Do you miss God?

by wobble 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

I miss getting high on absolute certainty!

I miss having all the answers that matter!

I miss being right and having everybody else wrong!

I miss tuning out disagreement and just waiting my turn to zap opponents with a Truth Smackdown!

I miss arriving in a neighborhood like a gunslinger and getting into a fastdraw contest with one of Christendom's goats!

I miss my pathetic feeling of superiority and pathological desire for Jehovah to hurry up and destroy mankind so they'll know WE were right and they were dead wrong.

I miss my infantile dependance on others telling me exactly what I should do and think!

I miss having Big Daddy in the Sky listening to my droning prayers and relentless and empty list of "must haves" for comfort's sake.

But--do I miss God?

God was a mental viral infection that robbed me of identity, rationality and humility.

I now know I know nothing.

I have to be willing to listen and be wrong.

I'm not only no better than anybody else; I'm usually worse than I think I am.

I tremble at the thought I AM RESPONSIBLE for my own happiness.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Who?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

When I first left the JWS after being born into the faith, I still did think I could connect to god through other faiths, unfortunately

I was unsuccessful.

Eventually I realized that spiritualism was derived out manifestations out of human ignorance, thats a factual reality that doesn't need a belief.

• goldensky
    goldensky

I really like your question, Wobble.

I loved Jehovah with my whole heart. And I still feel lots of love for somebody up there, but I don't know who He is or whether He is. I pray as much as I did before, but my prayers are very, very different now. I'm almost sure He is not listening to me or to anybody else. I know now, as Alanv points out, everything I've done so far has been on my own strength. But the love remains...

Yes, I miss that God I so much loved and fully trusted, but His absence in my life now doesn't make me unhappy at all. Just intrigued.

I liked your post, Goinggoinggone.

• Heaven
    Heaven

No. To miss someone means that you've had a relationship and experiences with them. I've never had this with 'God'. He has never been present in my life. I've never felt him and he never spoke to me.

Years ago, my Mom told me that God has nothing to do with this world. Then she tried to tell me that he directs the WTS. Those 2 statements are in conflict and I never bought into the latter one. As a youngster I tried quite diligently to have a relationship with God but it just wasn't there. So you have to ask yourself, if God wants truth and the truth is that in order to have a relationship with someone you must be present with them, then how can he expect everyone to have a relationship with him when he is absent?

I do miss my family members who have passed away as well as the pets that are now gone that have been a part of my life over the years.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Once I began to look at things clearly, God, or at least the God taught in the Bible, got very ugly to me.

I still want to yell at him in anger some days. But I too don't think anyone up there is listening. Still I have found peace in other ways.

Jeff

• villabolo
    villabolo

No Wobble, although I tried to do what he asked of me (supposedly through the organization) but he was an absent parent. I even tried the "Born Again" surrender yourself to Jesus submission ritual. Bunk. He/They were never there in the first place. Nothing to miss.

As far as praising Creation goes, there is no designer needed. I believe the Cosmos created itself or was brought about in a Multiverse where there are a huge number of self created Universes. As a Pantheist the Universe is God.

Thanks for the question.

villabolo

• villabolo
    villabolo

Terry. Thank you for your introspection.

villabolo

• Miss Chievous
    Miss Chievous

I had the same feeling earlier today, was watching a nature program and wanted to thank Him for the wonderful things I was seeing. Having educated myself about evolution lately, the idea of the God that I was brought up to believe in does not sit so easily anymore. I still feel an overwhelming desire to correct others when they make erroneous statements about Him!! If I don't pray I do feel something is missing, I came to rely on prayer so much more as I was fading. I don't really know if anyone is there to hear me but I'll keep talking for now just the same! They say that those who pray live longer, healthier lives so there's obviously no harm in it!

Miss C

• ziddina
    ziddina

My reply is bratty - as usual - but, as posited by "Wobble", since I no longer believe in that/those Johnny-come-lately Middle Eastern Bronze-age 'gods'...

Sure I miss him!!! I tried a crossbow, an 'English' bow, and a shotgun, but I still couldn't hit that sucka'!!!!

(How CAN one hit a delusion, anyway...??)

Zid

(Sheesh. Since giving up my smileys, I want more and better ones than those available right now!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit