Injuries at Assemblies, who covers the cost

by CaptainSchmideo 16 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Well, I knew it would happen, and I wasn't surprised when it did.

A friend of mine, older brother with a heart condition, was assisting in shoveling snow at the Circuit Assembly this weekend (suit and tie, no less!) and slipped on the ice and cracked a couple of his ribs.

What is the likelihood that the Circuit or Society will assist or cover his medical bills? Any takers on this?

• sspo
    sspo

If he's got Medicare they'll pay for it.

If he does not and he wants the circuit to pay for it.....good luck, unless he sues them which most

likely he won't.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

What is the likelihood that the Circuit or Society will assist or cover his medical bills?

NONE. They will not pay anything, that's not how it works. He is supposed to make them money, not cost them money. At best the local cong may take donations for medical costs, but I woundn't hold my breath on that either.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

It may depend on who owns the facility where the CA is to be held. If the Watchtower owns it, he is out of luck. If the landlord is a "worldly" corporation, he could possibly sue them. However, most landlords, in a situation like this, require their tenants to carry Workers Compensation Insurance for their employees. It's written in the lease agreement. So it is possible that his work related injury is covered.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

There is always the resurrection, isn't there?

• garlic81
    garlic81

According to the convention operations manual (which I can't locate a link for right now) I believe an overseer is to immediately contact WT legal dept. Someone from the operations committee should keep following up with a local elder, who should keep checking on the injured as to injuries, etc. (probably to make sure the claims aren't exxagerated, especially in claims of serious injury)

The injured is encouraged to use any available medical insurance they may have. If the injured does not have insurance or it is exhausted they can forward copies of the bills to the elder who can give it to the operations committee who can give it WT legal and they can review for possible payment of actual expenses.

I'm sure no compensation would be provided for lost income, pain and suffering, etc. If you did pursue this I'm sure you'd be looked down on. Any compensation would probably limited to actual medical expenses.

• darthfader
    darthfader

A friend of mine's hand was seriously injured (lost part of his finger) doing some work for a CA a few years back. The CA paid for his medical bills, but he lost a significant amount of work time. There were no provisions for him to get compensation for lost wages. I think just about any volunteer worker risks the same things. The compensation of medical bills is up to the CO and local Elders. Of course he didnt go to any "top notch" doctor -- being a good witness, he tried every way to reduce his costs. His hand will never be the same.

Darth Fader

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember my mom telling me about ten or more years ago (she passed in 2006) that a young child fell down the steps at the CA at Belmont Racetrack in Queens, NY and died, the childs father was a non-believer. . . . . . . . anyone remember this or was there ??

• nelly136
    nelly136

surely as theyre organising an event they must by law have public and volunteer liability insurance?

maybe they have it it but depend on the goodwill of the drones to just not make a claim.

• wobble
    wobble

When we were working on building our K H (1981?) I forced the Elders hand so that they had to make all volunteers aware that they were not insured.

They then arranged a policy that each volunteer had to buy in to, or take the risk themselves. No input from Congo funds. Good of them huh ?

But at least it was out in the open before anyone got hurt.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit