Volunteering

by Quillsky 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Now that you, as a former JW, have a few evenings and some weekend time freed up, and "charity" is no longer a dirty word, ........ do you do any kind of volunteer work?

I'm seriously thinking about it.

• cofty
    cofty

I would recommend it. I set up a junior football (soccer) club 12 years ago, its been very rewarding. It now has around 150 members and has led to loads of opportunities and friendships. Volunteering is a good way to met people and learn new skills

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Clyde and I joined a local Moose Lodge. At first it was just because the meals were inexpensive, we could meet more of our neighbors--but now we are also volunteering in some of their many charitable programs.

• crapola
    crapola

Not yet but I have been looking into some different things to do. So hopefully soon.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I volunteer on a regular basis. In addition to being very rewarding, you begin to see people as people and not moving objects that will be done away with because they do not attend meetings at the KH. It really helps you put things into perspective.

• cry
    cry

Part of my job is recruiting, training and supporting volunteers for the charity I work for. I can testify that the benefit the volunteers get is enormous. Almost all of them report an increase in self-esteem, self-worth, an improvement in their mental health, an increase in their social network and skills that can be used in the workplace. I treasure them all and appreciate everything that they do for us. I have also volunteered in the past and I would say that it is very worthwhile and mutually beneficial. Just be sure that the organisation or group has all the necessary policies and guidelines in place to protect you.

• wobble
    wobble

Bloody do-gooders !

Only joking, I agree with the above, I have always done some voluntary stuff, even when in the Borg, but then I always felt guilty that, though what I was doing was of benefit to the community, I wasn't doing "lifesaving field service" during that time.

Now I am just happy to be doing something worth while, and not wasting my time for a publishing corporation, the WTB$

Love

Wobble

• chickpea
    chickpea

i serve on a board for a local chapter
    of a national advocacy organization,
    unpaid and always up for the work!

i DEFINITELY am getting in my 10 hours
    and then some... networking, researching,
    writing and speaking for the cause...

it is exciting, it is maddening, and
    i love every minute of it

• Heaven
    Heaven

I would love to do some volunteering, however, right now, my spare time is primarily spent helping out my Dad.

• nelly136
    nelly136

when i took over the shop it was in dire straits so i asked for minimum wage and i take a set hour wage weekly, the amount of hours i do on top is the same again and often more but unpaid. i've declined the offer of a payrise because although its recovering well i dont want to add anything to the overheads. its become a mission to get it sorted and i'm loving it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit