WBTS NULLIFY ones baptisim

by bj 14 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger

Here ya go. Re-baptizm can be as a result of not being spiritually clean at the time of baptism. This was given to me by the sevice department about ten years ago in a case that involved bigamy. We recended the baptism and they had to be re-baptized after clearing up the marriage arrangement.

*** w62 6/1 332-3 Why Be Baptized? ***
    REBAPTISM NECESSARY?
    11 Due to certain circumstances at the time when they got baptized or due to subsequent developments, some have doubts about the validity of their past dedication and baptism, and they wonder if they should be rebaptized. They may have been baptized at an early age or while they were very immature in the truth, or after baptism they became inactive in the ministry for a time. At the baptism ceremony a talk on baptism is given to make clear what is involved in the matter of dedication and baptism. If one later has some doubts about the validity of his dedication, he should ask himself whether he understood that water baptism symbolized a dedication to do Jehovah’s will and whether he had actually made a dedication to do Jehovah’s will prior to baptism, even though his knowledge of the truth was limited at that time and he may have been gaining accurate knowledge by a Bible study for only a short time. Were the questions at the end of the ceremony answered in the affirmative and with a basic understanding of the significance thereof?
    12 Naturally all should have grown in appreciation of their dedication since symbolizing it by water immersion. Certainly we did not appreciate it fully when we made it, or as fully as we do now. But this does not necessarily mean that we should be rebaptized, even though our immaturity might have later caused a temporary lapse in fulfilling our ministerial responsibilities. But if one submitted to baptism mainly because of emotional factors and without proper understanding, or in order to please one’s parents or others, and if this baptism did not symbolize a prior dedication to do Jehovah’s will, it would be proper to be baptized again. Dedication must come before baptism and not afterward.
    13 Certain personal circumstances existing at the time of baptism would necessitate rebaptism. The psalmist David, in a song of praise to Jehovah, stated: “Who may ascend into the mountain of Jehovah, and who may rise up in his holy place? Anyone innocent in his hands and clean in heart, who has not carried My soul to sheer worthlessness, nor taken an oath deceitfully. He will carry away blessing from Jehovah and righteousness from his God of salvation.” (Ps. 24:3-5) Dedication is a bilateral arrangement. Jehovah is the superior and we are the inferiors. Jehovah makes the terms of dedication; we comply with them. He requires that we first repent, turn from our former unclean practices and present ourselves as clean before him.
    14 We could not imagine Jehovah accepting the dedication of anyone living in an immoral situation or doing at the time of baptism things that would result in his being cut off from Jehovah’s favor by disfellowshiping, if he were already in the Christian congregation. In ordinary business a contract is not valid unless it is signed and sealed properly by all parties concerned. On this principle it would be necessary for a formerly unfit person to be baptized again even though after his former baptism he discontinued these wrongs and made advancement in the truth and service of Jehovah. The first baptism could not symbolize a dedication made under proper circumstances that Jehovah could accept. He should now make a firm resolve to do Jehovah’s will and thus dedicate his life to Jehovah’s service and then submit to baptism at the earliest opportunity. If an unclean situation developed sometime after dedication and baptism, this would not make the dedication invalid. The individual, however, would be subject to appropriate discipline by the organization.
    15 While the one performing the baptism should be a dedicated brother, the baptizer is not the important thing to consider in determining the validity of the baptism. The main question is, Have we heard the dedication discourse arranged by Jehovah’s theocratic organization and have we submitted ourselves to be baptized by one assigned by the organization? It would not be of concern to us later if it was found that the one who did the baptizing or the one who gave the baptism discourse found it necessary for himself to be baptized again. The important thing is the validity of the organization that he represented at the time and by the authorization and appointment of which he performed the water baptism.

• Scully
    Scully

I was baptized at the age of 17, two years before I reached the age of majority, and legally not permitted to enter a contract with an "organization". I'm hoping that, along with a stern lawyer's letter, will be enough to nullify my baptism if the question ever comes up.

The other thing I'm wondering... since the Society has always had such a negative view on beards.... the JW who baptized me had a beard at the time. I have photographs. Does HIS not conforming to WTS 'recommendations' tarnish my baptism in any way?? Just a thought.

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Doesn't the Bible say, if you make a vow to God its a vow that can't be broken by any man. If that persons vow was made between him and God who has the right to annul it? It is between him, and God and no one else.

• Scully
    Scully

orangefatcat writes:

Doesn't the Bible say, if you make a vow to God its a vow that can't be broken by any man. If that persons vow was made between him and God who has the right to annul it? It is between him, and God and no one else.

In 1985, the WTS changed the second of the two baptismal questions to include loyalty to the WTS in the vow. They adulterated a person's dedication to God in this way, by including a man-made organization as the entity through which one approaches God.

Basically, they've bastardized the rite of baptism into a legal contract with a multinational publishing house and real estate conglomorate that masquerades as a religion. Rather presumptuous of them, don't you think?

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• Derrick
    Derrick

The reasoning goes that those who are baptized absolutely know the truth, thus any sin as defined by the present teachings they commit after their baptism is deliberate. If someone is dying of AIDS, for example, there is a strong case for the conclusion that the Society is letting them off the hook. Ordinarily if they were in a disfellowshiped state on their death bed, they would not be entitled to a funeral. Also the Society believes the likelihood of their being resurrected is slight if nonexistent.

However, by nullifying their baptism like the Catholic Church nullifies marriages, you avoid this issue. They revert back to a "worldly person" and die as a person of the world, which is actually good from the standpoint of current JW teachings. "Worldly" people who die before Armageddon without "the truth" will most likely receive a resurrection and opportunity to learn "the truth" in the new system of things. However, if one is a baptized JW who is DF'd and dies, one may not receive a resurrection according to the Society's present teachings.

Therefore, I can only conclude that the Society is trying to help save those who are dying by letting them off the hook. This is similar to the Catholic Church trying to save the mortal souls of Catholics by annulling their marriage -- thus preventing them from committing adultery (a sin punishable by hellfire). JWs who are near death and reveal to the elders they lived lifestyles incompatible with "the truth" before, during and after their baptism, are afforded the same mercy by the Governing Body that the Pope affords to Catholics who are in similar dire straights. For example, the Catholic Church might nullify a baptism if it will save a dying person from hellfire.

Derrick

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour.

-- William Blake (Auguries of Innocence)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit