JW's and home schooling?

by semelcred 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ohhh dgp, I didn't mean that personally, it's a common point among pro homeschoolers. Not that you are or aren't. It's just an argument that never made sense to me.

• Aeiouy
    Aeiouy

I was schooled through American Home School. It was a joke. I did grades 9-12 and finished a year early. Both my parents worked full time during those 3 years, so I taught myself everything I know. I actually like it since I finished early, and at the time I was a gung-ho (sp?) pioneer. But, the hardest math I had to take was not even Algebra. I never took Trig or Calculus. Which sucks, because I'm starting college this fall, and am having to cram in 4 years of HS math just to make sure I'm not placed in a low class on the placement exam.

Aeiouy

• dgp
    dgp

Didn't take it personally, bekskbs. I surmise JW children aren't home schooled for financial reasons?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Dunno dgp, I just always wondered if home school parents receive some kind of aid. Honestly I wondered if that might make it a very attractive proposition for some parents.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Home schooled parents are not given any financial aid in the USA. If anything, it is expensive to buy the books and the curriculum. Some schools, you pay for the kid's work to be evaluated by professional teachers also. Some schools are quite expensive.

Definitely no financial incentive involved.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Is there some sort of monetary consideration for homeschoolers?

Beks, There's no subsidy check or tax break, if that's what you mean. If you "go it alone", it can be an expensive proposition. The pre-packaged curriculum packages aren't cheap, and you need to be sure the one you use is worth using (as others have noted, there are some horrid programs out there).

Some home school programs are publicly funded as charter schools, so there's no extra cost to the parents if they're eligible to register their child at a charter school in that school district. They have the resources and connections to get the books and other materials you need, and they must meet state standards to keep their charter shool status.

GLT

• zagor
    zagor

I don't know to what extent its used by witnesses. Home schooling can help a child who finds structure of regular school too hard to cope with, but requires high level of dedication and might I add knowledge from the parent or a guardian. It should be replaced with regular schooling as soon as it's convenient. I think JWs opt for that to "protect" kids and avoid socializing aspect of school life but in doing so cause more damage than good. I've seen too many witnesses who are incapable of getting their life together precisely because they were over protected. Its like with child illnesses. They give you imunity for the rest of your life and way it happens is by being exposed to those while you are a child. But if you were overprotected then you get to suffer as an adult and it ain't funny when you are struck with a childhood disease and usually you are sicklish for the rest of your life

• d
    d

I agree homeschooling has its benefits, you although have to be committed to learning all subjects such as math and English and how to work a computer.education is very vital for survival in the 21st century

• Ding
    Ding

The idea that government run schools are great, normal, and without their own agendas is naive.

If parents want to home school their kids, let them.

It's their kids.

The kids don't belong to the State.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Just read about one jw homeschool family's curriculum for this year. (The mom has a blog and that blog needs content!). She says the science textbook is Life How Did it Get Here...

I am so happy my granddaughter has escaped that ignorance-embracing cult, and is doing well in public school!

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit