BBC NEWS... Woman died after blood 'refusal'

by Orha 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Orha
    Orha

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/7335068.stm

I dont usualy post here as everyone else does a fine job, but this subject is my pet hate!

How is this religion still 'trading'? When will they ever be brought into account for all the unnecessary deaths this organisation has promoted?

As we know many people would of died/become martyrs for the no-organ transplant rule before that was given the green light. The same goes for now allowing blood fractions. How many people died before that little gem of new light was released?

I cant understand why this cult is still going!?

anyway, thanks for listening and thanks for this great site!

• cantleave
    cantleave

This was a truly tragic case and a compltely unnecessary death. I agree there needs to be some accountability.

• Scully
    Scully

Woman died after blood 'refusal'

A mother who died after giving birth in hospital would have had a much higher chance of survival if she had accepted a blood transfusion, an inquest heard.

Emma Gough, 22, of Telford, Shropshire, who was a Jehovah's Witness, died after giving birth to twins at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, the inquest heard.

She would not have a transfusion because of her religious beliefs.

Coroner John Ellery said the inquest was about how and why she died and was not an exploration of her faith.

Back into theatre

Dr Nick Reed, a consultant in obstetrics and gynaecology, said he believed "without a shadow of doubt" she would have survived, had she had a transfusion.

Mrs Gough had discussed with her GP and her consultant the fact she was a Jehovah's Witness and she did not want a transfusion, the inquest heard.

She had been told what the consequences could be if there were any possible complications.

A boy and girl were delivered safely in October last year, but Mrs Gough developed a complication.

She lost a lot of blood, had to go back into theatre and came out of theatre, but her condition worsened.

Throughout the process Mrs Gough and her family were told that a transfusion could save her life.

But because of their religious beliefs, they refused and this led to her death, the inquest heard.

The coroner is expected to record his verdict later in the week.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/shropshire/7335068.stm

Published: 2008/04/07 19:08:19 GMT

© BBC MMX

• Scully
    Scully

The WTS will never be held to account because they have hired lawyers to very conveniently transfer the accountability for refusing blood transfusions to the individual patient.

Until JWs wake up and realize that this is EXACTLY why they sign their NO BLOOD card every year, to remove any legal liability from the physicians, hospitals, and most importantly, the Watchtower Society, and accept complete responsibility for the consequences of refusing blood transfusions, innocent lives will be lost.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if it were MEN dying in childbirth from extreme blood loss instead of women, the blood transfusion doctrine would be history - in fact, I doubt it ever would have been an issue. But since the issue affects women and children, the WTS has decided to demonstrate just how poorly they value the lives of women and children over the lives of adults with a penis.

• Orha
    Orha

My apologies, i thought this was a new news article, it flagged up in my RSS feed for some reason.

Time to take a look at the wording of the the no-blood card i think.

• wobble
    wobble

What was the Coroners verdict in this sad case ? Accidental death would be a bad verdict, suicide ?

Love

Wobble

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

Normally the coroner gives a one or two word verdict on the case. Accidential death, suicide etc etc

However from the reports the coronor verdict is narative

Coroner John Ellery recorded a narrative verdict that Mrs Gough died of severe anaemia caused by complications of birth and said that if she had accepted a blood transfusion "in all probability" she would have survived
    Quote taken from the daily mail.

• nelly136
    nelly136

just putting in the whole article on the inquest result in case anyone wants to look it up another time

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-558144/Jehovahs-Witness-refused-blood-transfusion-giving-birth-said-Ive-babies-Ill-happily-die.html

A Jehovah's Witness who died after refusing a blood transfusion following childbirth had told a midwife she would happily die now she had her children, an inquest heard yesterday.

Emma Gough, 22, gave birth to a healthy boy and girl and was taken to a recovery ward where she was able to breastfeed the twins.

But the inquest heard she developed a "huge" blood clot leaving her in severe pain.

Emma Gough, with husband Anthony, lost more than four pints of blood after developing a 'huge' clot shortly after delivering healthy twins

She was taken into an operating theatre for an exploratory procedure to remove the clot and find the source of bleeding.

Midwife Kelly Roberts told how, before the operation, Mrs Gough had alluded to the restrictions placed upon her by her faith - which dictates that certain Bible passages explicitly prevent followers from receiving blood transfusions.

The midwife said: "Emma stated to me that she was happy whatever happened to her, even if she died, as she had had her babies."

Registrar Dr Lucy Turner told the inquest she had twice asked Mrs Gough if, in a "life and death situation", she would accept a blood transfusion, and each time the Jehovah's Witness said "no".

Dr Turner, who delivered the twins, said Mrs Gough was "rational, clear and coherent".

The inquest had previously heard that Olufunso Oyesanya, the consultant gynaecologist on duty at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, had, along with other staff, repeatedly pleaded with Mrs Gough, her husband Anthony, 24, and her parents to overrule an "advance directive" signed by the patient which barred

a blood transfusion.

He said Mrs Gough had been aware of the risks of haemorrhaging after giving birth and had signed the directive after a "long discussion" with other hospital staff earlier in her pregnancy.

Mr Oyesanya said: "She knew of the risk of haemorrhage and that a blood transfusion could be lifesaving.

"I formed the impression we could have corrected the blood loss by transfusion but she would not accept a blood transfusion."

Mrs Gough, of Telford, Shropshire, died the day after the operation to remove the clot last October.

Mr Oyesanya told the hearing in Shrewsbury that hours after Mrs Gough's death he had spoken to her mother, Glenda Delaney, who is also a Jehovah's Witness.

Mrs Delaney told him her daughter had "remained faithful to her God".

An expert witness who produced a report on Mrs Gough's treatment on behalf of the Medical Protection Society, representing Dr Turner, told the inquest Mrs Gough's care had been "acceptable and defendable".

James Walker, a professor of obstetric gynaecology at St James's University Hospital in Leeds, concluded: "Mr Oyesanya managed to stop the flow of blood and a blood transfusion would have allowed Mrs Gough to recover."

He said clots caused by blood vessels rupturing from stress placed on them by childbirth were a "natural occurrence" affecting around one in 2,000 deliveries.

Coroner John Ellery recorded a narrative verdict that Mrs Gough died of severe anaemia caused by complications of birth and said that if she had accepted a blood transfusion "in all probability" she would have survived.

She received "appropriate medical care and treatment".

After the inquest, Mrs Gough's family refused to comment.

A spokesman for Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust said: "These were tragic and unusual circumstances and our deepest sympathies are with Emma's family."

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

another murder by association

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Wow! I remember reading about this. Incidently I now know this brother and his two children. They are the cutest things EVER!!!

Now that i dont class myself as a JW anymore, I can see that it was so unnescesary and such a real shame.

Its true that she was haemorraging blood and a transfusion may have done little to help, but they could have tried.

The kids are growing up without their mum. As a family they are doing well, but I still think its sad.

Tim x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit