In ancient wall, scholar sees proof for Bible

by darthfader 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That is a sensationalist title for an article - such rhetorical fallacy. What does "proof for the Bible" mean. That suddenly we know beyond doubt that it is inerrant and inspired. It is of little relevance that a book can be correct from an Archaeological or historical perspective. I am well aware that much of the Bible has been discredited historically, but even if every word regarding times and places was 100% correct, it would not "prove" the Bible - whatever such a term is supposed to mean.

Elsewhere - Another Cult will rise proving that the Wizard of Oz in Australia not the US

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Elsewhere - Another Cult will rise proving that the Wizard of Oz in Australia not the US

The two cults will fight long and bloody wars, each accusing the other of blasphemy.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"The fortifications, including a monumental gatehouse and a 77-yard (70-meter) long section of an ancient wall, are located just outside the present-day walls of Jerusalem's Old City"

So this 70 meter section of wall they found was supposedly built by Solomon sometime between 1000-900 BC. Hmmm. Let's just compare that to something constructed about 2550 BC...

Kheops pyramid

Let's see, the Great Pyramid is 230 meters on each side and still 138.75 meters tall... and we're supposed to be impressed by a wall that is 70 meters long? Jeez, it's half as long as the pyramid is tall. And the pyramid is 1500 years older. Perhaps we should compare to something more around Solomon's era. King Tut lived around 300 years before Solomon. You want to talk about historical evidence?... How's this?

Tut

If bejeweled golden masks aren't your thing, there were a couple thousand other objects, and miles of text on the walls.

Nope, the Egyptians didn't have the "true religion" either, but they sure knew something about something.

And unless there are some inscriptions or measurements on those Jerusalem walls that point to the year 1914 or 2012, I don't see what the big deal is.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Yeah, Solomon really showed those Egyptians the right way to construct and preserve for all eternity.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Oops, sorry. I thought Solomon had made the sidewalk, railing, and city street, and that the lady was one of Solomon's concubines that came out of the excavation.

How was I to know that the pile of rocks on the left was important?

• moshe
    moshe

I'm still waiting for that scoll with the 500 names of people who claimed to have seen the risen Jesus to be unearthed, too.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    So this 70 meter section of wall they found was supposedly built by Solomon sometime between 1000-900 BC. Hmmm. Let's just compare that to something constructed about 2550 BC...

Hi Billy, point taken, but piles of stone and material culture aren't the only testament to a people's greatness. The ancient and classical Hebrews left us with a literature and theosophy that the Egyptians can't touch. And take the Greeks, they didn't leave behind anything like the pyramids, but, the ancient Egyptians can't touch that either, because the Greeks left us with ideas on natural philosophy that gave us our modern sciences. And the Romans, their code of Law and ideas about government are the ancestors of our own.

I'd like to ask: where are the original Egyptians today? Or the Romans? Or the Babylonians? Those peoples no longer exist. Peoples have come and gone, empires have risen and fallen. But the Jews are still here, and their ideas are present not only in their own culture, but in others as well that inherited them and built upon them, which account for near 4 billion people in the world today.

The pyramids? Nice tourist attractions, aren't they? I'd like to see them some day.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit