ONE! NO EQUAL!

by wannabe 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wannabe
    wannabe

Following along the other day, with a conversation taking place on one of the Christian Boards, between two individuals fighting it out over the Trinity Doctrine, and wondering about that teaching myself, I noted that one individual made a few interesting points, I felt well-worth noting, so I followed that conversation to its finish, of which, neither side had convinced the other of anything too much, still, for me it was an interesting conversation none-the-less.

On the one side, the one against that teaching focused on some scriptures in Isaiah, that I felt really supported his view. He directed attention to, statements such as: "There is no other God; I am the only God!" That seemed to weigh heavily on his side. It got even better than that though, because he next, came out with: "No other God besides me." I am the only good God!" Now he really had my attention, and this other party was becoming quite miffed at the whole thing. This other party seemed to have done his home work because he wasn't finished yet. Next, I heard: "There is no one like me." "There is no other rock- not one." Now, he really seemed to be on the winning side, and he really had my attention! He still wasn't finished! He was bound and determined to really clear the matter up; which I was quite pleased with, because I had wanted to understand that teaching if I could. So, I paid even closer attention to this debate, which I'm happy to say, I did, because the other fellow really made a killer point, in his next statement. One that very few would probably ever notice unless someone pointed them to it. That was the following:

5 "And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began." {John 17:5 NIV}

He drew this other fellows attention to the fact that Jesus, was with his Father, while King Solomon prayed the following prayer to Jehovah. With him when Jehovah made all of those statements about himself being one God! None like him! No other Rock! Not One! None to compare! No equal!

After he had driven that point home, he directed attention to Solomons Prayer to Jehovah, where Solomon had said the following to Jehovah:

14 "and he said, O Jehovah, the God of Israel, there is no God like thee, in heaven, or on earth; who keepest covenant and lovingkindness with thy servants, that walk before thee with all their heart;" {2 Chronicles 6: 14 ASV} Now, I was really beginning to understand what this fellow was driving at, as you will now. He pointed out to this other fellow, the fact, that if Jesus was with his Father when Isaiah penned all of those words, in Isaiah, and Solomon could say, there is 'no God in heaven... like you,' then end of argument, Jesus could not have been God while on this earth. I must say I was very impressed with the home-work this fellow had obviously done, because he had it all figured out quite nicely, I thought. But he still wasn't finished, to my surprise, and I'd thought he was, with his last comment. Which I felt cemented his argument, pretty firmly, and needed no more support. Obviously he didn't think so. He continued on, with this next statement, which I thought really tied the knot:

24 "For Christ did not enter a man-made sanctuary that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God's presence." {Hebrews 9:24 NIV}

With this he asked the other party: "Does God appear in God's presence for us? No reply! Even a very silly notion, isn't it?

With that, I felt the discussion was all over, but not so; another surprise was in store, as I learned, when he directed attention to the words of Jesus at John 7:16 where Jesus had stated: "What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me." He followed up with John 15:15 where Jesus was found to be saying, in part: ... "all the things I have heard from my Father, I have made known to you." Well! I thought! That really did it! that will slow this other fellow down somewhat! I thought! I was wrong again, he came back with John 1:1 and to him that was the end of the discussion, and to me, it looked like it was, because I saw no way to counter that scripture, that said quite clearly: "In the beginning the word was, and the word was with God, and the word was God."

This other fellow came back at him, and told him he was reading that scripture out of context, where if he had of read it in context, he would see, his reasoning was flawed. He then pointed to verse 18 where it says: "No man has seen God at any time; the only begotten god who is in the bosom position with the Father is the one that has explained him." Then he told this other fellow, 'all the first Century Christian's saw the Christ, and said; that being true, Jesus could not have been God, because they had walked and talked with Jesus; so how could he have been God, that being the case? He then directed attention to John 5:37 just to bolster his argument, which I felt did a beautiful job of doing that, for there it read: "Also the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. You have neither heard his voice at anytime, nor seen his figure." Then he added: They all heard the voice of Jesus! They saw his figure; so how could he have been God, whom they had not seen, or heard, he countered.

Before I left off following along with these two, the one on the opposing side, added one last comment, where he had pointed to John 1:14 where these words are read: "So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only begotten Son from a Father; and he was full of undeserved kindness and truth." He then directed attention, to the fact, that it says the only begotten Son was the Word, whose glory was beheld, and that it was this word, this Only begotten Son, that became flesh, not God!

That reasoning pretty well shook the teacher of the Trinity Doctrine I feel certain. He'd been whipped at every turn of the page, by the one with the opposing view, and I do believe he knew it! Just wouldn't admit to it that's all!

5 "I am the Lord. There is no other God;
    I am the only God.
    I will make you strong,
    even though you don't know me," ... {Isaiah 45:5 NCV}

21 "Tell these people to come to me.
    Let them talk about these things together.
    Who told you long ago that this would happen?
    Who told about it long ago?
    I, the Lord, said these things.
    There is no other God besides me.
    I am the only good God. I am the Savior.
    Thereis no other God.22 "All people everywhere,
    follow me and be saved. I am God. There is no other God." {Isaiah 45:21,22 NCV }

9" Remember what happened long ago.
    Remember that I am God, and there is no other God.
    I am God, and there is no one like me." {Isaiah 46:9 NCV}

18 "The Lord created the heavens.
    He is the God who formed the earth and made it.
    He did not want it to be empty,
    but he wanted life on the earth.
    This is what the Lord says:
    "I am the Lord. There is no other God." {Isaiah 45:18 NCV}

6 "This is what the Lord says—Israel’s King and Redeemer, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies: "I am the First and the Last;
    there is no other God.7 Who is like me?
    Let him step forward and prove to you his power.
    Let him do as I have done since ancient times
    when I established a people and explained its future.
    8 Do not tremble; do not be afraid.
    Did I not proclaim my purposes for you long ago?
    You are my witnesses—is there any other God?
    No! There is no other Rock—not one!"
    {Isaiah 44:6-8 NLT}

25 "To whom will you compare me?
    Who is my equal?" asks the Holy One." {Isaiah 40:25 NLT}

8"Do not be startled or afraid.
    Have I not told you and declared it long ago?
    You are my witnesses!
    Is there any God but Me?
    There is no [other] Rock; I do not know any." {Isaiah 44:8 HCSB}

I'm thinking these Trinitarions had best have a sit down and explain to Jehovah what he is not aware of about himself, because he's of the mistaken view, that he's only one single God, with no equal, and he says. he knows of no other. While these Trinitarians teach he is three God's in One God. I do believe he would deeply appreciate knowing something about himself that he's not even aware of himself. Wouldn't it be a kindness to inform him of that? Brother! I wouldn't wish to be standing beside you while your doing that, I'm here to tell you! Wannabe

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hi Wannabe. Interesting post. Interesting arguments. Most of the arguments attempt to refute a straw man however, not the authentic trinity doctrine. The authentic trinity teaching does not describe three Gods, but one God, that exists in the form of three Persons.

From the ancient Athanasian Creed:

...That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; Neither confounding the Persons; nor dividing the Essence. For there is one Person of the Father; another of the Son; and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, is all one; the Glory equal, the Majesty coeternal. Such as the Father is; such is the Son; and such is the Holy Ghost. The Father uncreated; the Son uncreated; and the Holy Ghost uncreated. The Father unlimited; the Son unlimited; and the Holy Ghost unlimited. The Father eternal; the Son eternal; and the Holy Ghost eternal. And yet they are not three eternals; but one eternal. As also there are not three uncreated; nor three infinites, but one uncreated; and one infinite. So likewise the Father is Almighty; the Son Almighty; and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not three Almighties; but one Almighty. So the Father is God; the Son is God; and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet they are not three Gods; but one God. So likewise the Father is Lord; the Son Lord; and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not three Lords; but one Lord. For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity; to acknowledge every Person by himself to be God and Lord; So are we forbidden by the Catholic Religion; to say, There are three Gods, or three Lords. The Father is made of none; neither created, nor begotten. The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created; but begotten. The Holy Ghost is of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten; but proceeding. So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one Holy Ghost, not three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is before, or after another; none is greater, or less than another. But the whole three Persons are coeternal, and coequal. So that in all things, as aforesaid; the Unity in Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity...

I like the way C.S. Lewis explains it in his book Mere Christianity:

You know that in space you can move in three ways-to left or right, backwards or forwards, up or down. Every direction is either one of these three or a compromise between them. They are called the three Dimensions. Now notice this. If you are using only one dimension, you could draw only a straight line. If you are using two, you could draw a figure: say, a square. And a square is made up of four straight lines. Now a step further. If you have three dimensions, you can then build what we call a solid body, say, a cube-a thing like a dice or a lump of sugar. And a cube is made up of six squares. Do you see the point? A world of one dimension would be a straight line. In a two-dimensional world, you still get straight lines, but many lines make one figure. In a three-dimensional world, you still get figures but many figures make one solid body. In other words, as you advance to more real and more complicated levels, you do not leave behind you the things you found on the simpler levels: you still have them, but combined in new ways-in ways you could not imagine if you knew only the simpler levels. Now the Christian account of God involves just the same principle. The human level is a simple and rather empty level. On the human level one person is one being, and any two persons are two separate beings-just as, in two dimensions (say on a flat sheet of paper) one square is one figure, and any two squares are two separate figures. On the Divine level you still find personalities; but up there you find them combined in new ways which we, who do not live on that level, cannot imagine. In God's dimension, so to speak, you find a being who is three Persons while remaining one Being, just as a cube is six squares while remaining one cube. Of course we cannot fully conceive a Being like that: just as, if we were so made that we perceived only two dimensions in space we could never properly imagine a cube. But we can get a sort of faint notion of it. And when we do, we are then, for the first time in our lives, getting some positive idea, however faint, of something super-personal-something more than a person. It is something we could never have guessed, and yet, once we have been told, one almost feels one ought to have been able to guess it because it fits in so well with all the things we know already.

I'd like to add that the goal for a Christian is to be drawn into that divine life.

It is to be to be in perfect union with God, yet at the same time, retain one's own personality, to remain a distinct person.

BTS

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    I'm thinking these Trinitarions had best have a sit down and explain to Jehovah what he is not aware of about himself, because he's of the mistaken view, that he's only one single God, with no equal, and he says. he knows of no other. While these Trinitarians teach he is three God's in One God.

False. Go to:http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-2.html#11

I'll quote it here.

Christian Trinitarians are monotheistic and do not worship three Gods as the Jehovah’s Witnesses claim.

The Jehovah's Witnesses continue to imply that Trinitarian Christians worship three Gods, not one; that they are tritheistic, not monotheistic. The Jehovah's Witnesses draw parallels between the Trinity doctrine and triadic pagan worship which they claim is the ultimate source of the Christian Trinity, influenced by Babylonian gods who were worshipped in threes, the Egyptian three-fold gods of Osiris, Isis and Horus, Italian triune godheads, the Trinitarian Hindu group of Brahama, Sira and Visnu, and on and on (Should You Believe, Chapter 5).

But this is false and unfair. The Christian faith is completely monotheistic, and worship is directed to the only one true God Almighty who happens to have a threefold nature: “We do not confess three Gods, but one God in three persons, the “consubstantial Trinity,” (Catholic Catechism, 75). “[T]he Godhead of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is one, their glory equal, their majesty coeternal.” Athanasian Creed; DS 75; ND16)” (ibid., 79).

Tritheism, the worship of three Gods at the expense of the unity of God is yet another pitfall which the Trinity doctrine specifically seeks to avoid (Oxford, 1211). And simply because the Jehovah's Witnesses are unable to grasp the meaning of “hypostases” or “Persons” does not entitle them to ascribe to Christians beliefs they do not hold.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

When I exited WT and began my research, I discovered that I didn't even know what the doctrine really was.

I would suggest reseaching WHAT the Trinity doctrine is all about, as taught by mainstream Christianity. Rid yourself of the false/strawman definition of the doctrine, as put forth by Watchtower. Their Trinity brochure completely misrepresents/distorts the Trinity doctrine, arguing against a strawman.

The following audio presentation does a good job of explaining WHAT the Trinity is, with a JW audience in mind. The speaker is lively and never boring. (You'll need either RealPlayer or Media Player Classic to play these audio files)

http://www.waltermartin.com/audio_clips/trinity.ram (Part I)

http://www.waltermartin.com/audio_clips/trinity2.ram (Part II)

No matter what your personal beliefs are, once you listen to this audio recording, you'll be able to discuss the dotrine in an informed manner.

-LWT

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

More Lewis from the same book, sorry, but I love his work:

You may ask, "If we cannot imagine a three-personal Being, what is the good of talking about Him?" Well, there isn't any good talking about Him. The thing that matters is being actually drawn into that three-personal life, and that may begin any time -tonight, if you like. What I mean is this. An ordinary simple Christian kneels down to say his prayers. He is trying to get into touch with God. But if he is a Christian he knows that what is prompting him to pray is also God: God, so to speak, inside him. But he also knows that all his real knowledge of God comes through Christ, the Man who was God-that Christ is standing beside him, helping him to pray, praying for him. You see what is happening. God is the thing to which he is praying-the goal he is trying to reach. God is also the thing inside him which is pushing him on-the motive power. God is also the road or bridge along which he is being pushed to that goal. So that the whole threefold life of the three-personal Being is actually going on in that ordinary little bedroom where an ordinary man is saying his prayers. The man is being caught up into the higher kind of life-what I called Zoe or spiritual life: he is being pulled into God, by God, while still remaining himself.

BTS

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

We do not confess three Gods, but one God in three persons, the “consubstantial Trinity,

This makes no sense. I'm sure you know Jesus prayed to the Father on multiple occasions while on earth. So basically what you're saying is that there was a single God inside Jesus and the father at the same time while they were talking to each other? And also that when Stephen saw Jesus standing next to the Father that neither the Father nor the Son was God (because that would mean there were two Gods) but one God divided himself between the two of them? I was raised as a Protestant and believed in the trinity for the first 19 years of my life and no matter how much Catholics/Protestants don't like to admit it they most certainly teach there are 3 Gods. They say Jesus is God, the Father is God, and the Holy Spirit is God and you know it.

P.S I find it ironic that the ones defending the trinity have to rely on books and articles written by imperfect men to support there teaching. I wonder why. Is it because it is impossible to explain the trinity using only the Bible and not the aid of articles written by men? And I thought you guys already learned that lesson from the time you spent as JWs. Oh well, I guess some people just continue to make the same mistakes.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Blue Grass,

Please listen to the audio links I've posted above.

I'm not defending anything other than the DEFINITION of the Trinity doctrine. We simply cannot have this conversation if you don't understand WHAT the doctrine says.

-LWT

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

LeavingWT I know exactly what the definition of the trinity doctrine is as I use to believe in it and defend it myself. The fact that in order to explain the definition you have to go to a source outside the Bible to only proves my point.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

This thread isn't complete without noting the polytheism the WT wrote into the NWT. YHWH is God, "the Word was a god". Two beings identified as deities, but they deny the trinity. There it is, polytheism in the NWT mistranslation of John 1:1.

GLT

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    “We do not confess three Gods, but one God in three persons, the “consubstantial Trinity,” (Catholic Catechism, 75).
    This makes no sense. I'm sure you know Jesus prayed to the Father on multiple occasions while on earth. So basically what you're saying is that there was a single God inside Jesus and the father at the same time while they were talking to each other? And also that when Stephen saw Jesus standing next to the Father that neither the Father nor the Son was God (because that would mean there were two Gods) but one God divided himself between the two of them?

Educate yourself, first, because you're putting your foot in your mouth. Read this for a detailed explanation.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/trinity/index.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit