Calvinists: Why I Can't I Choose to be Saved?

by leavingwt 51 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

To the Calvinists among us, please assist me in understanding this. . .

Arminianism teaches that each person is not spiritually helpless. Rather, each person has free will and can choose to be saved. In support of these beliefs, the Scriptures below are often quoted.

Matthew 11:28-30 (New International Version)

28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Acts 16:30-31 (King James Version)

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Revelation 22:17 (King James Version)

17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Will you please explain why these passages do not contradictCalvinism?

There is a wealth of material online and I've examined some of it. I'm more interested in a simple explanation, such as what you'd use in your personal ministry.

Thank you,

LWT

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi LWT,

This is a tricky subject, an "advanced" topic indeed!

I have recommended this on the board before be here it is again

Predestination

I don't not agree with everything Mark says but I am sure he will help you as I too have benefitted from his teaching :)

Blessings,

Stephen

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Quote: This is a tricky subject, an "advanced" topic indeed!

That might be your first clue.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Stephen -- Thank you for the link. I'll check it out. I appreciate that it's not simple, but I think you'll agree that from the perspective of the outsider, this is a crucial/central issue.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    That might be your first clue.

Point taken. I like to invite people to speak out on these issues. This allows me to examine more information and perspectives.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I understand, leavingt, I was talking to Calvinist, who have chosen (not been given by god) a totally depraved belief system.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Be nice, Six.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Have god make me

• Farkel
    Farkel

Calvinists are self-righteous twits. There is nothing more to say on the matter.

Farkel

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

My first stop on the way out of the WT was a Calvinist house church. I do think there is one positive point, they really do try to give all the glory to God.

However, try as they might, and try as I could, I simply couldn't accept TULIP. To me, strict 5-point Calvinism makes God more evil than Satan could ever be with all his power. It basically says that he positively (not merely foreknew) chose to create some of us to condemn us to Hell forever. I believe God wants all of us to be saved, he just knows that some of us will not want to be, yet he leaves the door open as long as possible.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit