Are JWs discouraged from seeking mental help?

by Kristina1972 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

I agree with your assessment WuzLovesDubs. It will probably take decades for the culture to change, if ever.

om

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In addition, many JWs feel it is noble to suffer, even if the suffering is easily remedied. They live in self-imposed poverty and can't afford therapy, anyway.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    The WT org doesn't like for JW's to go to a marriage counselor either. They know that the counselor might suggest that the JW lifestyle/rules is what is making them unhappy- so quit going to the meetings and see, if you feel better!

I always wondered about that, Moshe. Are there any WT articles about this, or is it another unwritten "suggestion"? My trouble with the Ex seemed to get a lot worse when we discussed counseling, and I proposed one stipulation: an impartial counselor--not an elder. We never did see a counselor, she hired a lawyer instead.

GLT

• ufo1
    ufo1

Just this weekend my father was put in the hospital for mental problems/emotional breakdown. He is an elder and has been one for about 20 years. Today he is being move to another area hospital with an advanced psych ward. Would it be good for me to try and talk to his doctor and mention that the WT is a high control group? Maybe even give him a copy of Dr. Bergmans book Jehovahs Witnesses and Mental Iillness?

We all know that hearing nothing but doom and gloom and that every thing is evil and bad except the WT, and then seeing the WT let you down is very depressing. But woud his doctor know this?

I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

• nugget
    nugget

Seeking professional help is failure. The standard advice seems to be get to all the meetings, do more study and service and all will be well.

When we told an elder that due to my sons condition we had been advised by a medical professional that he needed a regular bedtime routine and therefore could not go to Tuesday meetings since he had to be in bed by 7:30, my husband was told he would have to sort it out. How crass it that? I have sorted it out and will not be going on Tuesday, arse!

When my autistic nephew freaked out during prayers my sister was told he was possessed by a demon. Study, prayer and service would fix it. Quite frankly they are less enlightened than witch doctors.

One sister I knew suffered from OCD but was concerned about seeking professional help in case she was hypnotised.

The society is positively dangerous in the way it approaches any form of mental illness, they have failed the R&F and caused so much misery. At least I no longer feel the need to disrupt my son's routine so that I look good to a bunch of stupid men.

• nugget
    nugget

Open mind yes they mention that mental illness is treatable but the years of conditioning mean that people still reject the idea of seeking professional help until it is an extreme case. Remember that a lot of R&F don't have time to keep up to date on teachings and will cling to what they remember. This includes elders.

This is the problem many JWs live in the past and hold on to more extreme views to be on the safe side. We have all experienced advice being given that is not in line with the printed material.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

ufo1, I would tell the doctor and also make clear (if you're still "IN") that he can't let on that you told him because of the way the group functions.

And I had never heard of Bergman's book. Thanks for mentioning it; I'll add it to my "to read" list.

• ufo1
    ufo1

Thanks M.S.

I'm not sure if I spelled his mane correctly or if that is the exact title, so you may have to search a bit.

I am not in so no problem there, but I will still tell the doctor not to mention me. I'm wondering what, if any, encounters I might have with and witnesses visiting him at the same time I do.

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

Marriage councilling and therapy always make for some fun conversations with the MIL. Nothing that a talk with an elder can solve!

The biggest fear for the elders is that the person in therapy will eventually question the truth! Remember therapy does tell you what to think but opens doors to help make you think and only if the person is open to the suggestion.

One of the things my wife and I worked on in MC was empathy. How the other person feels, its not a strong point of mine but I found my Wife struggled with it even more. Therapy promotes free thinking the polar opposite of what the GB promotes.

The other thing is that our therapist will not promote cutting people off unless it is totally toxic and even then it is a last resort as the mess to sort out afterwards is even worse. Again a polar opposite of what the GB promotes and again something my wife struggles with because she is ingrained with disassociation being a norm.

Even in the real world ther is a stigma attached to going to see a therapist, but in faiths where it is not even encouraged, how many lives could be saved if they were more supportive of it.

Would it have saved those 8 people in Virgina?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit