Watchtower's Official Policy Concerning College

by VM44 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

Is it official Watchtower policy that an elder cannot remain an elder if he allows his children to go to college?

Also, is it official policy that a person cannot have "privileges" or even pioneer if they are attending college?

If it is, can someone post scans of the official BOE letters stating the Watchtower policy concerning college?

This is important enough to verify and confirm.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Sounds like some JW's are going to have more time for college.

People need to force their hand to change or let it collaspe from the weight of the burdens it imposes on it's membership.

Think About It

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

These are not the policies. I have a close relation who is an elder and his daughter recently graduated with a B.A. from a 4 year school. I wonder if you are thinking about a letter to the BOE a while back that warned elders against actively/verbally "encouraging" college(?) in the face of the Society's rhetoric against it? I think the rationale (weak, admittedly) is that quietly letting your child go is one thing (your own business) but actively promoting it is another...

Sort of "don't ask, don't tell."

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

VM44 ...

There is no absolute official policy other than the recommendations (sometimes strong) to focus on spiritual things and not advanced education.

From a practical standpoint, it all ends up with where you live and the particular body of elders you are dealing with.

I still have some close frends in the NY/CT area and there, the majority of people graduating from high school go on to some sort of college, either 2 or 4 years.

The big no-no occurs when a young person goes "away" to college instead of living at home and commuting. That's where the whole bad association thing comes into play, etc. So for people living in urban areas with access to advanced education, it is far less of an issue than a potato farmer in Idaho, if you get the jist of the comment.

I personally know of 6 or 8 young people in college with fathers who are elders. So no, it's not an official policy thing but more of a regional thing.

Rub a Dub

• VM44
    VM44

I am interested in what has "officicially" been said concerning attending college by The Watchtower, what they have actually "put in print" and so cannot say they didn't say it.

• VM44
    VM44

Thanks Rubadub.

Even the Watchtower probably knows it would be going to far to ban college. (like they did smoking)

• blondie
    blondie

I think these policies fall into 2 categories:

1) those that are internal policies that each BOE determines which can be widely varying

2) those that are imposed by the current CO which may or may not be adopted by the BOE

• sd-7
    sd-7

Officially, it's a personal decision for which people aren't to be judged. In reality, plenty of disparaging remarks against higher education come from the platform and the publications on a regular basis. It's allowed, but discouraged. There would not be any official consequences that could be supported by WT literature that I know of. So long as the person lives up to WT requirements, it doesn't really matter. It might be seen as questionable, especially because someone who knows a little too much could become arrogant, dangerous, or money-hungry.

They had to keep it open-ended so they could escape scrutiny, if necessary, by pulling the "personal decision" card. At least that's my take on it. But I'm sure someone can come up with actual quotes for you.

--Christopher

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The policy is this:

1. If the college education will directly benefit the WTS, then it is OK. (e.g., A Bethelite going to college to be a lawyer for the WTS.)

2. If the college education will directly benefit an individual, then it is NOT OK. (e.g., A JW gets a degree that will result in a good paying job.)

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

RubaDub got it right. I don't have access to the actual letter at this time, nor can i remember all the specifics, but the part that stood out the most was for Elders currently serving, or those who were being looked at as potential Elders, and whether or not their kids went away to college as in living away from home. As RubaDub stated, the issue of Bad Association and also how others in the congregation viewed the matter comes into play. If my memory serves me correct, an Elder currently serving who's child attends a University away from home, his privileges were to be revoked, although i could be wrong. What I know for a fact though, is if he was being considered as a potential Elder and his kid is away from home attending college, he was NOT to be considered any longer. I guess he's not setting a good example.

Another thing, for the record, the WTS has never to my knowledge ever come out and said, "No to College", but they do STRONGLY discourage persuing higher education especially anything longer than two years. Only in recent years have they backed off a little bit, saying maybe "some secular education" may be needed. As others stated depending on your location, attending a university can be viewed positively, or negatively. Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. But for the recored, there is no "official policy".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit