Russian Tract campaign: "Could It Happen Again? A Question for the Citizens of Russia"

by TJ - iAmCleared2Land 26 Replies latest jw friends

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

http://www.jw-media.org/rus/20100226.htm

For Immediate Release
    February 25, 2010

Jehovah’s Witnesses address their fellow citizens

RUSSIA—On February 26-28, 2010, throughout Russia, from the Chukchi Peninsula in the east to Kaliningrad in the west, a special campaign is taking place. For these three days, tens of thousands of Russian Jehovah’s Witnesses are offering their fellow citizens a tract entitled Could It Happen Again? A Question for the Citizens of Russia . Twelve million tracts will be distributed.

Why did they decide to address this particular question? The Chairman of the Presiding Committee of the Administrative Center of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia, Vasily Kalin, said: “Sixty years ago in the Soviet Union, Jehovah’s Witnesses experienced an unprecedented wave of persecution and repression. Lately, a new wave, a systematic campaign of harassment is being carried out against Jehovah’s Witnesses; this time, some want to classify our literature and activity as extremist. Our meetings for worship are raided; worshippers are illegally detained, questioned, and searched. Their personal possessions are confiscated. In view of the seriousness of this situation, we, Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia, consider it necessary to provide our fellow citizens, not excluding government officials, with accurate information about ourselves, as well as about cases of the religious intolerance that we have encountered.”

International concern has been expressed over the growing intolerance of religious freedom in Russia even though the Russian Constitution guarantees this fundamental human right. On January 20, 2010, an appeal, signed by more than 40 human rights experts in Russia and throughout Eastern Europe, was sent to the highest Russian authorities, urging an end to the harassment and repression that Jehovah’s Witnesses are subjected to.

The last page of the tract states: “The tactics of innuendo and slander need not work on you. We hope that youwill make the effort to see through such empty talk.”

The tract can be read online in English and in Russian.

Media contact information:
    In Russia: Yaroslav Sivulsky, +7 911 087 80 09

In the United States: J.R. Brown 718-560-5600

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

I find it interesting how the "tone" of the tract is "our history", "fellow citizens"... as if they (Russian JW's) were trying to curry sympathy and affinity with their countrymen, when in fact they consider themselves NOT "part of the world". You wouldn't get that impression from the text of the tract. Also, their concern over being treated wrongly by the courts, when they don't afford those same concerns and sympathies to those they judge, punish, and banish internally.

Don't they do this to their own members?

CAN you imagine being denounced publicly as extremist or as dangerous? The very words are inflammatory, for they call to mind some of the worst crimes and the most frightening problems of our times. The more the claim is repeated, the more the people believe it. But does that make the accusations true?
  • sir82
    sir82
    The tactics of innuendo and slander need not work on you.

Priceless!

"No, leave the innuendo and slander to the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, who have 130 years of experience and know how to do it right."

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

If I remember correctly the whole russian issue blew up over their comments in the watchtower on the catholic church. I am sure someone else on this board can point to the offending watchtower articles.

Having read the article, I found nothing in the article that really answered or dismissed, the charges that had been leveled against them of inciting religious hatred.

If they are seriously going to hand out this tract, they might as well go and poke an angry bear with a stick!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought they should want this sort of treatment. I thought Jehoover was supposed to step in right about now and fix things.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

at least a Government at last are doing something right,the WTS should be classified as dangerous and extremist and rightly so, well done Russia. The WT is the most hypocritical and intolerant religious sect out there, hopefully Russia will begin out right banning and physical punishment to the dumb Dubs who flout the ban and continue to peddle their filth .

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    The last page of the tract states: “The tactics of innuendo and slander need not work on you.
    We hope that youwill make the effort to see through such empty talk.”

The WBT$ is accusing the Russian Government of Slander and Innuendo..

I doubt thats going to make things easier for Jehovah`s Witness`s in Russia..

LOL!!..

The WBT$ is also starting a door to door Campain against the Russian Government..

IN RUSSIA!!..

Who will be the WBT$ door to door messenger?.....Jehovah`s Witness`s!!..

The WBT$ is Run by IDIOTS!!..

.............................. ...OUTLAW

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Wait, so now it is ok to be politically active and influence the "fellow citizens" of one's country to vote in certain Dub-friendly ways? This is nothing but political activism and it's sanctioned by the borg. Their shame knows no bounds.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

WT is always quick to make the rules, then promptly do the opposite themselves.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

You know the guys in Brooklyn/upstate NY are rubbing their hands together like old Mr. Burns from the Simpsons over this chance! They need some persecution to fire up the troops! They did something similar in France when they hammered with the back taxes. I don't think that changed the stance of the French government one bit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit