WBTS NULLIFY ones baptisim

by bj 14 Replies latest jw friends

• bj
    bj

Have you ever heard that the WBTS in rare cases NULLIFY ones baptisim?

In France, a JW who was dying in his bed with AIDS, confessed to the Elders, his homosexual relations. The Elders not knowing what to do, contucted the Bethel of France. The answer came by phone: "bien que datant d’environ 10 ans le baptême de ce frère doit être annulé." (as the baptisim of this brother dates about 10 years, it should be nullify).

This case was told to me by the brother-in-law of the victim who was an Elder and served on this Judicial Committee.

Joe

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Why nullify it? Did the person dying ask it to be nullified? Doesn't make sense to me.

"I must stand up in search of the truth, if I don't I only roll with the flow of the lie and make it stronger.
    ---Sovereign---

• bj
    bj

No, he didn't ask it to be nullified. The reasoning of the WBTS was, he couldn't be a sincere JW when we was baptisied if he was a homosexual.(This man was married and had kids)

Joe

• muslima
    muslima

That is very interesting.

I actually tried to have that done after I disassociated myself. I was having an awful time with the shunning thing and I tried to get the WTBTS to nullify my baptism -- because I was just a kid and did it intentionally with the thought of pleasing my parents - nothing more nothing less.

Hence if my baptism was nullified - I would not be considered a real JW - hence the DA was redundant - and my status would just be that of a non-Witness (worldly) person. No shunning required.

I never heard back from my letter.

• BATHORY
    BATHORY

G'Day bj

I believe it can be done. If and only if, the " bad " practice was commited before ones baptism and then carried through and practised continuously after ones baptism, the baptism is regarded as being
    " falso ".

Example : one guy i know well was smoking fags ( not joelbear lights...i mean winni blues ) before he got dunked, and continued practicing this through and after, got busted with the durry.... then indicated to the bosses that he never had quit before dunking took place actually. They reasoned it as a no-dunker!! Maybe this french poofter brother had a similar circumstance, maybe he was a pillow bitter before and remained a fudge masher after which rendered him a no-dunker ?!

Methinks their logic may be sound and may even be scriptural.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Nullifying a baptism is done in very rare circumstances. I wish I had my CD ROM to provide the proof.

In theory, a baptism is considered null if it can be proved that the person being baptised did not understand what it entailed. I find this reasoning suspicious, as Witnesses as young as 5 years old have been baptised. Certainly, a five year old cannot understand what baptism entails. In fact, I doubt a teenager could understand what baptism entails, especially the impact of possible shunning.

I do not know what the purpose of invalidating baptism does. I can be its use in keeping a bigwig JW's child from being shunned, or to avoid bad publicity.

Richard

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

This is strange. In almost any other Christian religion when someone is on their death-bed they might get absolution for their confessed sins or might even be baptized. Only in the case of JWs will a dying person be stripped of their baptism.

Thirdson

• bj
    bj

Thirdson

Interesting point. This remind me in Constantine, didn't he got baptised before he died?

Joe

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

LOL@BATHORY

I believe it can be done. If and only if, the " bad " practice was commited before ones baptism and then carried through and practised continuously after ones baptism, the baptism is regarded as being
    " falso ".

Example : one guy i know well was smoking fags ( not joelbear lights...i mean winni blues ) before he got dunked, and continued practicing this through and after, got busted with the durry.... then indicated to the bosses that he never had quit before dunking took place actually. They reasoned it as a no-dunker!! Maybe this french poofter brother had a similar circumstance, maybe he was a pillow bitter before and remained a fudge masher after which rendered him a no-dunker ?!

Methinks their logic may be sound and may even be scriptural.

You are dead set amazing! ROTFL! unc.
  • montag
    montag

In the early 80's I witnessed the baptism of an 18 year old sister who, a few years later, would become my sister in law.

Unbeknown to everyone, she'd been having an affair with a married man in her congregation who, with four sons, was old enough to be her father.

She stood at the front of the Assembly Hall with all the other candidates and answered "yes" to the two questions.

She got baptised.

A couple of years later the truth came out (the wife, who'd always suspected, had managed to wring a confession from her husband.)

You'd think that all hell would break loose. Nope.
    Public reproval? Nope.
    Loss of privileges? Nope.

Just a quiet, private reproof and arrangements made for a second baptism at an upcoming assembly!!

Why?

Did the first baptism not count because she lied by saying 'yes'?
    Was she not reproved publicly because she was portrayed as the 'preyed on innocent'?
    I don't know.

Perhaps her father, the Presiding Overseer had something to do with it, who can say?

montag

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit