Congregation Bible Study Book

by dig692 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dig692
    dig692

Not sure if this question was addressed yet, but does anyone know what the next book is that will be studied at the congregation bible study?

I'm pretty sure we're close to the end of Keep Yourselves in God's Love, or maybe it's finished already, so if anyone knows what the new study aid will be please let me know.

Thanks-Dig

• inbetween
    inbetween

its the "follow me" book, the new one about Jesus,

in fact anything is better than the "gods rules" book we had the past year...

• dig692
    dig692

so true inbetween. it will be nice to learn about jesus and not listen to stupid WT rules for a change. although i'm sure they will throw some in anyway just to keep the sheep under control.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    it will be nice to learn about jesus and not listen to stupid WT rules for a change.

I want to learn about the time Jesus killed the fig tree. That was pretty cool. The fig tree wasn't even a naughty fig tree and he killed it. I like Bible stories. I just don't quite understand the moral of the story behind that one. When they study that event, I hope somebody tells me about it so that I come along and learn The Truth about it.

I apologise if that was a bit off topic.

Cheers

Chris

• agonus
    agonus

The "new" Jesus book actually isn't that bad. Jesus always brightens dubland - at least for a little while. He's like a cool drink of water in a desert of GB-pimping. IMHO, the "Greatest Man" book was probably the last decent publication they ever released.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Black Sheep: "I want to learn about the time Jesus killed the fig tree. That was pretty cool. The fig tree wasn't even a naughty fig tree and he killed it. I like Bible stories. I just don't quite understand the moral of the story behind that one. When they study that event, I hope somebody tells me about it so that I come along and learn The Truth about it.

I apologise if that was a bit off topic.

Cheers

Chris

You talkin' to me? My ears were itching.

In those days, the religious officials lived in a separate town. They did not live among the people they governed. They lived in a town called Bethpage (also variations on the spelling, i.e. Bethphage). The word etymology means "UNripe figs". (The town was built by Nicodemus) "Tree" is also used as a metaphor for a species...whether it's a "family tree" or an organization, i.e. the watchtower has many "branches" or affiliates. The word "tree" has a figurative use here.

When Jesus cursed the Tree of the Unripe Figs, he was cursing these religious officials for their lies and deceit. Tree=religious leaders; Unripe figs=town of Bethphage. He very definately singled them out and pointed the finger. Religion is a commerce and always has been.

The fact that the tree withered was indication that Jesus did have some effect on exposing the religious charlatans and made a dent in their downfall. Notice that the tree was not pronounced as "withered" until after Jesus had turned over the tables at the temple. His aggressive action probably woke up a lot of people and they began to see that they were being exploited.

"The tree had withered" is colorful language that indicates the apostate movement had finally raised its head and the bloodsucking religious rulers were being withered and dried up financially as well as losing their authority. This is why all of Jesus's followers were tracked and murdered.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    When Jesus cursed the Tree of the Unripe Figs, he was cursing these religious officials for their lies and deceit

Rubbish, there is nothing in either narrative to suggest it was a figurative or symbolic tree, or a parable.

The timing is different in the narratives, which indicates that at least one of the narratives is bollocks. I don't believe either of them.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/187164/1/Jesus-Curses-the-Fig-Tree

• discoveringlife
    discoveringlife

They'll be reading about Jesus, but they won't be LIVING like Jesus. I'm still in the process of DA and everyone around me is acting very un-jesus like. It hurts, I feel like throwing them all the finger , but then I wouldn't be like Jesus. ARGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

What is "Congregational Bible Study"? We used to have "Congregational Book Study" but that was discontinued a couple years ago...

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, a "book study" on a separate night was combined with the theocratic school and the service meeting; all reduced in time to equal the original amount of time the 2 meetings too. No longer held in private homes although there still remain "service" groups that meeting at local homes. Yes, changed to "bible" but it is still only a jw "book" that is discussed.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/156843/1/Effects-of-the-changes-if-the-book-study-is-amalgamated-with-the-TMS

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/157205/1/Book-Study-provision-from-Jehovah-quotes-KM-so-why-cancelled-by-GB

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/157182/1/Copy-of-New-Bookstudy-Arrangement-Letter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit