Cult expert S.Hassan speaks out on witnesses in Russia.

by koolaid-man 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Most of those clips in the background didn't have anything to do with wts other than 2 or 3 maybe, which is unfortunate because dubs will point to that and claim that their faith isn't bogus and will claim media persecution.

• dgp
    dgp

Awildflower said:

Not even a fraction of the people would have become jw's if the information had been told them up front.

Exactly. Hassan is right because he insists on this.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I don't see how paying...income taxes on profits restricts or prohibits the free exercise of religion

Income taxes aren't a problem, as long as they can be organized as a "not for profit" group with 501(c)(3) status. Many types of organizations legally pay no tax: educational, scientific, philanthropic, athletic, etc. The exemption from income tax is not unique to religions.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Here's the definition of a not-profit organization from the IRS:

The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.

The purpose of granting this status is because these organizations are supposed to be working for the good of the community with NO profit motive. I simply disgree with the IRS in their definition of charitable when it includes organizations that advance religion. I think its a direct violation of the 1st amendment because the State has no business advancing any religion. Freedom of religion is an important right but I fail to see how allowing religious organizations amass large amounts of wealth (cash, property, whatever) without paying for the burden they place on the government can be deemed charitable. If they're actually engaged in real charitable activity such as running a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc. then fine. Make those funds deductible and tax whatever profit they make.

I realize religious organizations are very powerful and that's the real reason why they are considered charitable. It doesn't make it constitutional or right.

• andy5421
    andy5421

Most of those clips in the background didn't have anything to do with wts other than 2 or 3 maybe, which is unfortunate because dubs will point to that and claim that their faith isn't bogus and will claim media persecution.

--diamondizz

just curious about the clips what were they, i recognized maybe like 2 or 3 JW clips but the rest is unknown

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

andy: if I remember correctly the exact same video was played by RT media when they were discussing jw and cults in Russia severl months ago and the same video was used this time when only JW was discussed. The video includes some clips of jws but others are most likely other cults in Russia, what groups these may be, I really don't know.

• chigaimasmaro
    chigaimasmaro

I enjoyed both videos that were posted. I have to say though, that governments always have a hard time coming up with a law thats fair to those who are cults and those who are just religious (liked Buddist and those who may believe in other earth based religions). The JW's , Mormons and the rest should disclose more about their religious practices besides just the preaching campaign. But that won't happen, because they would lose a lot of the control they would like to have over the "flock" so to speak.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I read Hassan's book years ago on mind control it's too bad he didn't take it a step further and stop believing in an invisible Sky Daddy one of the chief tools used by those who manipulate the mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit