JWs and piracy (digital kind)

by teel 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• teel
    teel

I'd like to hear of other people's experience regarding the JWs inclination to pirating software, music, films.

This of course is relative to your country. Because I live in a relatively poor country, the rate of piracy is extremely high, individuals practically never buy software, music and films are bought now and then. This of course is against the law here too.

So what do JWs do? Pirate their ass off. There's absolutely no difference whatsoever between them and those evil worldlies. Because of my knowledge in the IT field I was asked by several people in the congregation, including elders, the PO, and the CO too to help them out with their PC. None of them had one single licensed software on their personal machine.

Because I'm a software developer I understand if everyone was pirating I would be out of job, so I buy most of the software I need, or find free alternatives. In a casual talk with a JW I mentioned I bought Windows Vista, and he looked at me with big eyes: "I never met anyone who bought Windows for his home PC!" (and no, that's not because JWs use Linux...)

The funny thing is the Society doesn't care. There was a QFR about software piracy in the w01 2/15. Guess what? In the version published here, that QFR was missing! It was replaced with some generic article. The Society knows JWs are breaking the law, and doesn't care.

The JWs know they're breaking the law, and what do they do? Rationalize... They usually say "well, those prices are not for us anyway, we have low income..." or "the price of software is actually included in the price of hardware and/or CDs". The law is for suckers. Now the thing is many of these people who complain about the price, have super computers of the last generation, spend hundreds of dollars each year to keep up with the most modern IT equipment. Not to mention there are many free alternatives too...

• alanv
    alanv

At the risk of sounding pompous I would say however poor you are JWs should not be piroting software. They have set themselves up as having higher standards than everyone else and what they are in fact doing is stealing.

In UK that is what it is called, and I'm sorry but if they can afford computers then they should be paying for the sofftware that goes with it.

The bible very clearly says that you should practice what you preach and that you can be disfellowshipped for stealing.

Very interesting about the different QFR article. I'm sure you are right the society do not want to make an issue of it.

Incidently teel I would be interested to know where you come from. Thanks for posting.

• teel
    teel

Indeed Alan, that's what bothers me too. I can relate to them as persons, let's say a retail copy of Windows would cost some of them about a month's salary. It's ok... but by their "high morals" one can't even steal bread if he's hungry (for ex. w98 1/15 para 17). Software is not necessary for living - except if you're working in the field, but then it's investment, if you can't afford it look for some other job - so by the previous argument they can by no means justify the stealing.

I've met "worldly" people who say "yes, piracy is kind of stealing, but what can I do? I can't afford it, and I'm not really damaging anyone, I wouldn't buy it anyway". You have to respect that, if you steal at least accept that it's stealing, and don't act like you have 'oh so superior morales'. I live in Romania btw, and things started to get a bit better (before the global recession), meaning I actually saw individuals on the internet advocating against piracy. I can find much more software in the stores now, than say 10 years ago, but I still have to import the majority from the UK, mostly because of the price (it's a vicious circle really, because of high piracy the software is about 30-100% more expensive here than in UK). Still no change in JW land though... in this case the worldlies catch on the morality sooner.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

My old congregation had a local needs part on software/music piracy and the elder came right out and called it stealing. I think he went too far, though, when he said that making a mixtape/CD and giving it away was also stealing.

But I know many JWs who do a share of piracy.

Just FYI to everyone, you're better off with OpenOffice than with a stolen pirated version of MS Office. A lot of the open source stuff is quite good.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is what the Watchtower actually said in that QFR...15/02 2001

"How

should true Christians view the common practice of individuals’ giving to others copies of commercial software programs for computers?

Some might mistakenly try to excuse this practice by referring to Jesus’ words: “You received free, give free.” Of course, Jesus was not referring to giving away free copies of copyrighted literature or computer programs (software), the use of which material is regulated by law. He meant giving as part of the ministry. Jesus told the apostles going off to various cities and villages that they were to preach the Kingdom, cure the sick, and expel demons. Rather than charge for this, the apostles were to “give free.”—Matthew 10:7, 8.

With the soaring number of personal and business computers, many people have needed software. This usually has to be purchased. Granted, some individuals write programs that they make available free of charge and that they state can be copied and given to yet others. But most computer software is sold commercially. Whether for their personal use at home or for business use, software users are expected to buy it, to pay for it. If someone took or copied a software package without paying, that would be illegal, as would the wholesale photocopying of books, even when giving such away free.

Most computer programs (including games) are covered by a license, the owner/user being required to comply with its specific provisions and limitations. Many such licenses state that only one person may install and use the program—usually installing it on only one computer, whether a home computer or one in a business or school. Some licenses say that the user may have a backup copy for himself, but he is not to make copies for other people. If the owner wants to give away the entire program (including license and documentation), he may do so. However, he thus ends his own right to use it. Licenses vary, so a person buying a program or being offered one should find out what that particular license stipulates.

Many nations are party to copyright agreements that protect “intellectual property,” such as computer programs, and they try to enforce copyright laws. For instance, The New York Times of January 14, 2000, reported that “German and Danish police officers arrested members of what they described as a major software-piracy gang” that was duplicating and distributing computer programs and games, even selling some over the Internet.

Where does the Christian congregation stand on this? Well, Jesus said: “Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God.” (Mark 12:17) That calls for Christians to obey laws of the land that do not conflict with God’s law. Regarding governments, the apostle Paul wrote: “Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities . . . He who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will receive judgment to themselves.”—Romans 13:1, 2.

Elders in the Christian congregation are not responsible for checking others’ computers, as if authorized to interpret and enforce copyright laws. But they believe and teach that Christians should avoid taking what does not belong to them and should strive to be law-abiding. This protects Christians from being punished as lawbreakers, and it enables them to have a good conscience before God. Paul wrote: “There is therefore compelling reason for you people to be in subjection, not only on account of that wrath but also on account of your conscience.” (Romans 13:5) Similarly, Paul expressed the desire of true Christians with the words: “We trust we have an honest conscience, as we wish to conduct ourselves honestly in all things.”

There was a P S , after discussing licence agreements they added

. Related to this, Christians should avoid putting onto, or downloading from, electronic bulletin boards material that is copyrighted (as are the Society’s publications) and that is being copied without legal permission from the owners.”

• dissed
    dissed

There is inexspensive legal imitations that can still get the job done. From a 'we are God's people', with the superior attitude of we are better, then stealing software, shows a very hypocritical stance on the JW's.

Of course as we know, they justify lying for the cause. then why not copyright theft and use.

I found it very interesting that the GB avoided the QFR point for the Romanians. It shows at least the GB knows they are doing it. The WT has said in the past this is done, different articles to adjust to cultures, but adjusting to the culture of copyright infringement?

PS. I feel for the poor who don't have the money to really come into the modern tech. age yet. I know in my business of broadcasting, many broadcasters are temporarily looking the other way until countries get better control and more money. An example would be China and the USA 's NBA. Its signals are pirated openly all over China and the NBA has only tokened complained. The thought being, they want to build a following for their sport, then hit the Chinese later.

Could it be the same for 3rd world economy countries for some of the software people?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I've seen no evidence indicating that piracy among JWs is any higher than the rate among the general public.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I also see no evidence that it is any lower either.

• inkling
    inkling
    My old congregation had a local needs part on software/music piracy and the elder came right out and called it stealing. I think he went too far, though, when he said that making a mixtape/CD and giving it away was also stealing.

Not to start a fight... (well, maybe a little)

I don't see how these things are intrinsically different. I think current laws DO in fact criminalize mix tapes exactly the same as pirated albums, and that is part of the absurdity of the stoneage mindset of record companies.

The reason they didn't care about this in the 80's was because it was pain in the ass to make copies, and the quality was low. People today are doing the exact same thing as making a Tears For Fears mix tape for your girlfriend, and giving a friend (or hell, even MAKING*) a taped-from-tv VHS of last nights episode of Knight Rider... now people are just better at it, thanks to technology.

[inkling]

*VHS collection of every televised episode of Star Trek with the ads removed? meh. Your friends MOM did this. Downloading those same episodes via torrent? EVIL no-good teenage pirate! See the absurdity? The sins or OUR generation are forgivable, the sins of the next are evil.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Just FYI to everyone, you're better off with OpenOffice than with a stolen pirated version of MS Office. A lot of the open source stuff is quite good.

I have been using Open Office for about 2 or 3 years, and I have no complaints. It's a great program that allows my to save my work in MS Office formats.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit