A honest question to all creationists

by bohm 71 Replies latest watchtower bible

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I have a question for those who believe in creation as well - if in fact, there is an intelligent force behind all that's around us, why does it logically follow that this force should be - or is worthy of - worship?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Which means that you're not a Fundamentalist or a Biblical literalist. You ACCEPT evidence, even when it contradicts Scripture. You then re-interpret or disregard the literal reading of Scripture.

The bible teaches us to question what is taught, to question what we "know" and when we find that soemthing is "incorrect" we must discover why.

Evidence shows us the validity of evolution and the lack of probability of a GLOBAL flood, so what do we do?

We try to understand what those "errors" mean and we try to do it honestly and within our system of belief ( or out of it as some have done).

If I was to believe that the bible is without error and that all that is written is the word and will of God, period, I would be left with a God that I don't want to know. But I have found God through Jesus and I WANT to knwo God through Jesus, so I have to find out what is what.

A work in progress indeed.

Evolution doesn't tell us how we got here, not from the very first step and it is my belief thet God set in motion the laws of physics and the reactions and events that started the cosmos.

Things are the way that are because they can't be any other way because God made them this way.

Within Christianity, today, this is a majority position. I think that's a good thing, especially for the non-Christians living within Christian communities.

The very meaning of being a christian, for me, (outside the Jesus part ) is the love and accepteance of ALL of God's children.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

PSac,

Your positions, IMHO, are exactly what I would expect to find from someone who (a) refuses to ignore the evidence and (b) committed to the idea that Christianity is correct.

Is that fair?

-LWT

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

LWT,

Absolutly.

You see, to me, Christanity has to be correct, why?

I found Jesus and it changed my life, brought peace to my life, even in the middle of my JW family, I have never viewed the world with such love and hope and when I think of my Lord Jesus, I think of a love and compassion that...well...lets be a man shall we, LOL!

I didn't find Jesus in a church, or in a hall or in an organization, I found Jesus in very personal way and then I picked up the NT and read it and found Jesus there too and found NOT the JW God, but Jesus's father and MY FATHER too and I felt their love through the HS.

Do I think that Christanity is for all?

I dont think so but I know that Jesus's truth and message ( love) is for all.

My faith is not shattered or questioned by evidence "against" the bible, or evidence "against" God, it is strengthened.

So far anyways :)

But I can't and won't dismiss what is nor will I dismiss what I many not like to hear, if I did then my faith would be very weak indeed.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

PSac,

It's refreshing to hear someone basically say that "it's right for me at this time", rather than a fundamentalist/dogmatic statement of absolute fact, etc.

I think we can both understand one another. It's not necessary that we be at odds or enemies, because we see things differently. As you stated above, "the very meaning of being a Christian" is more than abstract doctrine and love for the inconceivable.

-LWT

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that, at best, the only thing any one of us imperfect humans can ever say is: "It's right for me at this time".

While some posters are at times "extremists" against God and it can be very hurtful for us that are "moderates" I never felt you were one of those.

And I know why they feel that way and understand.

I have always believed that "agreeing to disagree" is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I take Jesus's words to heart: "Love each other as I have loved you" and if I believe that Jesus was willing to suffer and die for that love, then the least I can do is show that love as compassion, accepteance and tolerance for all of Our Fathers children and hope that they feel the same way about me.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Very interesting discussion!

Unfortunately, time constraints do not permit me to post long replies; but jaguarbass, I look forward to reading Slave Species of God by Michael Tillinger; thanks for the recommendation.

WHEN SCIENCE MEETS RELIGION is all about this exact topic by Ian G. Barbour - check it out. Really good reading.

• freydo
    freydo

Honest answer to those who fall for evolutionism.

"Evolution is impossible. You can't take two monkeys and come up with a human because chromosomes would be missing. But you can go the other way and take two humans and come up with something pretty close to monkey. There are a lot of people like that." - R Buckminster Fuller

• cofty
    cofty

Freydo - really?

Please make an effort to grasp the basics of what you are dismissing. Human chromosome 2 is a powerful piece of evidence for common ancestry.

I'm sure you have spent countless hours learning about your beliefs, why not commit some serious time and effort learning what biologists have discovered. It is the most fascinating thing you will ever do

• bohm
    bohm

freydo: What are your thoughts about the questions in the topic?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit