You're Invited: 35th Year Reunion of 1975 Survivors --- Fall 2010 (Chicago Suburbs)

by Expanded-Mind 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Expanded-Mind
    Expanded-Mind

Hello!

A friend sent me this invitation and I asked her if it was OK to post it on this site.

So to all who at one time associated with any congregation in Chicago or the North, Northwest, West suburbs of Chicago ---Palatine, Arlington Heights, DesPlaines, Morton Grove, Northbrook, Barrington, Round Lake, Grays Lake, Libertyville, Woodstock, to name but a few --- duing the mid-1970's, please go to the link including to sign up and/or find out more information about this event.

Expanded-Mind

Dear Friends,

I am a quiet voice of the many thousands that remember where they were in 1975.

In January 1975 I was 15 years old, and was one of the 295,073 that were baptized as a Jehovah’s Witnesses.

I believed the teachings of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, which taught that the end of this system of things was fast approaching, and that God’s Kingdom would be ushered in following the great war of Armageddon. One of the Watchtower publications stated that According to trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man’s creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E.”—Life Everlasting – In Freedom of the Sons of God, 1966, p. 29 (you can read more on this subject yourself at http://www.4jehovah.org/help-1975-prophecy.php )

I also remember attending a Circuit Assembly in 1974 that emphatically stated no one who was not a dedicated baptized witness should expect Gods protection during the coming world destruction. Hence, I choose baptism rather than face destruction.

That was 35 years ago. Had this prophecy been correct, we would all now be living in a restored paradise earth, or would have been destroyed. Since neither is true, I am compelled to ask,

How do you remember 1975?

Were you one of the 2,179,256 publishers that were powerfully influenced by these presumptuous, misleading prophesies? Did you forgo an education, a career, marriage, or even having a family? Did you sell your business or property to give more time and resources to “Preach the Good News of the Kingdom”? What have you sacrificed?

How did 1975 affect you?

Have you recovered from whatever personal disappointments you experienced, and moved on - perhaps even flourished in this “present system of things?” Or, are you one of the many that remain with still unanswered questions, struggling to resolve personal religious and social issues? Or, are you even perhaps one that still remains hopeful for the promise of the “New World”?

What memories do we all share from 1975?

I seek out the friends I once called Brothers and Sisters, true friends that now believe in lasting relationships without labels or religious prejudice. I am suggesting a reunion this year in the fall of 2010, a 35 year reunion of 1975 survivors.

People seek reunions for many reasons - I seek to remember and celebrate all who have moved past the threats of destruction and into a life of significance without the control of the Watchtower Society. I look forward to being reunited with friends I grew up with, to remember our past and share dreams for the future…to unite in our challenges and inspire one another to live out our victories…to seek validation and understanding from those that understand the sacrifices of our unique generation.

We are currently planning this reunion for Saturday, September18th, 2010 in the suburbs of Chicago.

I am inviting all that have relocated to come back, to reunite with old friends and even make new friends. If you cannot come to Chicago, please consider having a 1975 reunion in your local area. There are “Meet Up “groups available around the world for individuals seeking others that understand and accept each other without expectations or judgments.

Registration and details for this event will be available soon on a local Meet Up site http://exjw.meetup.com/429/calendar/12514437

This invitation is genuine and from my heart. I welcome its being passed on to anyone you think would also appreciate this type of reunion. I am very excited look forward to seeing you soon.

Most sincerely,

(formerly of the Palatine, Des Plaines and Morton Grove congregations in Illinois)

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Armageddon broke out and the old system collapsed in 1975. Invisibly.

• VIII
    VIII

I probably met this person at the roller rink in Schaumburg. Weird. That would be in about 1974/1975. Before Armageddon, of course.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I used to go to that roller rink too! From 84-86. Ironically. That was what you DID when you were a JW youth... or be in Witness Bands apparently LOL.

• Elisa1991
    Elisa1991

I am new to this site so please excuse me if I am not fully into how this all works. I am sent out this invitation hopping it would be passed on. And Im glad it got posted. If we met at rollerskating ( the only approved form of recreation we had, until the local elders put a kabash on it....all that worldly music. I think someone sniched and told them that a "Brick House" wasnt refering to a building) I hope we can meet again at the reunion. I would love to find old friends, that why Im planning this.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I know one person involved in organizing that group. I'll be there.

I think Elisa is saying the elders and others figured out what this song meant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBx6mAWYPU&feature=PlayList&p=6749D930781FA5F9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=27

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Our newbies that wanted this thread need to know that you need to occasionally bump a thread, especially ones posted on a quiet Sunday.

Here you are with a bump to the top (bttt).

• Nowman
    Nowman

I went to that Roller Rink too, wasnt it called Fireside. I was a kid, about 9-10 years old lets say 82-83. My mom was single, and she met my step dad there, and they eventually married and he adopted me. We were from Addison at the time, and he was from the Elston Ave hall.

Funny thing about that letter posted, is that I went to the Round Lake and Libertyville halls, you dont see those hall names posted often.

Nikki

• VIII
    VIII

I will try to be at that meet up.

Yes, it was Fireside!

I think every JW kid, from every KH in the 70's and early 80's went there. I fell on my butt more times than I can count there! Me and four wheels strapped to my feet--well, that was not a great combo! I can picture the dubs skating in circles in the semi-dark rink with the mirrored balls overhead.

Ahhh, the memories!

• nelly136
    nelly136

wow 35 year reunion, time flies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit