Why Do Americans Live Shorter Lives Yet Spend So Much for Health Care ???

by RubaDub 31 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

I also read that the United States includes statistics on car accidents in these numbers comparisons and other countries do not.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I would love to see a law passed that would require all Senators and Representatives to wear on their suits the logos of all of the companies that provide them with "gifts" or "donations".

The logos' sizes will be determined by the proportional size of the gifts and donations.

Think Nascar Jumpsuit... only a business suit.

• undercover
    undercover
    I would love to see a law passed that would require all Senators and Representatives to wear on their suits the logos of all of the companies that provide them with "gifts" or "donations".

There was a political cartoon out this week that illustrated just that. They showed some fatcat politicians going to work wearing suits with all the major companies names stamped on them. I tried to find it but couldn't. I couldn't remember who drew it.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I suspect there would be an amazing correlation between the goals of the sponsoring companies and the goals of the Senators and Representatives.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

This was actually part of a blog about the supreme court ruling but I thought it fit in it's own way - sammieswife.

As Chris Hedges, who wrote Empire Of Illusions, says "Our for-profit health care system makes money off of death, the same way our arms merchants make money off of death. And the inability within our country to face this reality, the inability in a corporatized media to even have this discussion is, I think, evidence of the power of the corporate state, which drives debate, which permits institutions that are morally bankrupt to have a seat at the table. And that is symptomatic of a society in deep decay." We are beyond the point of no return and only a full fledged populist revolt can right this badly listing Republic. Under G.W. Bush, torture became legal and under Obama, bribery has just become legal.

• yesidid
    yesidid
    I also read that the United States includes statistics on car accidents in these numbers comparisons and other countries do not.

You're having a little joke at our expense?

• hecouldbewrong
    hecouldbewrong

The premise is flawed and overly simple. We're meant to think that the presence of a busy healthcare system should equal longer lifespans. To me, a bustling, billion dollar healthcare industry indicates the presence of a great deal of disease and poor health. Or perhaps, an exploitive industry.

• awildflower
    awildflower

I don't know if this would help but Oprah's show today was all about the food we actually eat and what's in it. And one of the points made by the guest author was that we spend way to much on health care and yet we spend very little on food. Meaning food is cheap and it's showing in more ways than none. Google the show or catch it tonight when it re-airs. Very interesting. Made me think a lot more about what I want in my body. The show was based on a documentary that's out called Food Inc. (I think). Just one thought.......wf

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Well I have to ask myself what's the big deal about living a couple of years longer if we are all going to die anyway?

Of course I don't want spend a lot of money on health care heck I haven't been to a doctor in over 12 years.

There is a problem with over population? So maybe it ain't as bad as it seems if some countries beat us by a few short years to the inevitable grave that awaits us all.

From a purely logical point of view:

We have the ever increasing problems of weakening the human species by interrupting the natural process of those best adapted for survival get to pass on their genes while those not best suited don't. This I'm sure will have serious consequences in the future and may even cause our extinction if we don't play our cards right.

While I don't like paying high taxes, big medical bills, and if I got really sick I would love for the government pay my bills,,but deep down my feeling is I don't care if I live to only 70 instead of 75 years, I'm going to die anyway. The important thing to me is I'm still kicking when I go.

• frankiespeakin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit