Did you start out as a "Reformer"?

by lepermessiah 15 Replies latest jw friends

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

How many of you started out down this road as someone who knew there were lots of problems and holes in the doctrine of the religion but wanted to be "part of the solution" as what I would call a "reformer"?

For a long time, I wanted to be an outstanding elder since I thought so many of them were @$$holes, but I found out after a while the majority of the good ones are chewed up and spitten out in the organization.The others who start out with the right motives either fall in line or get run over.

Unfortunately, I kept that delusion up for many years - and just about killed myself doing it. Thats when the light went on and I finally figured out why I was so miserable doing it - it was all for naught - you cant change it. I was serving men and not God. I was tired of hearing "Wait on Jehovah", "Things will change, but it takes time", etc.......It all came down to simple politics and who was in positions of authority.

I know a few friends who as "sisters" in the congregation did the same thing for the ministry - there were problems and squabbling among the pioneers, a few divas who thought that the world revolved around them, and yet my friends would be "well, I want to go out and be supportive of the others, so they have someone to work with" and they decided to pioneer. Of course, my friends all quit pioneering and were beat up and dejected by the end.

I guess that I am curious at how long some of you stuck it out thinking despite all of the crap that it was still the "truth", and when did you realize that nothing would change? That it was all, as Ray Franz said, "A Myth"?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

My two cents. . .

If you've ever spent ANY time at Bethel, you KNOW within your heart of hearts that "Reform" is never going to happen.

Leadership is drunk on power and authority.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There are Two Ways in the WBT$..

The WBT$ Way.

Or..

The HighWay..

There is no Reform in the WBT$..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Did you start out as a "Reformer"?

You can't shine shit.

Farkel

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    You can't shine shit.
    Farkel

Too Funny

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

You can't shine shit.

Why does it take us so long to figure that out?????

The only thing that gets "reformed" is your sanity.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I read about people taking years to go through the process of figuring out that reform is impossible but I feel like for me, it was the hard line authoritarianism that was key to my investigating other things in the first place. I had no thought of reform really because it was the realization that those at the top have no interest in the views of those beneath them that got me started on my journey.

I feel like I'm on a fast track to DF though. I can barely stand the meetings and can hardly keep my disdain from bursting out whenever I'm around any of the people from the KH.

• tjlibre
    tjlibre

I’ve been on the conscious path for at least a year now. Sometimes I entertain the thought of being an agent of change or reform. But after reading R.F books and the experiences from the posters here, I’ve come to the conclusion that the core problems with the WT/JW religion are way to too ingrained for change. If no significant reform was attained after the 1975 debacle and the 1980 shake-up…I don’t see why they would make any reform now. At least not from the “inside”, if anything, it’ll be as a result of outside pressure, from things like the bad economy, unfavorable government mandates or laws, etc.

The current system is set to do what you said…to “chew up” and “spit out” reformers and to squash the “revolutionary”. Any good work you do towards reform, it’ll get undone by the talks in the assemblies, by CO’s, the publications, etc.

One of the best things that we can do is help others see the truth about the truth…or at least direct them into the path of discovery. Soon they’ll have an empire full of mentally unloyal subjects.

I hear that the coordinators (PO’s) got some sort of ‘top-secret’ information in the elders school about upcoming changes. The CO keeps making references to ‘changes to come’, etc. I don’t know what’s up their sleeves…I only hope it is significant.

• tjlibre
    tjlibre

reposted-fonts too small.

I’ve been on the conscious path for at least a year now. Sometimes I entertain the thought of being an agent of change or reform. But after reading R.F books and the experiences from the posters here, I’ve come to the conclusion that the core problems with the WT/JW religion are way to too ingrained for change. If no significant reform was attained after the 1975 debacle and the 1980 shake-up…I don’t see why they would make any reform now. At least not from the “inside”, if anything, it’ll be as a result of outside pressure, from things like the bad economy, unfavorable government mandates or laws, etc.

The current system is set to do what you said…to “chew up” and “spit out” reformers and to squash the “revolutionary”. Any good work you do towards reform, it’ll get undone by the talks in the assemblies, by CO’s, the publications, etc.

One of the best things that we can do is help others see the truth about the truth…or at least direct them into the path of discovery. Soon they’ll have an empire full of mentally unloyal subjects.

I hear that the coordinators (PO’s) got some sort of ‘top-secret’ information in the elders school about upcoming changes. The CO keeps making references to ‘changes to come’, etc. I don’t know what’s up their sleeves…I only hope it is significant.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I remember when I was first appointed an elder. I actually believed that I could make a difference and change things (at least locally). I thought COs would listen to my ideas (hahahaha - I was naive and in my late 20s so I thought anything was possible). At first, I picked my battles but after a while I realized that I may be able to be a "force for good" in some rare instances locally, that wasn't the real problem. The real problem is the organization. It really has a life of its own and while I think it will continue to morph it will never truly reform. To reform would mean letting go of the reigns and losing control. Yet, control is the lifeblood of the organization. Without it, the org really doesn't have a purpose.

Interestingly, my dad & I had a conversation recently in which he tried the whole "if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem" line of reasoning. It bothers him that I "stepped aside". I haven't been completely honest for my reasons other than "burnout". I know he sees through that because he knows that I can handle a pretty large amount of stress and be fine. I believe he realizes that I don't fully believe because when you get right down to it, I don't think he fully believes either.

I think it speaks volumes when every elder that I'm close to has a list of complaints yet still believes it's "God's Organization". If that's the case, I argue, then God will fix the problems without my involvement. If not, then why bother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit