Cult expert S.Hassan speaks out on witnesses in Russia.

by koolaid-man 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

theres a commercial with two little girls and a man says to the first one do you want a pony? she says yes and he gives her a small pony toy then he asks the same of the other girl she says yes and he brings out a live pony the first girl says you didn't say iI could have a real one and he says you didn't ask and a voice says even kids know its not right to hold out. my point is full disclosure is important. I was not raised awitness I became one in my 30's from a door to door contact . I knew zip about jws. I didn't know what questions to ask. this was the mid 80's and I thought what they told me was the way it had been from the start I thought I knew what I believed however they were so nice & friendly & had parties and I thought I was asking questions but now I realize I didn't even know anything had even happened in 75 so how could I ask about it. there was alot I didn't know and now all I have discovered makes me feel like that first little girl who said I didn't know I could have a real one.

• doublelife
    doublelife

Darn, I'm at work right now. Will watch the when I get home.

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Mary, great replies and good idea to redirect interested ones to the discussion board.

You may have spooked all the JWs away though when you identified yourself as a former JW, aka apostate.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Religion should NEVER be tax free imo.

Perhaps, but that would run afoul of this if you're a U. S. citizen:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
  • sir82
    sir82

How would a tax on religions violate the 1st amendment? Such a tax would not establish any religion, nor prohibit anyone from joining it or worshipping in its particular way.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Not only would taxes be a "law respecting the establishment of religion," taxes would "prevent the free exercise" of religion. You can't get much clearer than that.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Steve Hassan is a good man for speaking out.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

LeavingWT... I seem to quote you quite a lot! Here is another one of your gems that needs to be repeated:

Unfortunately, it's hard to recruit people into a destructive, apocalyptic, mind control cult by being honest with them.
  • Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Although I disagree with banning any religion per se, I do think they are given special unfair treatment and would like to see 2 things happen:

1 - Any tax exemptions should be revoked. I don't see how paying property taxes and income taxes on profits restricts or prohibits the free exercise of religion any more than saying my paying property taxes or income taxes restricts my freedom of speech. In my opinion, the freedom FROM religion is just as protected under the first amendment as freedom OF religion. By religion not paying its fair share for various services provided by the government, they force those not affiliated to pick up the tab. Tax exemptions give religion preferential treatment. Their profits should be taxed at the corporate tax rate on profits because that's what they are. I would say they should be able to deduct monies used for charitable services but the problem is the tax code says religious instruction is charitable services. That's why the WTS can avoid taxes although they use very little funds toward true charity work. The inherent bias in the US legal system is towards religion. Not necessarily to promote any one religion or a state religion, but they do go out of their way to give religion protection that no other type of corporate is afforded. Putting a tax on a particular religion or establishing a religious tax is unconstitutional. Making them pay property taxes and income taxes that everyone else pays? I can't see how that would be unconstitutional.

2 - The WTS, Amish, Scientologist, etc hide behind the 1st amendement when they treat former members poorly and slander them. The WTS & Christian Scientists hide behind the 1st amendment when they coerce people into dangerous behavior regarding medical care. I think individuals shoudl be allowed to sue for damages in these cases and religions be held responsible when their teachings cause harm. Sure, they can teach what they want, but they shouldn't be given protection from their own teachings.

People should have the freedom to believe what they want. But religious organizations should be held responsible for their bad behavior.

• andy5421
    andy5421

Can someone describe what the clips were used in the background?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit