Unitarian Universalist Church, does anyone here have any experiences?

by cyberjesus 13 Replies latest jw friends

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I found a dvd about evolution and great ways to teach it to children, I discovered that is promoted at UUC, it seems that the group is oriented towards acceptance and not totalitarianism. Since I like to associate with others who think the same way I would like to know what do you think about them?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello CJ,

I think you can sum up their beliefs as all beliefs are valid, "anything goes". Universalist atheists, polytheists, deists, pantheists and the like all live in a common belief "utopia". That might look appealing at first but doesn't make the any sense at all, ask the hippies, they gave it a go in the 1960s

Blessings,

Stephen

• ziddina
    ziddina

CyberJesus, I haven't attended a service - yet - but I've heard good things about them from my Heathen/Pagan and Wiccan friends... If that gives you any indication... I've found that the phrase, "Monotheism is Religious Totalitarianism", to be most telling. It's my impression that the Universalist Unitarians would be the exact opposite of intolerant, totalitarian Monotheism religiosity...

Zid

• betterdaze
    betterdaze
    Principles

There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:

• Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
    • Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
    • Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
    • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
    • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
    • Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

These principles and sources of faith are the backbone of our religious community.

• restrangled
    restrangled

My MIL is Unitarian. I have attended services with her several times.

The Minister was a Lesbian, and gave a great opening "talk"....I don't know what other word to use,

The music was fantastic and everyone was extremely friendly.

The only trouble I found is they are open to any latest thing. At a certain time, they were hearing that Jesus's birth was because of a rape of Mary, which I found extremely objectionable. My MIL bought it big time.

Also in the 60's their entire church was into wife swapping....at which time my MIL left for a while.

Her own father, a devout Protestant called it a social club, and the old saying comes to mind: If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

It is very open, and it's a catch all for all those who feel the need to worship......who ever, what ever, or no one at all.

I would try it and see what you think.

r.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

I wanted to show both sides... so here is the raving militant Fundie opinion, too long to post it all.

~Sue

• chickpea
    chickpea

i have a really good friend who
    has been a UU for the 15 yrs i
    have known her...

there seems to be no central philosophy
    but they do have some sort of spiritual
    core they discuss....

when is the only time you hear
    "jesus christ" in a UU church?

when the carpenter hits his thumb
    with a hammer

• Balsam
    Balsam

I attended UU's for about 2 years, but had to drive about 20 miles one way so we eventually had to give up going and I found a Church closer to where I live but it wasn't a UU Church.

They are very liberal, and people from all walks of life attend UU, atheist, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans, anyone who craves spirituality but without all the put downs. I loved it and so wish there was one closer to where I live.

• huxley2.0
    huxley2.0

I've been to a few services, I agree that it was very open and welcoming.

If you need a rigid belief system and the thought of people in a community with a variety of spiritual paths translates to "anything goes", then it would not be the place for you.

Ultimately it wasn't the place for me. Too churchy.

HUxley

• Open mind
    Open mind

If I was going to attend a church, UU would be at the top of my list. Primarily for social reasons.

One of these days we might attend a service if the lecture sounds particularly appealing.

I'd also like to attend Glide Memorial Church in San Francisco at least once. The atmosphere sounds pretty good. I could never attend there on a regular basis though given my agnostic/atheist world view.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit