A term that put me in my cult mind set...but only for a second

by doublelife 15 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

I'm so relieved to know it's not just me.

yknot, I'm glad I could help.

Confucious, lol. Well, since I'm not a guy I never knew the difference between the shirts. But, I always tried to wear my more casual skirts in FS and save the ones that had to be dry cleaned for the meetings.

White Dove, it still amazes me that jws change something as simple as clothes descriptions so that non-jws wouldn't understand. I mean, what non-jw would know what meeting clothes means?

dig692, I'm glad I started this thread.

chicken little, I never heard that joke but it makes since. lol

pixiesticks, lol. You have now been freed of that term. Don't let yourself say 'meeting clothes' anymore! :)

babygirl30, I hear ya. I don't buy dresses anymore either. I was going to throw mine out. The only reason I didn't is because sometimes when you do movies or commercials you have to provide your own wardrobe and I don't want to have to start from scratch if I need to be prepared with a dress or skirt.

cantleave, I was always too poor to buy a different outfit for teh memorial or the conventions. I was jealous of those that could.

garyneal, it's good that you're trying to stop that now while she's young.

• chickpea
    chickpea

wow! i had nearly forgotten that we had segregated our wardrobes into "civilian" and "meeting" categories

i can hear echoes now: get your meeting clothes on!

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

When I left I burned my briefcase with all its contents and threw all the suits, shirts and shoes in a container and stored in the top of the garage..I haven't seen them in over two years..

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

Meeting clothes - absolutely. That's why I don't wear skirts anymore... except jean skirts.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh yes, I love jean skirts!

• doublelife
    doublelife

chickpea, lol. That poor dog.

Quirky1, .

Hortenzie and White Dove, I have a really nice looking denim skirt that I wore to the convention in 2008 and my mom got onto me about it because denim is on the list of things you're not suppose to wear to bethel in that brochure the congregations got. It was so frustrating because they claim that they don't want you to wear denim because it's too casual but this skirt was not casual. I guess that's an example of my mom's black and white thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit