Fighting the Cult of the Watchtower Good or Bad? Does it Give Your Life Some Meaning?

by frankiespeakin 24 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Ever since I left this mind control cult I have continued to offer resistance in what ever ways I thought good at the time.

But I'm faced with the question: Is it good or bad idea? or How far should I go and to what lengths should I go in my efforts to fight this cult?

I think being a JW for 29 years has defined a large chunk of my life and to just try to forget about it may be a big mistake. I think it is much better for a person just to let things work out there natural course in time as it fades more and more into the past with each passing year.

I have been able to move on with my life, new friends, new understandings, and the like. Even though that is the case I think fighting the cult does offer a certain sense of meaning to my existence and if I carry out my fight to a moderate extent it is like therapy. I think it really all depends on our personality make up so that what may be good for one person may not be good for another.

I believe that fighting for a cause has its good side as well as bad depending on both the cause and how much you were effected by the thing you are fighting against. Reflection is good and reality checks from time to time cause a reevaluation goals and past accomplishments.

So what are your thoughts on this matter?

• Think About It
    Think About It

Resistance is futile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEJ4OJTgg8

Think About It

• leo999
    leo999

Hi frankie ,

I know exactly what you mean ! I have spent all my life 50 years , in the cult and just woken up recently and sometimes there is just so much anger , although i tell myself that this is a destructive emotion . I do have new freinds and hobbies now which have helped enomously . But I find myself trying to think of things to do to work against the Borg .What methods are you using and have they had any success ? As I still have family in , I am having to be subtle , so open to ideas if you care to share ...I think however that everyone that exits has to walk whatever path they feel is best to help them heal and move on , and that is a different thing for each person . Maybe had I spent only a few years in , I wouldnt feel so bad .
    leo999

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

This is something I think about every day.

We all fight our different ways. Some are more effective or better at it then others.

Not an easy question, and definitely a personal one to answer for each of us.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

I think fighting the cult does offer a certain sense of meaning to my existence and if I carry out my fight to a moderate extent it is like therapy.

I am glad that people have decided to come on here and continue to offer their insight even long after they left.

I look at it as a way to "Pay it Forward" - I appreciate that people have been willing to go the extra mile to expose the "TRUTH".

I know this site is therapy for me - its great to hear that you are not alone, that others have had similar experiences, and to have a place where you can vent on things that a non-JW might not quite relate to.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Good questions.

I think the answers are different for every individual.

If you enjoy 'fighting', then by all means continue. If something positive results from it, continue.

However, if it's essentially a loss, then move on.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Leo,

But I find myself trying to think of things to do to work against the Borg .
    What methods are you using and have they had any success ?
    As I still have family in , I am having to be subtle , so open to ideas if you care to share .

The extent of my fighting now has toned down considerably and the most I do now is just posting on JWN. I may in the future do more, YouTube, has some wonderful possibilities but it all depends how I feel. If you still have family in, I would say be smart weigh your options and don't fuck yourself in the process. But in the end You have to decide what works for you.

I think fighting the cult definitely has therapeutic value if done smartly and things go in your favor. Anonymously fighting is an option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mdGQVQj8o&feature=related

• dissed
    dissed

I feel like a freedom fighter on this site.

!3 years, we thought we were alone, until we discovered the Web and JWN. Knowing about this site and others like it, has helped us adjust more fully away from the WT.

More are leaving the WT than ever, and many need help, which we are qualified to do.

I will do my part as will many others. 26 years in saving others for the WT and GB. And now some time here to assist our wayward freinds, is not much time away from my schedule.

Its my pleasure now to do what I can.

I have no illusion that we can bring down the WT and its GB. But we can point the way for those that wake up and come to their senses.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Fighting is a survival instinct it gives boosts of endorphins, and adrenaline.

Adrenaline increases alertness, makes one stronger.

Endorphins give a person the ability to fight or flee even if the body has sustained an injury, it is a natural pain killer.

So these are the advantages the instinct gives, and so I think a moderate level of fighting of an enemy such as the WT can help in some ways and be very therapeutic, especially if your succeeding in some small measure enough to count in some way to yourself, provided it is done with intelligence and doesn't become all consuming and one takes time to enjoy life when ever he can. It can lift one out of depression and bring a measure of aliveness through a rather difficult time of adjustment even if nothing is even done, but just having that spirit for a time can be a great source of strength.

A fighting spirit if channeled right can lead better frame of mind more clarity and focus. I'm not talking about blind rage caused by pain which leads to lashing out at something like hitting a wall with your fits or running some one over, but a fighting spirit that moves one to alertness and aliveness.

• Gayle
    Gayle

There are many causes and abuses. The best spokesmen are those that have "been there, done that." We can be part of cult awareness education. We have the experience. I do just a little in helping people out and helped a few not to join the cult. I actually have very much a joy doing this and looking back to all those hours counted and pioneer hours counted and imposed on me, I truly had no joy, none by comparison.

One must move on and have many facets to their life. Helping with comments here and there and standing up to cults that destroy free minds and free lives can be a very fulfilling facet also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit