Kids and wellies

by Simon 19 Replies latest jw friends

• KenUK
    KenUK

Thomas the Tank Engine???

Whats the matter with Bob the Builder wellies:-))

• hippikon
    hippikon

I've got Bananas In Pajamas wellies! Cant use them though - Its dryer than a wooden god here! And if you leave them out side Funelweb spiders just love to crawl into them! ouch!

• COMF
    COMF

Simon, in one of his books about his life as a Yorkshire veterinarian, James Herriot tells about his son's love for Wellingtons. He was in the habit of taking his boy with him on simpler calls, so bought him a pair so that he could negotiate the muddy, mucky farmyard environment. He describes how his son went proudly stomping about the house and yard, splashing in puddles and such.

A couple of times his son acted up at a customer's place and James had to corral him. To try to get him to straighten up, he told him, "It looks as though I'm going to have to find another young man to accompany me on my rounds."

He related that his son continued at what he was doing with nonchalant unconcern, until suddenly a startled look came on his face and he looked up at his dad and asked, "Would he get to have m' Wellingtons?"

COMF

PS Sorry, can't remember which book this was in. Herriot's Books, all of which are wonderful, highly recommended reading (in order of publication):

All Creatures Great and Small
    All Things Bright and Beautiful
    All Things Wise and Wonderful
    The Lord God Made Them All

• Princess
    Princess

Love your story Simon! My kids love their's too. I was at the gym today watching it rain while I climbed hundreds of stairs (ugh!) and I was thinking about buying some for myself so the kids and I can go for walks and stomp in puddles. What could be more fun? I think I'll look for a pair this week. Hard to find them for adults around here, but kids are everywhere! My daughters are red and blue with yellow daisies and my son's are green and covered with lizards. Wicked cool boots!

I'm inspired now...gonna buy me some wellies.

Princess

"Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening and live every day as if it were your last." -Irish Proverb

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

What is it with the Brits adding an "ie" to the end of words for the cutsey affect???

Wellies?

Nappies?

And that Brit dog trainer, that I saw on 60 minutes, would lead her pooch on a leash chirping "walkies"!!

GDW

• Simon
    Simon

We have local variations - esp with names:

Walk down a street in Liverpool and you'll hear people being called Stevie, Billie, Davie, Johnie etc...

In Machester, an 'o' gets added so people get calles Steve-o, Dave-o, Johno-o etc...

Why? Who knows ... we're all barking.

• cellomould
    cellomould

In the US, our funny word for rainboots is GALOSHES! (in UK too?)

ha! I used to love that word when I was a kid.
    I had some blue ones with Snoopy on one side and Woodstock on the other side.

he he he

"It was a dark and stormy night....."

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

In England, galoshes are waterproof covers for ordinary shoes...

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

us and canada too abaddon ... clearly cello is confused

• cellomould
    cellomould

I am sorry, but I have never used or even seen boots for rain that did not go over your shoes.

I suppose wellington boots would be that exception.

Sorry for confusing you <bitter_sarcasm>

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit