Beards?

by Think About It 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

When I went in, I shaved mine because I was becoming a JW. When I left I grew it back because I was becoming an xjw. I still have it. Nobody in the business community in Seattle even notices, nor did anybody at our church care. It is one more nonissue to become a matter of control.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

I had a gotee when I went to the last dist assembly in 06. The people who knew me looked at me like I had grown a 2nd head. Others thought I was new or studing, and asked all kinds of stupid questions. I loved the look on their faces when I told them I was baptized in 1980. I just had to go out with them knowing that I was out by the beard and saying that most of the teachings were non sense.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

I always had a problem with the no beards policy, even questioning the "We do everything by the bible" BS. Every male in the bible had a beard, what is the problem. To follow the scriptures accurately, every male in the cong should have one too. Never got a straight answer, but african american brothers can have one if they claim that it is his costom, they can also have short hair or shaved heads. I cought all kinds of shit because I had a flat top hair cut. Would not be appointed as elder because of having one, if you were black it was no problem. I made a pretty big scene because of the double standards. I can show pictures of Scotts and Irish with beards, part of my custom too, but no, not permissable for me.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Beards and moustaches are increasingly common here, also from the platform at conventions. No-one bothers.

• God Chick
    God Chick

i knew a brother who refused to shave his coz he had bad scars. He wasnt allowed to do anything, no talks, no jobs no witnessing.

Never understood it. Men in Bible had one, heck some werent even allowed to cut their hair. Come on make it a 'new light' issue and change your mind like everything else and let those who want one have one. Too many stupid rules!

• teel
    teel

Their reason is, that it could stumble someone and he won't take the literature from you, because you might look like a hobo A nicely groomed hobo with a nice costume and tie. More likely a salesmen. Beards nowadays give more an air of intellect than of homeless guy.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It depends on what congregation you go to. A friend of mine is serving as an MS with a gootee in a neighbouring congregation, whereas I know some from a nother congregation who was told to shave his off if wanted to remain an appointed man.

• zoiks
    zoiks

The CO also has a say in this. Our last CO indicated that one of his dislikes was sideburns. Instantly, 90% of the young guys in the circuit who were trying to get appointed lost their sideburns.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The CO also has a say in this.

Truly God's Organisation

• hecouldbewrong
    hecouldbewrong

Traditions of men...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit