Commentary on the Letter of James

by lepermessiah 52 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It’s the book that says masturbation leads to homosexuality for example.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Concerning the book with a chapter about each of the major religions, I have always had a theory that it was written for the sole purpose of providing a ‘textbook’ for a ‘school’. For a ‘school’ to get credentialed by a government, so its graduates can get missionary status, for instance, the curriculum must contain study of all religions, not just one. Hence the book. This is my theory anyway, no one has ever agreed with me.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I never thought of that DOYKL !

I think you could well be right, at the time we JW's thought it was produced to help us with "witnessing" to all the people of various faiths we would meet in our D to D work.

The only thing I remember about it was that it was quite neutral in the way it presented the beliefs of others, whereas the other Org literature was always pointing out the errors of the faith of others.

I was always disappointed that they did not continue with the idea of Commentaries, but now I know the background I can understand that they dare not do it, any that followed the integrity shown in the James one would expose too many holes in JW Doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit