SAD

by Cthulhu 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

I'm sure we are all aware of the condition known as SAD (Seasonal Affected Depression). Generally, for those who aren't familiar with it, this means that due, largely in part, to the lack of sunlight during the winter months, people experience feelings of depression. However, I am curious as to whether you may have observed something similar, but rather opposite, and I would appreciate your input. You see, I like rainy, gloomy days. Not as in "oh it's nice to listen to the rain on the roof." I mean, I feel good on those sorts of days. I feel good like people say they do when it is bright and sunny out. I get depressed on days where it is "nice" by the standards of most. It's been sunny and "beautiful" out for the last few days here and all I want to do is curl up in a ball in the corner and just weep. It sucks. It only seems to be on sunny days that it really hits me too. For instance, for those who may say "it's all in your head and based on some cooky preference," there have been days where I've felt that way, just shitty and down, barely able to handle people, etc., and noticed halfway or so through the day that I felt much better, relieved. What happened? It clouded up. It seems like that makes all the difference for me. So, my long winded comentary has been made in an effort to see if any of you know whether there is some sort of "condition" associated with that seemingly backward...disposition. Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

I thought this was going to be about a Special Assembly Day, lol.

I live in FL, so I've never experienced that much lack of sunlight.

When it is cold, cloudly or rainy here, I tend to enjoy it more. I hate the beach, the sun and usually keep my blinds closed. I hate mornings.

I'm pretty much a vampire.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You are OK.

Different strokes for different folks.

I read books from the end to the beginning.

Why?

That's just the way I roll.

Sylvia

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Jerkhovah - You sound like me. I've often wondered if I have any Transylvanian blood in me.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

You sound as if you have a type of depression, also called an affective disorder.

I forget its name but it is characterised by negative feelings during the sunny times of year. I am not a medic, but the low mood is triggered by the higher light levels, which cause a surge in certain neuro transmitters. There is a pill you can take for it which has been very successful.

Medics and nurses HELP!

(Is it Scully who is a nurse?)

HB

• Think About It
    Think About It

Jerkhovah - You sound like me. I've often wondered if I have any Transylvanian blood in me.

I always thought a movie about a JW vampire would be funny.

(Is it Scully who is a nurse?)

I think Scully might be the name of the head nurse.

Hope everybodys SAD is doing better.

Think About It

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I've noticed the same with me for decades. Back in High School when people would talk about Spring Fever, I just never got/understood it. Then suddenly one Autumn, something kicked in for me - Fall Fever!! I felt ALIVE. In winter (I grew up in NewJersey with snowy winters), I would get up early and go for pre-dawn walks in the fresh snow. In summer I would just want to sleep all day.

Didn't know that there was actually a clinical term for it. And rarely meet anyone who feels/felt the same.

Here is a link for basic, cursory info: http://depressiongrief.suite101.com/article.cfm/summer_depression

-Aude.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

I always thought a movie about a JW vampire would be funny.

Someone wrote a book about one: http://bloodwitness.com/

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In the northern hemisphere, it should be starting to fade about now. We are halfway into winter, and spring is coming soon. And with it, the return to daylight until well after 7 PM. You should feel better, if this is your major problem, once that happens. The bad news is, in the southern hemisphere, the days are getting shorter and you are halfway through summer--your problems will begin in a few months.

In the meantime, that is one good reason not to take down your Christmas lights too soon. People put them up to add cheer during December, and then they go and take them down in early January. The gloom season actually lasts from a couple of weeks before Halloween up to around the end of February in the northern hemisphere, and into March the farther north you get. If you are still feeling lousy because of this, I advise leaving your Christmas lights up until the days start getting at least 12 hours long. If you worry about your electricity bill or about starting a fire, LED lights are recommended for this. As a bonus, the more people that leave their Christmas lights up until the days start getting reasonably bright and long, the more people are going to benefit.

• fokyc
    fokyc

"Summertime depression" IS well documented, just Google it!

fokyc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit