***URGENT Advice Needed***

by babygirl30 37 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

Hey everyone!

I will be going into the hospital for surgery on Tues...my first one EVER! The surgeon has gone over the procedure and informed me that it's 'bloody' and so she gave me all my options. Of course I left the office with the mindset that whatever I need done surgery (blood transfusion) that I would accept it - reasoning in MY mind that I am no longer a JW, THEY decided to DF me and kick me out, so I am no longer bound by THEIR rules.

So after 6 mos of no contact at all, I stopped by my parents house on my way home from the dr's to inform them about my upcoming surgery. To be honest, I'm ot really sure WHY I felt the need to tell them - guess it's just my 'daughterly duty' to make them aware of what was going to happen so as least they knew (courtesy)...but it opened a door I'm not sure I WANTED opened. YES I miss being able to openly talk to my family and see them whenever, and I have worked very hard at accepting their decision to shun me. What's bothering me NOW is the fact that they are 'involved'. See, when I stopped by my mom was praciting a 'talk' with another sister in her cong - so when she came to the door and I told her what was happening in 5 days, she told me what she was doing and asked if she could call me? I told her yes and left. I made it 5 mins around the corner and she called me to come BACK to the house right away...so i did. She lets me in the sister she was practicing with was sitting RIGHT THERE...my mom asked me to go back in her room and wait till she was done - which was fine with me (the sister she was with is an a$#). So she finishes up and comes and lays on the bed and procedes to ask me what I'm going to do and the schedule for everything...things were ok till she brought up the blood issue and STRONGLY suggested that I look into going to the hospital she had her surgeries in because they have a 'bloodless center' there RUN by JWs in that area. She throws this elders number at me and tell me to 'call him right away' cause he is in charge of the hospital liason committee and I should talk to him becaues the hospital my surgery will be in is NOT considered a 'bloodless option' and they supposedly have given countless JWs and issue with that choice??? Now here is my issue:

1. I am NOT a JW anymore...haven't been for over 1yr now.

2. WHY in the hell would I want to travel an hour away JUSt to have surgery at a hospital that has a 'bloodless' center BUT is run BY all JWs when I'm not one of them any longer AND would possibly make an issue?

3. WHAT reason do I have to call an elder...especially the one in charge of the liason? Um...I don't need HIS help.

So all WEEK my mom and dad have been calling to see HOW I feel, HOW i'm doing, IF I needed anything, AND offered for me to move IN with them after my surgery. HUH??????? I'm so confused...my mom ended up calling this elder on her own and he told her exactly what I said - they can't HELP me because I'm in a 'DFd state' - hahahahahaha that just sounds so funny - and so there is nothing HE can do. My mom started crying to ME about it...and I just sucked my teeth, again, what do I need HIS help for? He is a man...nobody special. I guess I just need support right now. My boyfriend and my TRUE friends all are really helping me out and taking care of me as now the surgery countdown is at 1 day (it's on Tues) but I'm still SCARED and anxious...not just because of the surgery, but I'm feelin kinda 'guilty 'about the blood issue now, I'm nervous about my friends and boyfriend meeting my parents for the FIRST time (parents dont' even KNOW about him), and I'm just worked up about the whole thing.

Anyhow have advice?????

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

First of all, BabyGirl, best of luck on your surgery, and great strength and speedy healing to you!

Next, do you have someone who can make medical decisions for you? If not, set up a legal power with someone you trust explicitly, and make sure they KNOW YOUR SITUATION with family etc. who might try to force a refusal! Set this stuff up beforehand and there won't be an issue... hopefully.

Someone with more legal knowledge can advise you better...

In the meantime... stress is not what you need right now!

Love,
    Baba.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Holy besonkers! You're obviously extremely stressed over your surgery, and having some of the residual effects of the cult - at least I think so on the latter.

1. I am NOT a JW anymore...haven't been for over 1yr now. You're laughing. They have no control over you now.

2. WHY in the hell would I want to travel an hour away JUSt to have surgery at a hospital that has a 'bloodless' center BUT is run BY all JWs when I'm not one of them any longer AND would possibly make an issue?

Exactly. Don't confuse this what needs to be done.

3. WHAT reason do I have to call an elder...especially the one in charge of the liason? Um...I don't need HIS help.

Of course! You're crowbait like we all are - they don't give two shits about you, even if you wanted to come back to 'the fold'.

I don't know how old you are, but it must be very difficult to be going through this without a mother / father to give you some moral support. I think this is one of the biggest tragedies of young adults lives. You're scared as shit and now you have this bullshit to deal with on top of it.

Really, are you going to move in with your parents? Of course not! Why are they offering? Because they are scared that they will never see you again, because they FEEL GUILTY! And rightly they should. They have probably treated you like shit for a while, and now this could be it and this is their pathetic way to make it all up to you. Don't fall for it.

These kinds of posts bother me because I can just sense how upset you are and how scared you must be and you really need that mother / father to say that they care. You poor thing.

Stay strong. You are in my thoughts. And please check back in so we can see if you are allright after the surgery.

Take care.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Baba popping in again with links... read up! You'll get over that "residual guilt" you feel over the blood issue!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/182412/1/Im-Still-Torn-About-the-Blood-Issue

Ever wonder why the blood issue appeared in the FIRST place? You know... it didn't start until 1945! Curious, no?
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/126825/1/Persecution-Wanes-Banning-Blood-Garners-Publicity

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/131789/1/Gene-Smalley-and-the-Watchtowers-Blood-Transfusion-Doctrine

Also, check your PM in a bit... I'm headed there to leave you a note now.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

What Baba Yaba said. Put on record what your medical decisions are, who has power of attorney, etc. Your parents still may be your legal next-of-kin, do you want them to be the decision-makers? It puts them on the spot, having to choose between following the WT doctrines or observing your wishes.

You mentioned a boyfriend, if he's the one you want making the decisions be sure everything is in writing and meets the legal requirements. Ask about the necessary paperwork before you check in the the hospital. Ask the hospital office if there is a particular form you should use, whether witnesses to your signature or a notary is required, etc.

By the way, you did a good thing by telling your parents. Parents do want to know, and they do care for you (in their Witness way).

Don't worry and trust in the skill of your doctor. Have a speedy recovery!

GLT

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi babygirl, enough good advice already posted, just wanted to wish you all the best!

Mattieu..

• life is to short
    life is to short

Hi just wanted wish you all the best. The other ones posted very good advice.

My parents were just like yours. It is hard, we all want our parents to care about us. It hurts, it really hurts that they can be like this. I am truly sorry.

Hurry and get well and let us all know as soon as you can that you are doing OK.

LITS

• nelly136
    nelly136

they have nothing to do with since youre dfd but now they've seen a glimmer of hope.

theyre desperate for you to have the bloodless , if they can get you to refuse blood and you end up dying....in their minds they've saved you. you'll have died faithful.

and if you survive they can get right back to shunning you.

in the meantime theyve managed to shake you up and get you all stressed just before a major procedure.

that really sux

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Wish you all the best babygirl.

• oldflame
    oldflame

In January of 1997 I suffered a Anyuerism in my brain. I was comatose and was not able to make the decisions for myself. So my sister got power of attorney over me so that my mother the witness could not decide for me not to have blood. And yes she would have done so. So I guess the best thing I could say is you should also do the same but make sure it is the person whom you trust with your life like your boyfriend.

Good Luck with your surgery, speedy recovery.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit