcoal in the lowest levels of the site and would date the active phase of occupation. The Ua samples come from pedogeniccarbonate coatings on pillars and only indicate a time after the site was abandoned—the terminus ante quem. [7]

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

What struck me about the article was all the assumptions that have to be made in order to believe this is a religious site.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit