The Trinity, the biblical case, clear and simple.

by Chalam 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry
    I don't think this is true. Jews of the period, as Terry points out, were as diverse or even moreso than the modern-day sects of Christendom.

Pure non-sense. Show me ONE reputable scholar that would go along ANY Jewish diversity that would worship a half man half god figure.......MUCH LESS Jehovah in human form!

You guys are living in a pure historical fantasy.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello MS,

Many thanks for the encouragement :)

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

The Dead Sea Scrolls contain a vivid portrayal of a messianic figure. Interesting read to compare to John's gospel, even with its tampering.

• Perry
    Perry

Link Please? Hermit Essenes outcasts were that way for a reason.

Was this figure half man and half god in the Greek sense?

• designs
    designs

You can buy a study on the Scrolls or read them somewhere online.

I have several works done by scholars, see Scroll 11Q13.

Shalom aleichem

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Designs:

You mean this part:

Melchizedek in the Dead Sea Scroll 11Q13

11Q13 (11QMelch) is a fragment (that can be dated end II century or start I century BCE) of a text about Melchizedek found in Cave 11 at Qumran in the Palestinian West Bank and which comprises part of the Dead Sea Scrolls. In this eschatological text Melchizedek is seen as a divine being and Hebrew titles as Elohim are applied to him. According to this text Melchizedek will proclaim the "Day of Atonement" and he will atone for the people who are predestined to him. He also will judge the peoples. [ 1 ]

• designs
    designs

PS

Yes that's the one, interesting view.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Indeed,

The view of "God incarnate" is not a typical one of the messiah though.

If you think about it though, it makes sense that some sects would believe that since only God could save them and if a saviour came he must then be, by default, God.

• AwSnap
  • designs
    designs

There was certainly an extended period where different metaphysical hypotheses were able to be pondered and developed about Messianic figures. Monarchianism, with its Modalism wing and Adoptionism wing and Arius show some knowledge of the Essenes model. The Agency concept is clearly visible in the DSS. With some early Jewish writings God is positioned as near but by use of some-thing so that objects don't go poof from the exposure. Anthropomorphic ways of describing God have come into vogue at different times in human history, the low hanging fruit as a means to identify with the ultimate Reality. The Catholic Church has some interesting writings on the use of Father as metaphor and the use of his sex and sexlessness in Cathedral paintings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit