Deleted Elders?

by Farkel 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

In general, the deletion notices are supposed to be related only to the matter of one's not continuing as an elder, regardless of the reason. Therefore, they are indeed worded the same whether the removal is for cause or at the person's request. I recall cases in which a person was publicly reproved, or even disfellowshipped and then a few weeks later, anannouncement is made that they have been deleted from their position. The rationale seemed to be that the local elders make the decision about the judicial action, but that elders and MS's can be appointed or removed only by the GB. That was the case when I was publicly reproved in 1973 - my deletion as a ministerial servant was announced several weeks after the reproof. Several people came up to congratulate me, thinking that the announcement meant that the restrictions associated with my reproof had now been lifted. At the time, appointments and deletions were handled only at the time of the Circuit Overseer's visit, so it could even be months after a judicial action that the deletion was announced.

In a different case, though, I remember a brother who stepped down from his position as elder - a good friend of mine, who was much beloved as an elder because of his sincere concern for the flock (a rare elder indeed). When the deletion was announced, the elders added a statement that brother XXX had asked to be removed because of family obligations and that the congregation was very grateful for his faithful service. I thought that was the way it should be done all the time, but it was the only time I ever saw anything like that.

• leec
    leec

Maybe the reason they hate Facebook is that they actually wanted to use the term "unfriended" but it was already taken .....

• sir82
    sir82

Yep that's how they do it.

In my experience though, there was a method they used to indicate how serious the "deletion" was.

If they invited the "deleted" elder to give the closing prayer at the end of the meeting, that was a signal to the congregation that "yeah, he's not an elder any more, but he's still a decent chap".

If the guy didn't even get invited to give the closing prayer, you knew it was for some serious infraction, and the informal shunning would commence.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i remember a young woman
    being "deleted" as a pioneer
    after slaving for 8 years...
    started righ out of high school
    lived at home and did scut work

at 25 she was going to marry
    a 19 YO bro, baptized just over
    a year and they told her if she
    pursued that course she would
    be deleted....

she did
    they did...
    "sister beth XXXXXXX
    has been deleted as a
    pioneer" .. her elderly mother
    cried like she had been DF'd

and now they have a couple
    married 16 years and neither
    one will aux pio and he won't
    "reach out" for privilege....

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

If they invited the "deleted" elder to give the closing prayer at the end of the meeting, that was a signal to the congregation that "yeah, he's not an elder any more, but he's still a decent chap".

That's the practice I've seen as well. My take was always that if someone decided that he either didn't want to be an elder or maybe couldn't for whatever reason, he should be allowed to step aside with some dignity. The offical WTS position doesn't allow the BOE or congregation collectively to thank them for their service but its basic common courtesy to do so. So this is a way to send a signal to the congregation that the person stepped down on his own.

Crazy and similar to the mob. You can't just quit (that's what my old COBOE/PO said to me when I resigned)

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

The correct announcement is "Br <> is no longer serving as an elder".

The use of "deleted" is self serving for those self righteous elders who have a point to make.

When a brother stepped aside for personal, family or health reasons I made sure as an elder and COBE that the congregation were "aware" by perhaps inviting the brother to close with prayer or asking the br who closed with prayer to mention the brothers years of faithful service and example.

• dozy
    dozy

I had to make a couple of similar announcements when elders were removed / came off. On one occasion I asked the brother beforehand if he would give the final prayer but he felt that he would be too emotional to do so (he was removed for conduct bordering on but not classified as "loose conduct" so he was still able to give prayers / run a mike etc.) I did say that it would be best if he would answer during my subsequent service meeting Q & A item & I would look for his hand to make sure that he would be taken as I wanted to make it clear that he wasn't "in serious trouble" and under restrictions.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

If they invited the "deleted" elder to give the closing prayer at the end of the meeting, that was a signal to the congregation that "yeah, he's not an elder any more, but he's still a decent chap"

This is SO true....and is a huge indicator.

When I was "deleted" after I resigned, I was asked to do the prayer, which I did. (it was emotional for me, I was LEAPING for joy inside)

but i know of others who were deleted against their wishes and they werent used for anything for a while, so they could eat a nice slice of "Humble Pie"

• tinker
    tinker

When my husband resigned as an elder the announcment read, Bro XX has been deleted as an elder, turn to song #.

He had given an outside speaking assignment and one elder from the cong did not like the way our 12yr son's hair was cut so he requested my husband not give talks at their hall anymore. Our BOE decided to take away his 'privilege' of outside speaking all together but he could still give talks at our hall. Of course my husband was infuriated that these idiot bros did not stand up for him and in effect treated him like a child needing disipline. Arguments incurred and he put in a letter of resignation but they would not accept it. More meetings were called, CO called, DO called, NY called, all said he could not resign, the BOE had to 'remove' him. They did not want to remove him because they were a bunch of lazy ass's and he was the only decent speaker and MSO. They begged him to stay, bribed him with 'lighter duties' He didn't care how or what was said, just wanted out.

After the announcment he was asked to give the prayer but declined. We made sure everyone in the hall was aware of the issue and that he had done nothing wrong. We had a group of supporters that we did not even want, so unchristian to take sides. The true colors of the entire WTBS became clear. They do not care for the sheep, the dignity of a bro is their least concern.

• nugget
    nugget

The wording is to discourage someone stepping down. The implication of the announcement is that the person has been removed for negative reasons. This means that others in the congregation will feel uncertain about the spirituality of the brother concerned.

I know with my husband that the wording was significant to him, even though he no longer believed he could in good conscience serve on the body it was the thought of the snide announcement that caused some concern. Now he probably couldn't care less, it showed the level of control.

What you have to rememeber with the society, every formal announcement is significant and part of the overall method for group control. They make you jump through hoops to get appointed and then they make it very hard to walk away. Big respect to all those valiant ment who have put principles ahead of the cult and walked away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit