Watchtower Bible and Tract Society will move their world headquarters to Warwick -- Patterson Part Deux

by oppostate 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oppostate
    oppostate

Watchtower will move world headquarters to Warwick

Warwick - If all goes according to plan, Jehovah’s Witnesses will relocate their world headquarters from Brooklyn to Warwick.

At its regular meeting on Nov. 19, the Warwick Town Board announced the plans by the religious group.

The visual impact of the religious denomination’s plans to refurbish the former International Nickel Company property off Long Meadow Road stand as the primary concern residents want addressed in any environmental impact statement.

The plans for the new headquarters that are before the town’s Planning Board call for almost 90 percent of the 257 acre site to remain in its natural condition. The site consists of approximately 195 acres of forest, 37 acres of wetlands and Blue Lake, and almost 14 acres of roads, buildings and landscaping.

The plans include specifications to meet the Green Building Initiative’s three “Green Globes” standard, a building rating system used in the U.S. and Canada. The proposed Watchtower redevelopment site has been vacant since the mid 1990’s. Two other tax-exempt entities - Kings College and later Touro College - each abandoned plans to redevelop the site.

Supervisor Michael Sweeton said attorneys for Jehovah’s Witnesses invited him to tour its other New York campuses in Patterson and Shawangunk to demonstrate “what they do, what their campuses look like and how they fit into the community.”

The project has received a positive declaration under the State Environmental Quality Review, meaning the town is required to “identify and mitigate the significant environmental impacts” before approving the plans. Sweeton said the proposed campus seems like a good fit for the site and he is “pleased so little land would be disturbed.” The site sits in the Tuxedo School District, which had concerns about children on the campus; however, Sweeton said according to the religious order it only permits members without children to work and live on campus. Members with children would have to leave the site and settle in the community where their children would attend school.

If the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society proposal goes through, it will have a minimal carbon footprint, says Sweeton, and “use all kinds of recycled materials with a vast amount of open space to remain.”

He also said members visiting the campus will stay in bed and breakfasts and hotels, eat in restaurants and shop, bringing tourism dollars with them.

• TardNFeatheredJW
    TardNFeatheredJW

He also said members visiting the campus will stay in bed and breakfasts and hotels, eat in restaurants and shop, bringing tourism dollars with them.

Bwahahaahaha! That's funny. I hope they accept WT literature as currency. Or teach waitresses to feed their children literature.

I feel bad for the people of Warwick. Such a pleasant little town, to be overrun by these folks is truly sad.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

A tax exempt WT corporation will mean little in the way of benefit to Warwick. They really need to take that into consideration.

• besty
    besty

they'll probably offer the town a new fire engine :-)

anytime I've experienced a big corporation moving from a prime location to the 'burbs staff morale suffers badly - the attraction of living and working in Brooklyn is not to be under-estimated......it takes a while for natural wastage of staff to build a new team that actually signed up to work in the new location....

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, they give fire engines away to make deals. I remember that.

• oppostate
    oppostate

The plan to move out of Brooklyn is a reaction to 911.
    Do you agree? What else could motivate their move to the burbs?

invited him to tour its other New York campuses in Patterson and Shawangunk

Patterson I know. But where in the world is Shawangunk, is that Wallkill?
  • Think About It
    Think About It

The 9/11 event is what I thought of when I recently heard the news that the WTS was making plans to leave NYC.

I think it makes a great idea from a secular business standpoint, but doesn't that show a lack of faith in Jehovah to protect his "channel on earth"?

Could you imagine the impact on JW's faith if another 9/11 event hit NYC and severely impacted the WTS?

If the WTS was Jehovah's "channel on earth" and we were so deep into the end.....I would think he would keep them safe, therefore no need to waste all that money building and moving to a new worldwide HQ.

Think About It

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I really think the GB might not feel so secure at Brooklyn because they might be worried over all the stuff on the Internet exposing them and some very angry DF'd person losing it and going postal on their sorry asses. This will give them limited public contact and more security as the number of angry people multiplies in the future.

I think things like the child molester issue and the protesters gathering at Brooklyn 2001, over this issue has had something to do with it to. They are sitting ducks open to more bad publicity in the Big Apple, escape to the semi country offers more of a shield.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ uses Donated Money..

To buy Fire Engines,to Make Deals..

?????????????????????????????????

"Here..

Have a Fire Engine..

You`ll need it at Armageddon"..

Picture of Fire Engine - Free Pictures - FreeFoto.com

........................... ...OUTLAW

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking for a future read... Gotta go buy dog food...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit