Funny double standards used by my wife today

by teel 11 Replies latest jw friends

• teel
    teel

So in an argument we get to the point that the WTS has problems. So what, says her, if you got a meter (or yardstick if you prefer) and one centimeter is missing, are you going to throw it all away? The same, if from the truth are missing only some pieces, is it not the truth? So I reminded her favorite demonstration used to point out why other churches are wrong: you have a glass of water that has one drop of poison. Would you still drink it saying that it's mostly water anyway?

Sometimes it's fun to be an UBM

• startingover
    startingover

Great comeback! I often wonder if someone would have thrown something like that in my face when I spouted something like that what I would have done. It's easy to think now that it would have made me think, but the truth is probably not. Double standards don't exist until you take the blinders off.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Yeah but if you take a section of a yard stick off it's no longer a yard stick! The "truth" would have no mistakes, ever, ever, ever. The "truth" would be all encompassing and loving, always, always, always. Religion doesn't come close.

• teel
    teel

Yes startingover, sadly someone who "has the truth" has no need to think, so logical responses are useless, as proven by my wife time and again.

AWF it's just nasty how this cult twisted that word, isn't it? I think that will be my final shackle to loose, the extra meaning of that word.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Great comeback. Most religions are 99% the same, so it is the 1 centimeter that is the important bit. Religions use that 1 centimeter as the reason that their followers are to be saved and all other billions of people are to be destroyed.

JW's think that there is a large difference between the WTS and everyone else; but that is only because they concentrate on the differences rather than the similarities. In reality all Christians accept the same holy book, believe in a creator and an afterlife, condemn pagan practices, have a similar list of moral obligations, believe in God's kingdom etc etc.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

When I was a kid in high I remember a situation when one of the rowdy students in our wood shop class cut 1" off of the 1 foot ruler. The wood shop teacher told another young lad to go and measure and cut to length a board 6 feet long. When he was done the board was 5 and one half feet long. My point, it was too short and couldn't be used.

LD

• ziddina
    ziddina

(teel's wife...): "So what, says her, if you got a meter (or yardstick if you prefer) and one centimeter is missing, are you going to throw it all away?..."

Teel: "other churches are wrong: you have a glass of water that has one drop of poison. Would you still drink it saying that it's mostly water anyway?..."

Ah, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! Good comeback!

Heck yes! I've got some yardstix and rulers that are beginning to lose the inch/centimeter markers due to long use - METAL rulers, btw - and they will be replaced when I cannot see the measurements accurately any longer!!

Throw that blasted religion with the pieces missing OUT! Zid

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I use to have a one yard cloth tape measure that I used for sewing. One day I accidentaly cut off the first inch. No problem i thought, its easy just to mentally add an inch when I measure something.

So I kept that damn tape measure, for years. It caused me no end of trouble and mistakes and wasted materials because I would forget about the missing inch.

I eventually threw the damn thing away and spent $1.99 on a new one, problems solved.

This story is a good analgy about how long it took me to toss the JW religion and how dumb it was to hang on to something that was completely useless and was costing me so dearly.

Excellant comeback Teel!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Religion is yard stick of bullshit that measures itself against other religions.

Tell your wife that when the WTS proselytized that 1975 would bring about Armageddon that was

a teaching from false religion, along with all the other false witnessing that the WTS has done.

After that tell her that this just convoluted bullshit to help the circulation of literature published by the

WTS. Then ask her, do you really think that god would be behind and support these men

and their actions.

• carla
    carla

Teel, that is so funny! I used that one on my jw too! No answer of course but sometimes their own literature can render them speechless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit