abraham , a question for those who still believe in god

by looloo 44 Replies latest jw friends

• looloo
    looloo

why did god ask him to kill his own child ? my ex dub hubby is put of god by that story alone ,and my 21 year old daughter thinks it was very cruel of god to play mind games with abrahams head if its true ,why would a loving god do such a thing and what was the reason ? i still believe in god myself but can not give an explanation for that one at all .

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hello Looloo,

The above question has been discussed before on this forum. I tried to find a link to the conversation and have failed. I do not have much time but will attempt to answer as best as I can.

Yes, if you interpret the scripture literally, it can be quite disconcerting; however, if you do not interpret the scripture literally it begins to take on a different meaning.

I am Jewish. Would you be surprised if I told you that roughly 93% of us do not literally interpret the story of God asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? Most Jews do not interpret scripture literally at all.

You have to remember the Jewish religion has been around for almost 6,000 years. There have been many changes to the religion during that almost 6000 years. It is very possible that at one time, Jews/Hebrews/Semites sacrificed their children as a religious ritual (as did many other religions).

Well, how do you get people to stop engaging in that sort of barbarous activity? One of the ways could have been to tell them God refused the child sacrifice of Abraham, our patriarch. And if God didn't want human sacrifice from the BIG KAHOONA and our patriarch, Abraham, would he want it from the rest of the Jews?

I really wish I had more time to discuss this but my boyfriend is due a hot email or two before I have to get ready for work. I hope you understand....

Anyway, if I could give you just one suggestion before I go: Please do not try to interpret Jewish scripture literally. It was not meant to be read in such a manner. Try to read it and ponder it in your heart in a way that is not so black and white, try also to remember the time in history and the society in which the religon began. And if you ever have questions, please feel free to pm me, I will do the best I can to help you see it from our viewpoint.

Shalom Aleichem and a belated welcome to the forum.

Robyn

• looloo
    looloo

thankyou robyn , i will try to explain that to them x if you are jewish though how come you ended up on here ?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I think this story highlights the theme of man's interaction with nature and with carving out a place for himself. Abraham seems to be faced with tough choices. He is quite a pivotal figure and it is quite interesting to see how many different aspects of culture he confronts. I wonder if he is a composite figure?

• Robdar
    Robdar
    I think this story highlights the theme of man's interaction with nature and with carving out a place for himself. Abraham seems to be faced with tough choices. He is quite a pivotal figure and it is quite interesting to see how many different aspects of culture he confronts. I wonder if he is a composite figure?

Quietlyleaving, I really like your take on the matter. I think it could be possible.

• snowbird
    snowbird

God didn't ask of Abraham anything more than He was willing to do Himself.

I really respect that.

Gethsemane

Mark 14:32 -34 They came to an area called Gethsemane. Jesus told his disciples, "Sit here while I pray." He took Peter, James, and John with him. He plunged into a sinkhole of dreadful agony. He told them, "I feel bad enough right now to die. Stay here and keep vigil with me."

35 -36 Going a little ahead, he fell to the ground and prayed for a way out: "Papa, Father, you can—can't you?—get me out of this. Take this cup away from me. But please, not what I want—what do you want?" MSG

Isaac experienced an 11th hour stay of execution - our Lord and Savior didn't.

Sylvia

• Robdar
    Robdar
    if you are jewish though how come you ended up on here ?

Although I have always related to the Jews, I was born into a family that converted to JW when I was about 3. I left between 18 and 19 and started seeking my own path. After much searching and seeking, I was drawn to Judaism--it activated my heart and its ritual inspired me. I took 9 months of Hebrew school and took my mikvah last May. Judaism is a rich and often misunderstood religion. Thank you for your inquiry.

Robyn

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If Abraham had any cajones, he would have said "NO WAY GOD! I won't do it." Abraham is inconsistent, bargaining with God about whether he would destroy a city that had 50 or 20 righteous people in it, standing up to God in one story but going along without question in another story.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Sylvia, I like your Christian interpretation. I am happy it works for you.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, Rob.

The Book of Jasher relates that Abraham suffered terribly over this order.

He had to resort to trickery in order to get Isaac to go with him, and he didn't tell Sarah anything about it!

Let no one think that keeping the faith is easy!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit